World news thread

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: World news thread

Postby Killertomato » Wed 6 Dec 2017 03:51

I wonder if the US ever though of using COTS vehicles like that. The CUCVs weren't ever intended to go near gunfire.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

another505

Postby another505 » Wed 6 Dec 2017 05:52

frostypooky wrote:their new motorized units are underfunded and undermanned

I thought it is based on this
Lessons Of Syria: Russia Creates Super Light Motorized Infantry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhcierEEjm4

base on the link you give, it supports the video
Google translate of your link: "The motorized rifle brigade of the Central Military District (CSO), formed in December 2016 near Samara, received the latest batch of UAZ vehicles "Patriot", now there are about 100 units in the brigade. This was reported to journalists by the acting Commander of the 2nd Combined Arms Army of the Central Military District, Major-General Roman Berdnikov.

"The army has a motorized rifle battalion unique for the Russian Armed Forces," Major-General Berdnikov said. - It was formed as part of a new motorized rifle brigade at the end of last year, using the experience of conducting modern combat operations. Recently, the last batch of pick-ups arrived there, capable of carrying not only Kalashnikov machine guns or automatic AGS-17 grenade launchers on their bodies, but also anti-tank and missile systems. ""

I think it make sense than using BTR-82 and stuffs which are a lot more costly when you can just use a freaking truck with zsu-23-2 on it in these kinds of conflict
Of Salt

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Wed 6 Dec 2017 07:29

another505 wrote:
I think it make sense than using BTR-82 and stuffs which are a lot more costly when you can just use a freaking truck with zsu-23-2 on it in these kinds of conflict

This depends entirely on how casualty tolerant your population is.

Things are different for Russia in Syria than they were for, say, the US in Iraq, because the vast majority of men on unarmored jeeps on the friendly side aren't Russians, so if they get killed, nobody in Russia cares. This will go away if that changes. They're almost completely useless in a stand-up fight too, because any amount of artillery will vaporize a formation of these things.
Last edited by Shifu on Sun 10 Dec 2017 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: https://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=48026
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

another505

Postby another505 » Wed 6 Dec 2017 07:55

Killertomato wrote:
another505 wrote:

This depends entirely on how casualty tolerant your population is.

Things are different for Russia in Syria than they were for, say, the US in Iraq, because the vast majority of men on unarmored jeeps on the friendly side aren't Russians, so if they get killed, nobody in Russia cares. This will go away if that changes. They're almost completely useless in a stand-up fight too, because any amount of artillery will vaporize a formation of these things.

I guess the difference is that Russia isn't the main ground combatant unlike US in iraq, and now that the war is dying down. It seems logistically make sense if they just need to curb out remaining resistance really fast and airforce can't do that alone
Last edited by Shifu on Sun 10 Dec 2017 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Of Salt

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Wed 6 Dec 2017 08:08

another505 wrote:I guess the difference is that Russia isn't the main ground combatant unlike US in iraq, and now that the war is dying down. It seems logistically make sense if they just need to curb out remaining resistance really fast and airforce can't do that alone

It definitely is the cheap option for that. Not sure it'd be better in the role than a formation with BTR-82, but it would definitely be cheaper.

Funny thing, this all happened on an even larger scale back in the '80s during the Toyota War. My guess is that some ISIS commander read a book and decided to use Konkurs and 2010 Hiluxes instead of MILANs and 1980 Hiluxes. Didn't work nearly as well vs. Bashar Al-Asad as it did vs. Qaddafi, but Qaddafi didn't have expert help, a working air force, or motivated troops.

EDIT: Russia trolls entire middle east at once. Jerusalem is Israel's capital... but only the west half.
Last edited by Shifu on Sun 10 Dec 2017 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

another505

Postby another505 » Wed 6 Dec 2017 08:17

Killertomato wrote:
another505 wrote:I guess the difference is that Russia isn't the main ground combatant unlike US in iraq, and now that the war is dying down. It seems logistically make sense if they just need to curb out remaining resistance really fast and airforce can't do that alone

It definitely is the cheap option for that. Not sure it'd be better in the role than a formation with BTR-82, but it would definitely be cheaper.

Funny thing, this all happened on an even larger scale back in the '80s during the Toyota War. My guess is that some ISIS commander read a book and decided to use Konkurs and 2010 Hiluxes instead of MILANs and 1980 Hiluxes. Didn't work nearly as well vs. Bashar Al-Asad as it did vs. Qaddafi, but Qaddafi didn't have expert help, a working air force, or motivated troops.

Man, i just can't wait for books about the syrian war... probably going to take 2-3 years from now....
i remember that everyone though Assad is a goner for sure with another intervention
then nope
then Russia comes in and everyone thought it would afganistan 2.0
but nope

we got fancy T90a, TOS-1. Tu160, kalibr, Su-30sm, Su-35, Su-34, Mi-28n, Ka-52 (MY FAV), upgraded hinds, spetsnaz. and even the BMPT
finally in action
and ofc, turkish leo2a4s, pattons blowing up..
Of Salt

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Wed 6 Dec 2017 08:35

another505 wrote:Man, i just can't wait for books about the syrian war... probably going to take 2-3 years from now....
i remember that everyone though Assad is a goner for sure with another intervention
then nope
but nope

we got fancy T90a, TOS-1. Tu160, kalibr, Su-30sm, Su-35, Su-34, Mi-28n, Ka-52 (MY FAV), upgraded hinds, spetsnaz. and even the BMPT
finally in action

Russia provided C&C, air support, and in some places and in small numbers, actual boots on the ground. What really tipped the balance was Iran's contribution. The IRGC deployed thousands and thousands of troops, and they're the ones, with the SAA, that are mostly going nose-to-nose with ISIS and giving them the heave. Iraq is similar, only with the US playing the Russian role and a lesser proportion of Iranians.

another505

Postby another505 » Wed 6 Dec 2017 08:56

Killertomato wrote:
another505 wrote:Man, i just can't wait for books about the syrian war... probably going to take 2-3 years from now....
then nope
but nope

finally in action

Russia provided C&C, air support, and in some places and in small numbers, actual boots on the ground. What really tipped the balance was Iran's contribution. The IRGC deployed thousands and thousands of troops, and they're the ones, with the SAA, that are mostly going nose-to-nose with ISIS and giving them the heave. Iraq is similar, only with the US playing the Russian role and a lesser proportion of Iranians.

I dont disagree on that, that is what i meant Russia isn't the main ground combatant.
But still, seeing these military hardwares is just nice
Of Salt

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 7 Dec 2017 19:20

Killertomato wrote:Things are different for Russia in Syria than they were for, say, the US in Iraq, because the vast majority of men on unarmored jeeps on the friendly side aren't Russians, so if they get killed, nobody in Russia cares. This will go away if that changes. They're almost completely useless in a stand-up fight too, because any amount of artillery will vaporize a formation of these things.

If the Russians are stupid enough to send them against an enemy that has organized and quick reacting artillery, then they deserve to have it vaporized. At the moment however, they do have enemies that they can send it against that isn't exactly heavy on organized artillery support.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Thu 7 Dec 2017 23:24

Fade2Gray wrote:
Killertomato wrote:Things are different for Russia in Syria than they were for, say, the US in Iraq, because the vast majority of men on unarmored jeeps on the friendly side aren't Russians, so if they get killed, nobody in Russia cares. This will go away if that changes. They're almost completely useless in a stand-up fight too, because any amount of artillery will vaporize a formation of these things.

If the Russians are stupid enough to send them against an enemy that has organized and quick reacting artillery, then they deserve to have it vaporized. At the moment however, they do have enemies that they can send it against that isn't exactly heavy on organized artillery support.
Last edited by Shifu on Sun 10 Dec 2017 18:00, edited 1 time in total.