World news thread

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 9 Jun 2017 00:30

LoneRifle wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:Ah, it certainly has been a hot minute since LoneRifle raged against the horrors of liberalism...

If you call throwing water filled condoms at effigies "liberalism" then I can't help you. That's just a buncha edgelord antifa style shit right there.


Wait, you are comparing throwing water at effigies to blatant physical assault assault, often with weapons, now...?

Dude... wut

LoneRifle wrote:Why would I want stooges like leftist Kiwi's or Greenpeace sympathizers worshiping the ground I walk on Spetz? New Zealand is entitled to it's own opinions of course, but that kind of welcome is hardly how you go about convincing people of your cause.

As for treating you historically. Get a grip. Your relationship with the USA has always been a net positive. I doubt you'll ever see Americans turning out in force to flip the bird to your PM or FM.


Where did this condom shit even come from anyways? It's just giving the middle finger to some widely hated political figure... OH THE HUMANITY!! Those bloody savages! Geezus, who fucking cares? Other than hyper-sensitive Republicans like you of course.

edit: Ah, never mind about the condom bit. Quickly googled "water filled condom thrown" and POW first thing to pop up...

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zea ... -visits-nz

Which leads Lone to compare Kiwis to violent criminals. :roll: I mean, really, after seeing that video I'm at a total lose to fathom how Lone can compare those people to Antifa. Seriously, someone enlighten me to what kind of warped mindset is needed to make this comparison please.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

User avatar
LoneRifle
Major-General
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed 3 Jul 2013 17:11
Location: Cackalacky
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby LoneRifle » Fri 9 Jun 2017 01:23

I can compare them very easily Fade. Do some more digging. These are the same people who no doubt show up to every anti-American/Israel venue and raise hell. And every time something to do with America happens, they use it as an excuse to fuck around.

Mitchverr wrote:Corbyn isnt as bad as May, least Corbyn isnt going to cripple our tech industry or remove our effing human rights laws..... :lol:

I dont like the man, BUT May has said she will do both those things...

That's laughable. All the talk you give about Trump, and when someone even worse shows up you vote for him.

Complains about May's "Supposed Human rights law hatred".....
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/07/europe/th ... index.html
So.... basically because she wants to keep the terrorists in prison or wants to preemptively arrest them, shes violating Human Rights? Give me a fucking break. Your governments been involved in a war against terrorists for almost two decades and your complaining about THAT? Did it not occur to you that perhaps you've been too lenient lately? How many more dead does it take for you to wake up and realize you have to take a hard line?

And about those "Human Rights" you hold so dear. The man you voted for is complete trash far past ANYTHING Trump has ever done. Go ahead and ignore Corbyns blatant support for terrorist filth his entire 30 year career and dislike of defending British "Human Rights" abroad (Falklands anyone? They are British people too right?). Corbyn is friends with any dictator that can claim they are a freedom fighter fighting Imperialist aggressors. You don't even need to throw in his antisemitism to get more then enough evidence of his appreciation of "Human Rights".

The votes are still coming in, but it looks grim. Unless May can somehow salvage enough votes to form a majority, of bar that a Lib Dem/Conservative Coalition, you will be looking at the furthest left administration in the history of the UK. A history that will end the second he bends over backwards for the SNP to let them keep voting til they get the result they wanted on their secession referendum. He's the kind of man that if someone attacked you would talk instead of fight. Bet you if the UK was attacked by state sponsored terrorism he'd blame the UK and the victims instead of ya know, the actual terrorists. I'd say kick him in the balls, but he clearly cut them off long ago. How you expect a community organizer with the most basic of college educations (At least Obama went to fucking Harvard and worked as a lawyer!) to be able to effectively work out the incredibly complex issues at stake in Brexit are beyond me as well.
Image

User avatar
Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 10646
Joined: Sat 24 Mar 2012 18:08
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 9 Jun 2017 01:29

When you remove those human rights from 1 group, what stops it from being applied to another, then another, then another?

No, I will NOT let the tories have that, I dont care about "but the terrorists.........." argument, I will not see my rights and liberties damaged because of terrorists they already can deal with as is in other ways. She is using the terrorist problem as a way to implement this stuff, not because of it.

The Lib Dems are against it too btw, my party.

Way to assume he is my guy, he isnt, I will always be a liberal democrat, and believe in the rights of the citizen.


Oh and before "slippery slope wont happen", that fucking bitch still has not apologized for the disgusting way she let thousands of british citizens spend months in fear and depression before they died because of her "humane review and implementation" of new rules for supporting the ill which is still in use, some of whom were my kin, so no, fuck you buddy, she is a horrible EVIL woman and I would never trust her with my rights.
Image

User avatar
LoneRifle
Major-General
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed 3 Jul 2013 17:11
Location: Cackalacky
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby LoneRifle » Fri 9 Jun 2017 01:57

That's just hysteria Mitch. How are the big bad Tories gonna abuse the ability to "arrest terrorists?". You think they are going to go around arresting their political opponents? Sureee. She isn't Erdogan. You really want Terrorist attacks to stop? Like REALLY want them to? Well, your going to have to let the security services go beyond what they can do now, because right now they clearly are failing.

And looking for an apology from a politician? Sure, when the pigs fly apologies will be a close second. I'm still waiting on an apology from Clinton calling me a deplorable. While we are at it, some people here could apologize for calling me a "Slaver". You may support the Lib Dems, but your going to have to pick between the two who you want as PM unless Farron can somehow convince one of the two parties to make him PM.
Image

User avatar
Xeno426
Carbon 13
Posts: 11965
Joined: Tue 13 Mar 2012 21:27
Location: Acheron, Hadley's Hope
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 9 Jun 2017 02:54

LoneRifle wrote:These are the same people who no doubt show up to every anti-American/Israel venue and raise hell.

[citation needed]

LoneRifle wrote:You really want Terrorist attacks to stop? Like REALLY want them to? Well, your going to have to let the security services go beyond what they can do now, because right now they clearly are failing.

Well, part of that is because loads of police were cut.
Image
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

User avatar
Frencho
Lieutenant
Posts: 1245
Joined: Thu 13 Aug 2015 19:40
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby Frencho » Fri 9 Jun 2017 03:01

LoneRifle wrote:That's just hysteria Mitch. How are the big bad Tories gonna abuse the ability to "arrest terrorists?". You think they are going to go around arresting their political opponents? Sureee. She isn't Erdogan. You really want Terrorist attacks to stop? Like REALLY want them to? Well, your going to have to let the security services go beyond what they can do now, because right now they clearly are failing.


All rosy in Israël with Shin Beth going above and beyond?
You're naïve if you believe terrorist attacks can be stopped for good.
U.K is handling this better than France, Belgium and Germany TBH, partly because terrorist douchebags can't get their hands on firearms and have to use ramming cars and kitchen hardware.
The Manchester artificer was more proficient than Belgium or Paris one, cuz go figure, there are more readily available home-made bomb making manuals/internet guides in the English language...

User avatar
Shrike
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4515
Joined: Sun 22 Sep 2013 04:30
Location: Central California, US
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby Shrike » Fri 9 Jun 2017 03:31

Personal freedom is a big thing in a democracy/republican in this day an age, especially ones founded on classical liberal principles. Where were the republicans on civil rights when Bush signed the patriot act, where was Obama he went against his promise to abolish it?

Look at the UK, they have cameras all over the place, some of them can talk too. How is that freedom? Look all the laws in the UK that are meant to curb crime, yet you still hear about stabbings and assaults with knives. All these laws are just play off fear mongering so they have a reason to exist and their only intent is make the state stronger.

I might not be old, but I was 8 when 9/11 happened. No one talked about terrorism back then prior to that date except for maybe the occasional attack like on the USS Cole. Obviously wasn't best of times, but it was probably better than what we had now state of affairs wise. You were probably more likely hear something about terrorism on a rerun of True Lies than on TV. Ever since 9/11 the media has always been talking about the constant threat of terrorism, terrorist attacks. It's reported so much I lost talk of all the attacks that happen. Today there might be a attack on London, tomorrow a hand grenade attack in Stockholm, followed by nothing, and then two attacks in Paris the day after.

In addition to all the reports of terrorism attacks we've seen more increase on security. In Europe we are seeing more military patrols, and tighter security being placed on the border, especially in the Balkans. While the state should provide for the safety and welfare of its citizens, there have been increase in counter terrorism grants. New riot gear, new body armor, new mine resistant vehicles for police and military police(gendarmes). Better quality surveillance systems with improved audio recording. So basically people have a reason to make money off this and have the means to keep it going.

Besides profiteering off fear mongering in the US and EU, no one really seems to have a plan for handling terrorism outside of their countries. Basically its just sit and do nothing until another attack happens, have a candle light vigil, then flash some lights onto a national monument. Usually most terrorists have a political goal in mind when committing their act of violence. Basically commit acts of violence and until the thing you want politically is finally achieved. Take ALF for example who wants an end to animal testing, and to oppose it they usually burn down labs conducting animal testing. Arsons will continue until you give into their demands. Groups like ISIS only seek to take as much land as possible and spread their version of Islam. Outside of that, the only solution to terrorism is go drop bombs in the desert for every attack. Perhaps nation building maybe?

Don't go in and wreck a country in some war, install a corrupt inefficient government and leave? I remember this documentary on National Geographic/Nat-Geo where the marines and Canadian forces assault a major Taliban village. Then they built a park by basically building a few metal benches around a tree, gave suit cases of money to the families civilians that died, and left. We need to take a page out of the marshall plan and give these countries a means of rebuilding their cities and restoring/building up their economies. The average militant is your average peasant who is only fighting because the extremists said they'd provide food/money/land/shelter. The more stable your government, and the more economic opportunities you have, the reason groups like isis have to exist. Yet no one wants to do that because its seen as a waste of time, money, and is also seen as modern imperialism.

Yet hear we are, still creating new and more fresh a authoritarian ideas and dropping more bombs, so that modern terrorist groups can rise up so that we can pass more authoritarian measures so that we can bomb them again so that more groups can rise up so that we can bomb them again so that some company who makes weapons makes money and so guy who supports them gets to have more power to make more money in office himself/herself. Meanwhile more knife control, now we are seeing "internet licenses", more gun control measures, and even proposals to put restrictions on black powder muzzling loading firearms.

Frencho wrote:U.K is handling this better than France, Belgium and Germany TBH, partly because terrorist douchebags can't get their hands on firearms and have to use ramming cars and kitchen hardware.
The Manchester artificer was more proficient than Belgium or Paris one, cuz go figure, there are more readily available home-made bomb making manuals/internet guides in the English language...

I disagree about the weapons and explosives part. During the cold war, the red brigades in Italy would get their weapons from their neighbor in Yugoslavia. Just take a boat over to Yugoslavia and come back to Italy with a crate of weapons. Imagine the same holds true today. Go to Bulgaria and pay a visit to some mobster or corrupt army officer and acquire a crate of weapons and arms which were written off as a lost logistics or something.

Why bother going to your average store to buy something like a muzzle loader/hunting rifle when there are already better things that can be smuggled out of a neighboring country. As for bombs, you can pretty much build one out of anything. If you really lacked materials, you could just pour massive puddle of bleach and chlorine. Plus not every lonewolf or terrorist is an expert one making bombs, groups like the Weather Underground were novices at best. To give you idea of how bad at making bombs they were, their bombs killed their members more than their intended targets.

User avatar
Frencho
Lieutenant
Posts: 1245
Joined: Thu 13 Aug 2015 19:40
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby Frencho » Fri 9 Jun 2017 04:24

Shrike wrote:
Frencho wrote:U.K is handling this better than France, Belgium and Germany TBH, partly because terrorist douchebags can't get their hands on firearms and have to use ramming cars and kitchen hardware.
The Manchester artificer was more proficient than Belgium or Paris one, cuz go figure, there are more readily available home-made bomb making manuals/internet guides in the English language...

I disagree about the weapons and explosives part. During the cold war, the red brigades in Italy would get their weapons from their neighbor in Yugoslavia. Just take a boat over to Yugoslavia and come back to Italy with a crate of weapons. Imagine the same holds true today. Go to Bulgaria and pay a visit to some mobster or corrupt army officer and acquire a crate of weapons and arms which were written off as a lost logistics or something.

Why bother going to your average store to buy something like a muzzle loader/hunting rifle when there are already better things that can be smuggled out of a neighboring country. As for bombs, you can pretty much build one out of anything. If you really lacked materials, you could just pour massive puddle of bleach and chlorine. Plus not every lonewolf or terrorist is an expert one making bombs, groups like the Weather Underground were novices at best. To give you idea of how bad at making bombs they were, their bombs killed their members more than their intended targets.


I know you're super touchy and defensive about guns, but one the one hand you're going on a tangent and conveniently going out of context (Discuss the British Isles, not European mainland) and on the other hand proving my point about the ease of crafting bombs.

a) The British Isles, bordered by Northern France and the Netherlands, not the Balkans or Maghreb: It's hard to get your hands on firearms, especially proper ammo. Smuggling guns into the U.K is not as easy as in France, Italy, Germany etc... Continental Europe has a land access to the Balkans, Schengen zone, no borders, no customs. On top of that the British have draconian firearms regulations.

Tell me of a Jihadi terror attack or Lone wolf radical attack done with guns in the U.K?
It's mostly home-made bombs or knifing sprees as they can't get their hands on firearms without being spotted by British Intelligence.
Hence the lower civilian casualty numbers.

IRA managed to smuggle guns because they were a highly organized group operating from a conflict zone (Northern Ireland), which not fully controlled by the British government and in close proximity to Great Britain. Ireland gave them strategic depth and they could carry out punctual attacks in Great Britain or British bases in Europe. Also Insurgent groups trying to topple a western governments like the IRA, ETA and Red Brigades did not buy guns from mobsters, they were given guns by USSR/Pact countries/Libya. Also there were no mobsters in the Balkans until the 90s, just State Security, so if a lone wolf showed up to buy guns he'd probably get beaten to death back then...

b) Yeah finding commonly sold materials to make bombs is easy enough if you're motivated, even easier to get it right if you have abundant literature on the subject in your mother tongue.

Sure, U.K can reinforce their effort and go the way of Israel as LoneRifle preaches, but they will only get marginal reduction in terrorism victims.
Ocasional terror attacks are something we will have to live with and if you can reduce them to artisanal nail bombs and knifing sprees instead of AKM shooting sprees you're doing great.

User avatar
Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General
Posts: 6604
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:40
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 9 Jun 2017 05:39

LoneRifle wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:Ah, it certainly has been a hot minute since LoneRifle raged against the horrors of liberalism...

If you call throwing water filled condoms at effigies "liberalism" then I can't help you. That's just a buncha edgelord antifa style shit right there.


If he's lucky, we might even upgrade to dildoes!

LoneRifle wrote:I can compare them very easily Fade. Do some more digging. These are the same people who no doubt show up to every anti-American/Israel venue and raise hell. And every time something to do with America happens, they use it as an excuse to fuck around.


Oh yeahhhh! Making Israel follow the UN and the basic human rights constitution makes us feel sooo empowered and terroristy!

LoneRifle wrote:You really want Terrorist attacks to stop? Like REALLY want them to? Well, your going to have to let the security services go beyond what they can do now, because right now they clearly are failing.


You really want Terrorist attacks to stop? Like REALLY want them to? Well, your going to have to start listening to the multiple tippers that warned police multiple times that the attack was about to happen.

But no, monitoring porn and internet use will certainly put a stop to terrorism! Defiantly!

(I also love how human rights don't matter when you disagree with things, but oh god, if it fit's your agenda, it's the most important thing on earth!)
Image

User avatar
LoneRifle
Major-General
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed 3 Jul 2013 17:11
Location: Cackalacky
Contact:

Re: World news thread

Postby LoneRifle » Fri 9 Jun 2017 07:43

Xeno426 wrote:
LoneRifle wrote:These are the same people who no doubt show up to every anti-American/Israel venue and raise hell.

[citation needed]


Spetz does a good job illustrating.
If he's lucky, we might even upgrade to dildoes!

Oh yeahhhh! Making Israel follow the UN and the basic human rights constitution makes us feel sooo empowered and terroristy!

The anti-American and anti-Israel bias runs deep in NZ apparently.

Well, part of that is because loads of police were cut.


Sure. And that was a grave mistake. But the Corbyn solution involves promoting the biggest terrorist apologist to "fix" the problem? I'll pass. Whatever the Conservatives come up with (which looks less likely since they might not be in charge in a few more days) is infinitely preferable to letting that scum lead the nation. It'd be like a sitting US Senator refusing to say the Dallas shooter was a murderer and then turning around and saying the police shared blame. Except worse because this guy is going to be charge of one of Europe's principle powers.

Frencho wrote:You're naïve if you believe terrorist attacks can be stopped for good.
U.K is handling this better than France, Belgium and Germany TBH, partly because terrorist douchebags can't get their hands on firearms and have to use ramming cars and kitchen hardware.

The lack of firearms hasn't deterred terrorists nor kept the body count down. And while you can't catch 100% of terrorists, clearly there is much room for improvement in Europe right now.
Image

Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests