Military Vehicles "in the wild"

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Tue 8 Mar 2016 11:44

Soo.. what's the most peculiar place you've seen military vehicles in the wild? In the wild being, not in a staged environment. I'm looking to see what maybe y'all have seen, I've seen some pretty interesting things myself, likely don't compare to what some of Euros have seen for the last 70-ish years..

But I've seen some different things I believe

USAF HH-60 land across the street from my house, for what seemed like no reason at all.. just decided to land, engines going for like.. and hour, had me salty as all hell.. I was not in the mood to be hearing that shit

USMC CH-53's scoop water out of a nearby lake to put out wildfires

USMC convoy full of various LAV's, HMMWV's, & LVS' driving through town during a flash flood.. never officially figured out what they where doing.. especially since the nearest Marine Corps base was Twentynine Palms, had me baffled.. like "did they drive all the way up here from Camp Pendleton? Are they coming from MCLB Barstow? WTF?"

& just today.. F-16's & C-130's from Hill AFB doing Touch n Go's at Ogden-Hinckley airport.. why? Who the f**k knows sometimes mann
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 8 Mar 2016 12:41

Saw a lot of MHOV's and Unimog's the other week, likely due to the crisis following the Fiji cyclone.

There was also a training exercise the other week where Singapore sent alot of it's mechanized division here. So we saw a lot of Bronco's just lying around the place for a while.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Tue 8 Mar 2016 15:23

Canadian military trucks on the highway , one of them hitting a civilian car

I was just next to them
Of Salt

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 8 Mar 2016 15:35

The Blackhawks that fly over my house only a few hundred feet off the ground. Shakes the windows and all
Courtesy of KattiValk

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Tue 8 Mar 2016 15:53

Back at home: F-18s, Hawks, NH-90s and MD500s up in the air.
Basically all types of FDF military trucks in the traffic.
XA-180s, XA-185s, XA-203s + HQ and Crotale NG AA-variants, XA-360s, and AMOS.
Leopard 2A4s, modernized BMP-2(Fin)s, Mt-Lbs, T-55M(Fin) w. mine-clearing equipment installed, CV90s, T-72s, S21s SP-guns, Sisu Nasus and Bandwagens, Norwegian CV90s.

Overseas (Kosovo and BiH):
NH-60 Blackhaws, AH-64 Apaches, Swiss Pumas(or Super-Pumas, can't really tell the difference), Hueys of some type, US and Soviet-made cargo planes. Fuchs (ambulance and regular APC variants), VEC-M1s, Swedish XA-180s w. autocannon turrets, Hungarian BTR-80s, Humvees, Panhard VBLs and VABs, Bradley IFVs in Camp Bondsteel (from a distance, could't discern the exact model since I only saw a glance), Irish Mowag APCs...
Main Supply Route traffic and cross-brigade missions around central Kosovo in 2005-2006 were a real treat if you had even a slight interest towards military equipment. I might be able to find some decent photos from those days as well if I dig around a bit.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 8 Mar 2016 17:01

Apaches fly over a lot. There is also a lot of troops and vehicles in Xinjiang right now. There was even a Chinese Flanker taxiing down the same runway our plane was taking off on.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 8 Mar 2016 19:16

Mike wrote:The Blackhawks that fly over my house only a few hundred feet off the ground. Shakes the windows and all

I miss watching them fly along the beaches along Grand Haven and Muskegon. There was one pilot who would fly so low to the water you'd almost think they were skimming it. Was very impressive to watch. Sometimes at Pere Marquette they would do some minor tricks as well.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

TheGreenSpeed
Staff Sergeant

Postby TheGreenSpeed » Tue 8 Mar 2016 19:45

I occasionally see A-10s fly over the beach where I guard.

Last summer, a pair of F-22s flew over.

America Boners all around.
""You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Tue 8 Mar 2016 19:46

I saw an M113 hooked up to a lonely trailer by the train tracks once.

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Tue 8 Mar 2016 21:00

My parents had the national guard land a chinook nearby their house when the Russian River (in California) flooded in 1986.

The Santa Rosa National Guard Base has a M728 parked on the highway side of the base. You can see it when you drive by on HIghway 101. Easily identified thanks to Leet Wargame Skillz. 8-)

In my last house I got to see the Coast Guard's Dauphine practice all kinds of stuff no more than 800 yards away. They've even taken water out of my pond to handle a small brush fire. My poor fish. :cry:

Now that I am nearby Portland I see a lot of military aircraft fly over because of a nearby national guard base. Mostly Blackhawks. They are always flying north or south almost directly over the apartment. The usually go high enough that it isn't too much of a bother.

The coolest sighting I had was when I was in the Pearl District of Portland a month or two ago. Four F-15's with drop tanks flew over in a line formation. The last one in the line waved his wings, and then layed on the afterburner for a few seconds. The increase of noise, plus the channeling effects of the buildings made it so loud that everyone on the street and even folks in cars looked up.

Return to “Off-Topic”