nVidia Pascal

Prettyhill
Chief Warrant Officer

nVidia Pascal

Postby Prettyhill » Mon 9 May 2016 11:17

You are probably well aware of the reveal this weekend. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080Time for an upgrade? The 1070 appears to be an absolute killer in terms of value for money. The 1080 is by some sources clamied to be a great overclocker.
"Am i really discussing wargames here with people who have never heard of Fistful of TOWs? I guess that explains why no one has a clue as to what a wargame is then." -Sharky Ward

Megiddo
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: nVidia Pascal

Postby Megiddo » Mon 9 May 2016 11:35

Yep :D

Have waited for a long time and was about to upgrade my GC (an old 660GTX) to a GTX 970, but will definitely wait for the early june to take a GTX 1070.

New Architecture, 8Go GDDR5 Vram, it is said that this card will have about three times the performances of the GTX 970 for approximately the same price, around 380-400€. R.I.P Maxwells.

I'll wait a few days after the launch to have some feedback about the pilots, the cooling and generally the new hardware itself because, well, these will be the first versions of the new Pascal architecture, but this one is definitely on my shopping list. Their timing is perfect :D
That's the saddest part of the story. I was getting used to think, after nearly three decades of its existence, that the word "Strategy" was the main cornerstone of the RTS genre and golden age.

delfo
Major-General

Postby delfo » Mon 9 May 2016 11:51

This is the only thing missing from my new setup after the old one decided to die. I kept the old graphics card so I could wait.

Frencho
Lieutenant

Postby Frencho » Mon 9 May 2016 13:47

When it comes to enthusiast PC components, I only upgrade with huge TOCKS. Thus allowing me to upgrade every 4-5 years, instead of every 2.

Pascal seems to be that Tock. But I'll still wait for a 1080 Ti version, which should come in early 2017.
I'm also waiting on Intel Kaby Lake (semi-tock) to upgrade my CPU.

Prettyhill
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Prettyhill » Mon 9 May 2016 14:07

I have a similar uprgade policy as you Frencho. I bulild e new rig approx. every 6 years, with a mid life upgrade after 3. Im currently sitting on a i7-920 @3.8 ghz and e GTX670. Therefore its time for a new rig. For the first time, I plan on building a rig without major compromises (grown up economy, as compared to being a student at last upgrade). I am going for the 1080, as it appears that its better value for money than 980 was compared to 970.

A saw people trying to panic sell their 980ti's on the Norwegian equivalent to eBay on Saturday for 600EUR asking price :D
"Am i really discussing wargames here with people who have never heard of Fistful of TOWs? I guess that explains why no one has a clue as to what a wargame is then." -Sharky Ward

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Mon 9 May 2016 14:13

Yeah my next rig will be built this year as well.
Viker for ingen!

Frencho
Lieutenant

Postby Frencho » Mon 9 May 2016 15:04

By the way, I really want AMD to get it's shit together and do a furious counterattack against Nvidia/Intel!
Competition drives prices down.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 9 May 2016 15:41

Frencho preaching it and fighting the good fight.

Kinda wish I had not upgraded last fall now. Bumped into a lot of issues with the 970 (first one being it's fucking HUGE and despite having a full size ThermalTake tower, it was very hard to make it fit) and now I'm curious how well this thing compares size wise.

Time to look into it more.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Mon 9 May 2016 16:45

Frencho wrote:By the way, I really want AMD to get it's shit together and do a furious counterattack against Nvidia/Intel!
Competition drives prices down.

Aren't AMD launching their new 14-18 nm line soon?
Viker for ingen!

Frencho
Lieutenant

Postby Frencho » Mon 9 May 2016 17:59

orcbuster wrote:Aren't AMD launching their new 14-18 nm line soon?

I hope so.
I've never owned any AMD/ATI GPUs or CPUs because due to my PC building policy, I go for Tocks best of the best in order to upgrade every 5 years. Time is money, I dislike the hassle of yearly upgrades.

So I've never followed them, no idea what's AMD Strategy.

Still, I hear AMD is great for bargain users or those who prefer to upgrade often and cheaply.
Last edited by Frencho on Mon 9 May 2016 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”