[Non-included Coalition] Neutral Central Europe (Austria+Switzerland)

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: [Non-included Coalition] Neutral Central Europe (Austria+Switzerland)

Postby Eukie » Fri 12 May 2017 08:49

FrangibleCover wrote:Excellent. Will this replace the CG Fist team do you think? Remember that the US gets it's Cat-C ATGM team from Light Riflemen so I think you'd get away with replacing your Cat-C ATGM replacement team with light infantry.

Currently I've just added it as a bit of a note at the bottom of the spreadsheet. The Norrlandsjägere is in a bit of an awkward spot with its overly heavy recoilless rifle. (Really I'm just waiting for Steel Divisions: Fulda '89 so I can update all my spreadsheets with a fourth weapon slot, towed weapons, and dedicated machine gun squads. ;) )

FrangibleCover wrote:How sure are you about that 1400m figure, by the way? I was finding 2km range numbers for RAT-700 and that's certainly not what I'd think of as the traditional remit of recoilless rifles.

I just picked the longest range I could remember for an infantry recoilless rifle. Though the Norrlandsjägere has 1575 m, so 1575 m sounds good!
Mike wrote:
Eukie wrote:I originally rejected the M40 for being unwieldy and too heavy for infantry. This has a total weight of not much more than the Pvpj 1110 and is wheeled, just like the Pvpj 1110.

It's shoulder fired in game. :lol:

The M40 is lighter than the Pvpj 1110 when you don't consider the mount. ;)

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Fri 12 May 2017 15:42

Eukie wrote:The M40 is lighter than the Pvpj 1110 when you don't consider the mount. ;)

I'm having a hard time finding just the barrel weight actually. I keep getting 209.5 kg which I assume is the weight of the carriage and all.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Fri 12 May 2017 16:50

Mike wrote:I'm having a hard time finding just the barrel weight actually. I keep getting 209.5 kg which I assume is the weight of the carriage and all.

Finnish Wikipedia, of all places. And I was wrong: The M40 weighs 10 kg more than the Pvpj 1110.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Fri 12 May 2017 17:13

Eukie wrote:
Mike wrote:I'm having a hard time finding just the barrel weight actually. I keep getting 209.5 kg which I assume is the weight of the carriage and all.

Finnish Wikipedia, of all places. And I was wrong: The M40 weighs 10 kg more than the Pvpj 1110.

It's still funny that it's in game when TOW teams and HJ-8 teams were denied because of weight. :x
Courtesy of KattiValk

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Fri 12 May 2017 21:32

I found a nice photo of the SK105A3. Rejoice at the M60-level turret armour, M68 gun with fully stabilized autoloader for 10-12 rpm ROF, two-plane stabilization, thermal optics, laser rangefinder, and digital FCS.

I also found a note on the always trustworthy GlobalSecurity.com[/s] that the SK105A2 was upgraded to use a french 105 mm smoothbore gun in 1985, for firing APFSDS rounds.

It also appears that most Swiss Panzer 61s were upgraded to AA7/AA8 standard before 1980, meaning they have a lot of the upgrades from the Pz68, like the FCS. The FCS is described here[de]. Likewise, the Kurassier A1 FCS is described here[de]. Apparently the Kurassier was the first tank to come standard with a laser rangefinder?

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 4 Jun 2017 13:39

Stupid unit idea time: Hunter T.74 EW or F-5F Tiger II

https://www.forecastinternational.com/a ... ARC_ID=690
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk11 ... -3211a.jpg

Basically, the Swiss had giant sod-off jammers that they acquired in 1993. They were fitted to Hunters, Tigers and Pilatus PC-9s. The photo I've attached shows an F-5F with one of these jammers and a pair of Sidewinders, the Hunters may also have had a load like that and they're a model we already have. Therefore, how about giving the Swiss a cheap aircraft with a pair of missiles and very high ECM to make up for not having SEAD? Alternatively, make it like the Electric Voodoo and the Raven and give it imaginary SEAD missiles but I'm much less fond of that solution. The pod alone could be argued to grant roughly 40% ECM on the basis that it's an RWR (10%), a late model Western jammer (20%) and implies that the aircraft is a dedicated EW platform (10%).

Edit: Also that SK-105A3 is going to be disgustingly good for a recon tank. No objections, like, but I think that's what Austria is going to be known for.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Sun 4 Jun 2017 18:22

FrangibleCover wrote:Stupid unit idea time: Hunter T.74 EW [...] The pod alone could be argued to grant roughly 40% ECM on the basis that it's an RWR (10%), a late model Western jammer (20%) and implies that the aircraft is a dedicated EW platform (10%).

"Technically, dropping a bunch of napalm on the enemy air defences is suppressing them..."

FrangibleCover wrote:Edit: Also that SK-105A3 is going to be disgustingly good for a recon tank. No objections, like, but I think that's what Austria is going to be known for.

Well, it's nice they can be known for something, at least?

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Sat 9 Jun 2018 17:45

Munitions for the Swiss Blindicides
I came across some info about Raketenrohr 58 and 58/80 almost by complete accident, in this budget and Zur Kriegstauglichkeit des Raketenrohrs der Schweizer Armee in Gegenwart und Zukunft (Flückiger, Lorenz, 1984) which gave me the following penetration figures for their ammunition:

HPz Rak 57: 300-350 mm RHAe
HPz Rak 59: 300-350 mm RHAe
HPz Rak 59neu (1982?): 350-400 mm RHAe
HPz Rak 89: 500 mm RHAe

Switzerland is scary.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”