World news thread

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: World news thread

Postby Mike » Sat 18 Nov 2017 01:46

Fade2Gray wrote:This is just... revolting...

North Korean defector found to have 'enormous parasites'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42021373

if they don't even put basic care into their border guards, I hate to see how widespread things like this are throughout the rest of their military.

He had an ELEVEN INCH WORM.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Mon 20 Nov 2017 01:43

Re-election time boiiiz

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Mon 20 Nov 2017 08:50

Search continues for the ARA San Juan.
Apparently several satellite calls from the sub have been made but they didn’t connect.

The Royal Navy has deployed the Submarine Parachute Assistance Group

D-M

Postby D-M » Sun 26 Nov 2017 04:41

RT is shitposting about the San Juan supposedly being hit by a RN mine layed during the Falkand war :
https://mundo.sputniknews.com/americala ... etonacion/

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Sun 26 Nov 2017 19:52

Is this real? http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 32017R2158
Seems rather silly to try and regulate a compound that naturally occurs in a potato when you brown it. Especially if that compound is also found in olives, coffee, and other food products. In terms of wether or not Acrylamide is carcinogenic, which it probably is; is that it seems like you can take any chemical in its base form and inject into a mouse and said mouse will get cancer.

Other that, almost every product out there these days comes with a warning label that said product may cause cancer or that contains a element that definitely can cause cancer(such as lead). Warning labels for things that are known to cause cancer are fine, but i feel warning labels for gmos and things that might cause cancer will lead to some kind of dismissive attitude that everything causes cancer.

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Sun 26 Nov 2017 22:18

There is litterally nothing less silly than having an upper limit on how much poision should be in food...

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Mon 27 Nov 2017 00:39

Doinize wrote:There is litterally nothing less silly than having an upper limit on how much poision should be in food...

If really matters you might as well not even eat those foods since acrylamide naturally occurs in things like potatoes, starchy foods, olives, anything with wheat such as bread, roasted nuts, cocoa, coffee. Basically anything that is fried, baked, or roasted, it's in almost everything we eat. Besides that, many fruit seeds also contain traces of arsenic and cyanide and if you looked hard enough you would probably be convinced that food is out to kill us considering even plants have level of toxin to them.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Mon 27 Nov 2017 01:38

Doinize wrote:There is litterally nothing less silly than having an upper limit on how much poision should be in food...

There is no such thing as a poison, only poisonous dosages.

There's an upper limit on how much selenium can be in stuff, because you absolutely need selenium to live. Get a few grams, though? You're dead.

Drink too much water? Dead. (no, I'm not talking about drowning)

Too much vitamin B3 or B6? Death.

There is very little that cannot kill if too much is taken in, even in the realm of essential nutrients.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Mon 27 Nov 2017 04:20

Can somebody explain to me why a European standard on toxic dosages is controversial?

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Mon 27 Nov 2017 05:02

Gronank wrote:Can somebody explain to me why a European standard on toxic dosages is controversial?

Basically browning food from frying, baking, or roasting produces a toxic compound acrylamide which may or may not be linked to cancer. However said compound is also found in cigarettes. Seems to me more like a why bother deal if everything we eat contains traces of the substance in question. Kind of like fluoride in drinking water, you probably more likely to die from water poisoning than you are from fluoride poisoning if all you did was drink water constantly. I would imagine a stroke/heart attack from poor diet and bad cholesterol would kill first before the acrylamide does.

Although I read a bit deeper in and seems that they require manufacturers to match their products with swatches to decide if they meet what is deemed to be of acceptable level which doesn't sound too bad guess.

Return to “Off-Topic”