World news thread

D-M

Re: World news thread

Postby D-M » Mon 1 Jan 2018 19:58

Yeah, you just have to look at the Elor Azaria business to see there is a huge divide between the gov and the military.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 2 Jan 2018 11:02

Markenzwieback wrote:Thing is though, the guy has no official ties to Israel. Neither does this add. He has is personal little pressure group in the US carrying out pro-Israel political work.

Except it's not this asshole who's doing it, it's on newspapers, it's on reddit, even their own Prime minister goes around and tries to shit talk us.

Not to mention that [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Israel–New_Zealand_passport_scandal]little incident on us[/url].

I always find it hilarious when people call Israel a warmonger. You know, the country which general staff and head of intelligence stood up to Bibi and his friends when they objected and told them that an attack on the Iranian nuclear program was a strategic mistake.

OK, cool so some forms of government reconsidered that perhaps creating the biggest proxy war since Syria was a bad thing, congrats.

That doesn't excuse the plethora of violations Israel gets away with.

- They still either ignore or Veto UN resolutions, with them and the US straight up threatening other countries into supporting them.

- Huge amounts of war crime violations, sabot rounds into crowded civilian areas, White phosphorous bombings on school years, Ships shelling on civilians on beaches. Massive amount of civilian "Collateral"

- refusal to allow international aid, solar panels are destroyed, essentials like medicine and baby-care are refused, hell they even shot up a ship for bringing in expired morphine!

Not to mention the constant victim complex, the constant screaming of "Anti-Semite" rampant Islamophobia and blatant lies that come out of their mouths whenever someone has the audacity to criticize them.

But its much easier to just equate the entire state of Israel with a heavily right-leaning government one doesn't have to agree with. ;)

Yeah, sure not everyone, but actions speak louder than words.

Not everyone in the US is a right winged evangelist, but they've still got a senile, orange old man who's in charge. Destroying Woman's and LGBTQ rights, still denying climate change, still saber rattling whenever possible.

Bibi is still your presentment, Israel still violates the Geneva and Hague convention, Israeli still denies complying by UN resolutions, Israel still continues to bully and berate countries that criticize them.

You can pull out that "Not all/everyone" card all you like, but until that "Not everyone" actually proves themselves, I will judge a country by the actions that they commit.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 2 Jan 2018 12:04

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:OK, cool so some forms of government reconsidered that perhaps creating the biggest proxy war since Syria was a bad thing, congrats.

Not RE-considered. They outright told their superior to step away from certain plans. Not many career officials have the guts to do that and imo it shows democratic institutions working. But you can book that under the ordinary, I guess.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:That doesn't excuse the plethora of violations Israel gets away with.
- They still either ignore or Veto UN resolutions, with them and the US straight up threatening other countries into supporting them.
- Huge amounts of war crime violations, sabot rounds into crowded civilian areas, White phosphorous bombings on school years, Ships shelling on civilians on beaches. Massive amount of civilian "Collateral"
- refusal to allow international aid, solar panels are destroyed, essentials like medicine and baby-care are refused, hell they even shot up a ship for bringing in expired morphine!

Wow, I do really want some sources for that. Obviously not for the UN resolutions, because the United Nations have and always will be an international paper tiger with no way to properly sanction anything. And considering the Arab (and anti-Israeli) majority in many councils, I honestly don't blame Israeli officials for not giving a fuck (see the recent UNESCO push on mount temple as a prime example).

But especially for those war crimes I really want some source, because during Cast Lead Israel could reliably proof that their bombing of schools and other protected areas was an answer to rocket fire and weapon storage in such areas (which in the process loose their protection). And civilian collateral damage does happen when you face an enemy hiding behind a civilian population and making use of protected areas and even children as human shields when attacking their enemy.

I don't know where you get the information of purposeful blocking of medical aid. Israel has often enough stated that during peaceful and semi-peaceful times, they keep open a humanitarian corridor for official organizations such as the Red Cross to ship aid. Beyond that, their basic naval blockade and argumentation for it has even considered legal by the UN.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Not to mention the constant victim complex, the constant screaming of "Anti-Semite" rampant Islamophobia and blatant lies that come out of their mouths whenever someone has the audacity to criticize them.

The only point where I agree is with the inability to differentiate between criticism and outright hatred against them. Some parts of society really do play the victim card a little too quickly.

And last but not least, someone letting himself/herself be pressured into canceling concerts by BDS deserves to get flak for days. You can combine a performance in Israeli with properly voiced positions on the issues. Heck, I consider myself generally pro-Israel, but have been criticising the expanding of settlements about as long as I can think. But supporting an organization who proposes not buying from Jews Israelis and calls the country an apartheit state, which objectively isn't true, is wrong imo.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 2 Jan 2018 14:16

And considering the Arab (and anti-Israeli) majority in many councils, I honestly don't blame Israeli officials for not giving a fuck (see the recent UNESCO push on mount temple as a prime example).

Hoo man, an I so fucking tired of seeing this fucking excuse.

It's not the majority of the Arab League that's pushing for these resolutions, it THE MAJORITY OF THE WORLD!

Let's look at a few examples?

UN Resultion United Nations Security Council Resolution 2334, the one Bibi said was a deceleration of war...

Passed unanimously with no opposition. From a country council of which four were Muslim majority and one one was of Arab league

As of the time US and Israel dropped out of it USENSCO, has had 193 member countries supporting it!, of which Palestine is not one of them...

The current resolution to condemn the whole of Jerusalem as Israeli was agreed 128 to 9! Besides US, Israel, two Central American countries and Small islands in the south Pacific reliant on US sponsorship.

Our prime minister also confirmed that Trump threatened against countries voting for the resolution

This is not a Muslim/Arab majority FFS, this is the rest of the world rightfully condemning Israel for repeated breaking of human rights.

Here's a good article of how Israel has sabotaged attempts by the Dutch government to help develop infrastructure to Palestine.

As for the whole war crime stuff:
[url]
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pale ... PF20140716
Liveleak has a video of it, I'm not linking that for several obvious reasons.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/08/10/gaza-widespread-impact-power-plant-attack
Israel deliberately targeting civilian infrastructure.

I also don't believe the bullshit about only targeting HAMAS/Terrorist camps, the 2014 conflict was the best example for this. Both the UN and most NPO's stated that the overwhelming majority of those killed were civilians (Israel plays this off by saying that they could of been combatants simply because they were males aged 17-32).

TBH, I'm not providing links of going any further TBH, I'm already above 30 tabs and having to re-read though this is making my blood boil. Most of this shit can be googled anyway.

And last but not least, someone letting himself/herself be pressured into canceling concerts by BDS deserves to get flak for days. You can combine a performance in Israeli with properly voiced positions on the issues.

Why so?

Almost all the criticism so far has been baseless attacks on her, accusations of her being in cohorts/being threatened by Arabs or the good old straw man cries of "antisemitism", actions speak louder than words, and a boycott (With full refunds) says far more than some hollow words at the end of a concert, it also isn't hurting anyone.

NZ has always had a history of standing up to bullies (look up the 1981 tour, ANZUS and the nuclear-free act) and I'm glad shes keeping up that tradition.

Azaz3l
Brigadier

Postby Azaz3l » Tue 2 Jan 2018 14:17

Happy New Year everyone!

Just a reminder how salty this forum was 3 years ago and how some of the doom prophecies from back then never realised :D .

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby ikalugin » Tue 2 Jan 2018 14:19

The good old times.
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

BTR
General

Postby BTR » Tue 2 Jan 2018 14:23

The good 'ol memes.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 2 Jan 2018 16:04

By the FSM I forgot how edgy he is.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Tue 2 Jan 2018 17:33

Whats up today in german politics?

*AfD deputy factionleader in the Bundestag and granddaughter of a nazi war criminal retweets Hamas*

ok enough for today...

Spoiler : :

D-M

Postby D-M » Tue 2 Jan 2018 17:54

I see dead people.

Return to “Off-Topic”