WarGame themed shooter?

varis
Brigadier

WarGame themed shooter?

Postby varis » Fri 2 Dec 2016 02:32

Was just looking at the awesome JNA list with gems like

and the SPAT Foka, a prototype radar guided twin 30mm mounted on a BVP M-80 IFV chassis..

and wondering, now that Eugen has models for what, 2000 different units... isn't that a huge asset?

Why not license those models and let somebody make an ARMA style cold war shooter game?

D-M

Re: WarGame themed shooter?

Postby D-M » Fri 2 Dec 2016 03:20

The models 'd need a huuuge clean up before beeing somewhat ok for a FPS.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Fri 2 Dec 2016 03:22

Models aren't detailed enough for a shooter
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Postby Romiros » Fri 2 Dec 2016 04:02

TankHunter wrote:Models aren't detailed enough for a shooter

Can be enough for mobile game.

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Fri 2 Dec 2016 12:21

barring model detail, I've always wanted something like this, infact.. a Wargame styled FPS is my whole inspiration for trying to get into game development, in hopes that one day I could just do it myself..
Anyways, do you really think it should be ArmA style? I mean.. OG ArmA/OFP is Cold War..
My hope would be for something more arcade-y.. along the lines of how Battlefield 2 is done
Maybe more accessible than something like ArmA as well, so I can share the experience with my "too broke for PC" friends that only own PS4's
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Mon 5 Dec 2016 06:08

you can be both accessible and realistic imo, if the game is presented well. A lot of the problem with Arma and PR is the interfaces can be clunky as fuck
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Mon 5 Dec 2016 07:08

I would love another cold war shooter especially if its with war games amount of kit. This is why I want bohemia interactive to return to its roots I am sick of futuristic war games they don't do anything for me

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Wed 7 Dec 2016 17:16

Vulcan 607 wrote:I would love another cold war shooter especially if its with war games amount of kit. This is why I want bohemia interactive to return to its roots I am sick of futuristic war games they don't do anything for me

Heh, this is why I never bothered much with ArmA3.

It'd be interesting to see a Battlefield style of game, but the number units present in Wargame would be a bit of a problem because each one would have to be improved and cleaned up to the levels expected from a shooter, which would likely put ships to shame in terms of time. Then there's the fact Eugen would be entering a market that already has an awful lot of competition, with its theme (Cold War) probably its only big selling point. The expense, along with the risk of entering into a very competitive market with a team that (to my knowledge) has very little experience making FPS's doesn't seem like the most sound business decision.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Wed 7 Dec 2016 22:27

Xeno426 wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:I would love another cold war shooter especially if its with war games amount of kit. This is why I want bohemia interactive to return to its roots I am sick of futuristic war games they don't do anything for me

Heh, this is why I never bothered much with ArmA3.

It'd be interesting to see a Battlefield style of game, but the number units present in Wargame would be a bit of a problem because each one would have to be improved and cleaned up to the levels expected from a shooter, which would likely put ships to shame in terms of time. Then there's the fact Eugen would be entering a market that already has an awful lot of competition, with its theme (Cold War) probably its only big selling point. The expense, along with the risk of entering into a very competitive market with a team that (to my knowledge) has very little experience making FPS's doesn't seem like the most sound business decision.

If they joined up with bohemia interactive to do a shooter version of the wargame campaigns from EE to RD that would be a dream come true. Sadly a lot of new games are the same as the previous one just with a new skin and name

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Thu 8 Dec 2016 08:43

Care I post what I linked before? Check it out, this is what I had outlined kind of ages ago.. and I have plenty more ideas to implement as a way to promote alot of community involvement..

http://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=48576&hilit=StalkerDellaNote+FPS+Wargame
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

Return to “Off-Topic”