World news thread

Fade2Gray
General

Re: World news thread

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 9 May 2017 02:48

Mitchverr wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:https://twitter.com/Marine2017_EN/status/861330910905499657

What in the fuck does France need to be liberated from?

Oh, wait... "moozlims"... amirite?

the eu aka 4th german reich

You gotta be shitting me.

*skims r/t_d*

Fuck, you are not shitting me.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Tue 9 May 2017 03:16

What do you guys think of the proposed potential peace zones in Syria between Turkey, Russia, Iran, and Syria. If they can make the first 6 months there could be real reduction in conflict, however thinking realistically that may not last as most peace attempts have fallen flat.

The zones in question I think can give rebels and government time to recover or relocate / refit. While it seems odd, having 3 foriegn militaries trying to guarentee safe zones, it seems the main goal of Syrian gov now is advance to Deir Az zor.

The situation with the Russian ship that sank reminds me or Kursk

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 9 May 2017 04:19

chykka wrote:What do you guys think of the proposed potential peace zones in Syria...

Didn't Russia put that idea forward?
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 9 May 2017 05:50

Frencho wrote:Image

Stop stealing our American comedy! Get your own psychopath!
Courtesy of KattiValk

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Tue 9 May 2017 15:14

Three Bundeswehr officers have been arrested on charges of planning terror attacks...
whoops.
Nazi terror cells are nothing new, but one in the Bundeswehr is...a bit of a blunder on the authorities part...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 96fc5ba633
https://www.voanews.com/a/german-milita ... 38051.html (five days old, by now it is almost certain that there is a network)
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-germa ... SKBN1830FJ

http://www.heute.de/terrorverdacht-weit ... 35654.html
German article about the two arrests today.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Tue 9 May 2017 15:25

I dont mean to be nitpicky, but it says "nazi stuff found" but then goes on about not allowing soldiers to have stuff of the WW2 german army due to "veneration", so was it actually nazi stuff or WW2 german stuff? Because this seems a little muddled to me or possibly muddled.

It always bugs me because I have seen reports of "this guy had nazi stuff" which turned out to just be WW2 history books about german tanks or something else like this, not actual full scale room wall to wall with swastika and a hitler picture, akin to how that whole "this school shooter played doom" type deal.

But yeah, hopefully they get to the bottom of this group and root them out, fuck those guys nazi or not, they are scum.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 9 May 2017 15:56

Mitchverr wrote:I dont mean to be nitpicky, but it says "nazi stuff found" but then goes on about not allowing soldiers to have stuff of the WW2 german army due to "veneration", so was it actually nazi stuff or WW2 german stuff? Because this seems a little muddled to me or possibly muddled.

It always bugs me because I have seen reports of "this guy had nazi stuff" which turned out to just be WW2 history books about german tanks or something else like this, not actual full scale room wall to wall with swastika and a hitler picture, akin to how that whole "this school shooter played doom" type deal.

But yeah, hopefully they get to the bottom of this group and root them out, fuck those guys nazi or not, they are scum.

Thought about posting about this topic earlier, but I was too lazy to try and explain the current problem(s). So let me try to be as brief as possible, so I can stop procrastinating and hopefully get some work done afterwards. :D

Within the Bundeswehr, general traditional links to the WW2 Wehrmacht are forbidden. Individual references to certain soldiers (there are barracks named after Rommel or Marseille for example) are permitted and encouraged, if said individuals have rendered themselves to outstanding services for freedom or justice (in our current definition) during their time in the Wehrmacht. Beyond the resistance against the Nazis (Staufenberg and the like), the tradition of the Prussian military reformers is relied upon heavily, as well as the (modern) armies own history and achievements, at least in theory (there is discussion to name barracks after the fallen soldiers who died in Afghanistan).

Regarding the collection of military memorabilia: It is allowed in general (article 25 of the Traditionserlass), but if (semi-)publicly displayed in barracks it needs to contextualized within history. That is the issue you are talking about, I suppose. (Keep in mind that I am no expert on this stuff!)

In general, the discussion about army traditions is merely one topic of the entire story. Add to that the problem of right-wing radicalism among some soldiers (I personally didn't encounter it during my time, but there are cases), cancellation of mandatory military service and the result it has on the type of people actually going there on their own initiative, the all apparent equipment problems and funding issues, missing political and societal backing of the Armed Forces, the completely horrible crisis approach of our Minister of Defense (she got heavy flak from all sides for her statements), etc. I could keep this list going for a while, to give you (and others) some insight, I'll post links for further reading below (obviously in German).

In my opinion, the missed out discussions of the last 10-20 years will surface/are surfacing right now. More within the Armed Forces, but also in public (its elections coming up after all).

Links:
Spoiler : :
And as a personal recommendation you can visit this blog for all things regarding Bundeswehr and German defense and security policy. Many former or active members of the Armed Forces, including higher ranking officials, are participating in the discussions.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Tue 9 May 2017 16:06

Very nice and concise, thank you for the reply :) Will work my way through it but yeah, as I live in a country where we dont get sent to jail for simply having a nazi emblem etc and where the media/people blow things out of proportion a fair bit, it can be a bit odd looking into Germany especially with those very odd comments from the top end about how non nazis can be a "sign of nazis" etc.

But yeah, I never really knew about the whole "no mass veneration" with reguards to the army, but it being fine to name specific people like Rommel or Guderian, given that there has always been that "split" I thought it logically followed to the general army in most cases as being fine too.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 9 May 2017 16:24

Mitchverr wrote:But yeah, I never really knew about the whole "no mass veneration" with reguards to the army, but it being fine to name specific people like Rommel or Guderian, given that there has always been that "split" I thought it logically followed to the general army in most cases as being fine too.

Don't mix up the two Guderians though! Heinz Guderian (as a military leader of the Wehrmacht and individual person, not as tactician) is a big no-no from all I know, while Heinz Günther Guderian (his son) is a respected (former) member of the Bundeswehr who also served in the Wehrmacht. :lol:

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 9 May 2017 17:39

:geek:
Mitchverr wrote:I dont mean to be nitpicky, but it says "nazi stuff found" but then goes on about not allowing soldiers to have stuff of the WW2 german army due to "veneration", so was it actually nazi stuff or WW2 german stuff? Because this seems a little muddled to me or possibly muddled.

Well I feel sorry for any German soldiers with WW2 memorabilia and they have been a bit over zealous before such as when they renamed JG51 Molders named after a ww2 ace and by the sounds of it an all round nice guy.

Return to “Off-Topic”