World news thread

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Re: World news thread

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 14 Nov 2017 09:02

Shrike wrote:Looks like the EU is forming a new Axis or something, whatever the skeptics and russians are calling it these days.
https://qz.com/1127984/eu-army-bloc-for ... ependence/
https://www.politico.eu/article/federic ... s-sign-up/

Might make for some interesting future wargame scenarios

Think Larry Bond has already done that with Cauldron

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Wed 15 Nov 2017 00:41

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 16 Nov 2017 06:17

I'm just going to leave this here...

https://imgur.com/npWDPu5
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Thu 16 Nov 2017 14:59

Study associates Tory austerity politics with 45k deaths during first 4 years.

Ok, Im not saying "Hang the Tories", what im saying is I would understand if someone wrote that on a large piece of fabric, made two effegies of men in suits, tied nooses around thier necks and threw them of a bridge in Manchester...

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 16 Nov 2017 15:15

Love how they pull a headline like this out of a study that doesn't have the methodological foundation to raise such claims. Or as noted at the very end of the article (of course):
Professor Martin Roland Emeritus Professor of Health Services Research, University of Cambridge said: “This study suggests that a change happened to cause deaths to stop declining around 2014. This is likely to be a correct finding. However, the link to health and social care spending is speculative as observational studies of this type can never prove cause and effect."

Also, the accusation of 'economic murder' is the interpretation of a single author, and not the finding of the study. But hey, nice politically loaded headline to publish. :roll:

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Thu 16 Nov 2017 15:33

Markenzwieback wrote:Love how they pull a headline like this out of a study that doesn't have the methodological foundation to raise such claims.

Almost like the people who wrote this are journalists and not political scientists...

Having your findings distorted like this by the media is just simply how it is...Which is why i worded my comment on that somewhat more carefully

Professor Martin Roland Emeritus Professor of Health Services Research, University of Cambridge said: “This study suggests that a change happened to cause deaths to stop declining around 2014. This is likely to be a correct finding. However, the link to health and social care spending is speculative as observational studies of this type can never prove cause and effect."

Which isnt even a good critisim in my opinion. Its impossible to prove the responsibility lies soley or mainly witin the austerity measures, the amount of variables to definitfly prove that is was to high. The thing is...if suddenly people start dying more again, it might be a sound recommendation to properly fund your healthcare again...

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Thu 16 Nov 2017 15:41

Doinize wrote:The thing is...if suddenly people start dying more again, it might be a sound recommendation to properly fund your healthcare again...

Correlation and causality.

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Thu 16 Nov 2017 17:32

Markenzwieback wrote:
Doinize wrote:The thing is...if suddenly people start dying more again, it might be a sound recommendation to properly fund your healthcare again...

Correlation and causality.

Honestly doesnt even fucking matter in that case...
The deaths could come from a major increase in traffic accidents for example and it would still be a good idea...

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Thu 16 Nov 2017 18:59

>Germany might have to re-elect

Lmao kill me

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 17 Nov 2017 17:45

This is just... revolting...

North Korean defector found to have 'enormous parasites'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42021373

if they don't even put basic care into their border guards, I hate to see how widespread things like this are throughout the rest of their military.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Return to “Off-Topic”