All things HOI IV

Vulcan 607
Major-General

All things HOI IV

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sat 18 Jun 2016 17:53

So I think we need a HOI thread for people to discuss it so here one is

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: All things HOI IV

Postby orcbuster » Sat 18 Jun 2016 17:59

I miss setting up Army formation structures:(
Viker for ingen!

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Sat 18 Jun 2016 18:43

I feel the pacing is off in the build-up and it becomes egregiously apparent in multiplayer. The axis starts a big build-up right at the start but the allies are only a little bit hampered resulting in a big clash that is mostly over by the end of 1940. The world tension meter is there to help give the axis a head start only it doesn't really work, or rather, it becomes irrelevant as soon as Germany invades Poland. Even the US can join in 1939 if played by a player, and a player would really want that because it unlocks the massive industry. There is no mechanic to let the phoney war happen and give Germany the breathing room to get at Scandinavia.

The only way I can think of is giving Democracies a "War Enthusiasm" value that affects how quickly you can militarize. It could give large penalties to bulding arms factories and research speed. This value would start out very low but gets raised by agression in such a way that you don't really want to go on the offencive as a democracy until the axis has already gotten up to speed but instead do as FDR and be creative about the meaning of the word "neutral".

Now, I enjoy the sort of alt-history craziness that frequently plays out in the game. I just feel it lacks the incentives for the historical scenario to even be possible when played by humans and I think that's a shame.

D-M

Postby D-M » Sat 18 Jun 2016 19:31

Wow, someone screwed up very bad when posting.

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Sat 18 Jun 2016 19:52

Gronank wrote:I feel the pacing is off in the build-up and it becomes egregiously apparent in multiplayer. The axis starts a big build-up right at the start but the allies are only a little bit hampered resulting in a big clash that is mostly over by the end of 1940. The world tension meter is there to help give the axis a head start only it doesn't really work, or rather, it becomes irrelevant as soon as Germany invades Poland. Even the US can join in 1939 if played by a player, and a player would really want that because it unlocks the massive industry. There is no mechanic to let the phoney war happen and give Germany the breathing room to get at Scandinavia.

The only way I can think of is giving Democracies a "War Enthusiasm" value that affects how quickly you can militarize. It could give large penalties to bulding arms factories and research speed. This value would start out very low but gets raised by agression in such a way that you don't really want to go on the offencive as a democracy until the axis has already gotten up to speed but instead do as FDR and be creative about the meaning of the word "neutral".

Now, I enjoy the sort of alt-history craziness that frequently plays out in the game. I just feel it lacks the incentives for the historical scenario to even be possible when played by humans and I think that's a shame.

The historical scenario is too meta-analyzed to be plausible from a gameplay perspective. Sitting on your hands for 8 months hoping it will all go away is hard to incentivize unless you are roleplaying heavily.
Viker for ingen!

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Sat 18 Jun 2016 19:58

orcbuster wrote:The historical scenario is too meta-analyzed to be plausible from a gameplay perspective. Sitting on your hands for 8 months hoping it will all go away is hard to incentivize unless you are roleplaying heavily.

The game already tries to model Democracies reluctance to go to war, it is just that it goes too fast leaving the Axis too little room to act. One way or another, a democracy player will always be in a position to want to push for more war involvement. What I want is a a decision for democracy players to be preemptive but suffer in economic strength or let the Axis have their way early on and boom later.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sat 18 Jun 2016 20:02

For me France capitulated before Belgium and the Netherlands. Luckily those 2 countries gave me a load of men who I evacuated pretty fast once France went. Just got to keep momentum in Spain and Africa which is hard because I only currently have 28 military factories,waiting for the rest to build

Object199
Warrant Officer

Postby Object199 » Sat 18 Jun 2016 20:03

Seeing that people pay 40 bucks for a casualized arcade version of HoI III, when you bought HoI III with For the Motherland, Semper Fi and Their Finest Hour for only 7,46€. Ok, I bought it back in 2014, but still, just wait for a sale and you get a cheaper and better HoI. :lol:

If you want to play MP sessions I´ve to admit that HoI IV is probably better due to being less "rail-roaded".

Edit: Is it true that you cant sell specific resources, but only a percentage of all your resources?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat 18 Jun 2016 21:40

Object199 wrote:Seeing that people pay 40 bucks for a casualized arcade version of HoI III, when you bought HoI III with For the Motherland, Semper Fi and Their Finest Hour for only 7,46€. Ok, I bought it back in 2014, but still, just wait for a sale and you get a cheaper and better HoI. :lol:

I can't play HOI III for more than 25 minutes without it crashing. :lol:
Courtesy of KattiValk

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Sat 18 Jun 2016 23:46

The alt-historical possibilities and the new production system are nice, RPM2 and through that the Blue Max are definitively going to use them for modding. The National Focus-system offers good stuff for modders as well.

But why on Earth did they remove the notifications!
"Lol, Italy invaded southern France why you were busy at Benelux"-type moments should not happen in a game like this unless the devs want the players to maintain good APM stats and situation awareness while at the same time pondering which type of divisional-level OOB would be the best response to the current geopolitical situation.

Also: I'm currently waiting for a mod that replaces the toy soldiers doing push-ups with counters.
Despite its flaws HoI IV is a fun game to play, something HoI III managed to achieve only years and several DLCs later.

Return to “Off-Topic”