SR-72 is a thing!!!

User avatar
another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12962
Joined: Sun 21 Jul 2013 05:18
Location: Hiatus
Contact:

Re: SR-72 is a thing!!!

Postby another505 » Mon 16 Oct 2017 00:49

Correct me if im wrong

but satellites have the advantage of not being in enemy air space, while spy planes are which gives them the right to shoot it down.

And there is open skies treaty

i just see Sr-72 a costly investment for little niches for a few years
Image
Of Salt

User avatar
StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant
Posts: 1438
Joined: Tue 12 Nov 2013 12:23
Location: Southern California, USA
Contact:

Re: SR-72 is a thing!!!

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Mon 16 Oct 2017 03:02

another505 wrote:Correct me if im wrong

but satellites have the advantage of not being in enemy air space, while spy planes are which gives them the right to shoot it down.

And there is open skies treaty

i just see Sr-72 a costly investment for little niches for a few years

I honestly think the "SR-72" might just be a test bed, testing more advanced ramjet tech, the designation simply being a nod to the OG Lockheed speed god

And I mean, what's wrong with having an SR-71 successor anyways, we still run U-2's on a regular basis out of Beale AFB with great success, more and more advanced Anti-Air systems are becoming more readily available to these 3rd world militia's n shit, it's only a matter of time before ISIL shoots down a U-2 or one these Global Hawks
Image
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

User avatar
another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12962
Joined: Sun 21 Jul 2013 05:18
Location: Hiatus
Contact:

Re: SR-72 is a thing!!!

Postby another505 » Mon 16 Oct 2017 03:57

StalkerDellaNote wrote:
another505 wrote:Correct me if im wrong

but satellites have the advantage of not being in enemy air space, while spy planes are which gives them the right to shoot it down.

And there is open skies treaty

i just see Sr-72 a costly investment for little niches for a few years

I honestly think the "SR-72" might just be a test bed, testing more advanced ramjet tech, the designation simply being a nod to the OG Lockheed speed god

And I mean, what's wrong with having an SR-71 successor anyways, we still run U-2's on a regular basis out of Beale AFB with great success, more and more advanced Anti-Air systems are becoming more readily available to these 3rd world militia's n shit, it's only a matter of time before ISIL shoots down a U-2 or one these Global Hawks


Cause U-2 is already designed and made, and is not a money eater like black bird. 2380 vs 85000 per hour
Well.. ISIL is kinda a goner ... what other 3rd world militia? Yemen?

Nothing is wrong when USA military budget is that high, nothing wrong with another project running over cost and delay forever.
Image
Of Salt

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3845
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: SR-72 is a thing!!!

Postby Vulcan 607 » Mon 16 Oct 2017 06:23

another505 wrote:Correct me if im wrong

but satellites have the advantage of not being in enemy air space, while spy planes are which gives them the right to shoot it down.

And there is open skies treaty

i just see Sr-72 a costly investment for little niches for a few years


But you know when a satellite is going to make a pass its very predictable

User avatar
StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant
Posts: 1438
Joined: Tue 12 Nov 2013 12:23
Location: Southern California, USA
Contact:

Re: SR-72 is a thing!!!

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Mon 16 Oct 2017 14:39

another505 wrote:[Cause U-2 is already designed and made, and is not a money eater like black bird. 2380 vs 85000 per hour
Well.. ISIL is kinda a goner ... what other 3rd world militia? Yemen?

Nothing is wrong when USA military budget is that high, nothing wrong with another project running over cost and delay forever.

Blackbird was expensive because it leaked fuel like my kitchen sink does water, justsayin

And I simply used ISIL as an example, who the hell knows what'll be coming next, fact of the matter is, everyone is getting better AA nowadays as it all trickles down from China & Russia, who's fuckin' ballin' with mad AA capabilities these days

Again though, I think this new blackbird's just a test bed, maybe for future ramjet interceptor? ;) Who knows, I personally ain't seen an X-plane doin' a damn thing in months, by the looks of the artwork this thing just looks like a stealthier X-43
Image
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

User avatar
Xeno426
Carbon 13
Posts: 11917
Joined: Tue 13 Mar 2012 21:27
Location: Acheron, Hadley's Hope
Contact:

Re: SR-72 is a thing!!!

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 22 Oct 2017 04:47

Vulcan 607 wrote:Do you have any idea how much it costs to move a satellite in orbit especially for a one time target, then you have to move it to its previous position and once it's out of fuel its useless. A plane on the other hand can be retasked with ease.

So don't come here being a cock it will get you nowhere

Well, the Blackbird cost around $300 million per hour. It also originally cost $34 million per aircraft back in 1972, which is around $200 million today. That's about the cost of a spy satellite, while launching it will cost between $100 and $300 million.
So yeah, satellites are a hell of a lot cheaper, plus no danger of being shot down.

Most of the cost comes from all the support systems, like tankers. The aircraft itself, with fuel and maintenance, is a lot lower, but aircraft like the Blackbird can't act on their own.

StalkerDellaNote wrote:And I mean, what's wrong with having an SR-71 successor anyways, we still run U-2's on a regular basis out of Beale AFB with great success,

Tactical vs strategic intelligence. And even then, the U-2 is getting replaced by drones, which don't have to worry about pilots being killed.
Image
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests