Military Vehicles "in the wild"

User avatar
Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 13730
Joined: Mon 9 Jul 2012 02:46
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Killertomato » Wed 9 Mar 2016 00:52

Halfway down the nordlandsbanen somewhere near mo I Rana.

Look to the right, see a highway. See a truck carrying a pair of tan humvees. The new kind with the gunner's fancy turret. Even in Norway the US military is always with me.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12409
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Mike » Wed 9 Mar 2016 03:23

Fade2Gray wrote:
Mike wrote:The Blackhawks that fly over my house only a few hundred feet off the ground. Shakes the windows and all


I miss watching them fly along the beaches along Grand Haven and Muskegon. There was one pilot who would fly so low to the water you'd almost think they were skimming it. Was very impressive to watch. Sometimes at Pere Marquette they would do some minor tricks as well.


The coolest thing I saw was about four F-22s flying around near the AFB. Pretty tight formation at one point then it looked like a couple of them had a little fun. 8-)
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant
Posts: 1472
Joined: Tue 12 Nov 2013 12:23
Location: Southern California, USA
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Wed 9 Mar 2016 09:40

I love when you can tell the pilots are having a good time.. I used to live near Edwards AFB, and you'd see all sorts of planes going full afterburner, ready to break that sound barrier just loving their damn job..
Image
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

User avatar
nWODT_Niack
Captain
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu 7 Jun 2012 01:42
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby nWODT_Niack » Wed 9 Mar 2016 13:33

Most peculiar place ?
Last winter, a pair of V-22 shuttling from the local airfield to Canjuers Camp, going over my family house several times a day. Man those things are loud. The sound is also quite unique.

Most peculiar position :
Some years ago :
Spoiler : :
Image
Image
Croche et Tient

Falcrack
Lieutenant
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sat 18 Feb 2012 21:10
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Falcrack » Wed 9 Mar 2016 16:02

Back when I lived in Tucson and worked at U of A, a day didn't go by when I didn't see several A-10s or F-16s coming in over us for landing.

User avatar
Bullfrog
General
Posts: 5308
Joined: Sat 11 Aug 2012 23:48
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Bullfrog » Wed 9 Mar 2016 16:03

Mike wrote:The coolest thing I saw was about four F-22s flying around near the AFB. Pretty tight formation at one point then it looked like a couple of them had a little fun. 8-)


Same, I've also seen -35s and most 4th gen.

Honestly, you live in tidewater long enough and it becomes easier to list the things you haven't seen.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Image

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12409
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Mike » Wed 9 Mar 2016 16:23

Bullfrog wrote:
Mike wrote:The coolest thing I saw was about four F-22s flying around near the AFB. Pretty tight formation at one point then it looked like a couple of them had a little fun. 8-)


Same, I've also seen -35s and most 4th gen.

Honestly, you live in tidewater long enough and it becomes easier to list the things you haven't seen.


Oh yeah, F-15s, F-16s and F/A-18s aren't shit to see. I've probably seen 35s but my eyesight is so bad I didn't realize it. :lol:
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
Butterless Toast
First Sergeant
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri 26 Jul 2013 14:19
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Butterless Toast » Wed 9 Mar 2016 18:46

We get a lot of RAF stuff flying over my house, mostly Chinooks and Hawks, but we've had a C-17 come 300ft over us once. For a flying whale like that, they're surprisingly quiet. We also used to get loads of Nimrods (RIP), so hopefully P-8s in the future.

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Fade2Gray » Wed 9 Mar 2016 18:54

Mike wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:
Mike wrote:The Blackhawks that fly over my house only a few hundred feet off the ground. Shakes the windows and all


I miss watching them fly along the beaches along Grand Haven and Muskegon. There was one pilot who would fly so low to the water you'd almost think they were skimming it. Was very impressive to watch. Sometimes at Pere Marquette they would do some minor tricks as well.


The coolest thing I saw was about four F-22s flying around near the AFB. Pretty tight formation at one point then it looked like a couple of them had a little fun. 8-)



I've seen Nighthawks and Spirits, but never a Raptor before. Sometimes they would cruise around Fort Bliss and the Sentinel teams would practice acquiring them.

The radar PATRIOT uses never had trouble picking them up for that matter. I was curious to see if Raptors did any better or not.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

User avatar
Excroat3
Captain
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue 17 Dec 2013 00:28
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Military Vehicles "in the wild"

Postby Excroat3 » Wed 9 Mar 2016 19:00

Live near Great Lakes Naval Base, so every now and then you can see the Blackhawks flying around carrying SEALs who do training on base. One time I even saw the guy hanging his legs out of the door of the helicopter :D
Other than that, the occasional humvee will drive by.
Image

Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests