Commercial success of different Eugen games

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Commercial success of different Eugen games

Postby Mike » Sat 24 Feb 2018 17:56

Fade2Gray wrote:
Mike wrote:My number one problem with SD when it came out is that I couldn't play it.. because it ran like shit.

I've heard a lot of people complain about something similar. They could smoke WGRD on max settings, but with SDN at release? Runs horribly. Combine that with how a lot more people apparently had bad CTD problems and I'm guessing that helped big time to drive people away from the game, and thus the huge plunge in peak players compared to WGRD.

I could run Wargame on medium settings too make sure the game never lagged, but I had to run SD on the bare minimum settings just to make it somewhat playable. I found the game interesting, but it was hard to get into it when you can't really even play it.
Courtesy of KattiValk

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Tue 12 Jun 2018 20:42

12 months peak player count for Steel Division was 813 - slightly pumped up by a recent patch, which points at one obvious and possible error source in my crude statistics (could use a 30 day moving average or something for a better analysis).

SD is far from being an AoA style flop, but still it seems it didn't build such a strong multiplayer community as say, any WarGame.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Tue 19 Jun 2018 23:32

Fade2Gray wrote:
varis wrote:We're there a lot more bugs? Was balance a disaster, more so than WGRD at release? Lots of CTD/BSOD issues? Something drove the players away hard.

No matchmaking at launch. Weeks (months?) after very poor matchmaking implemented. Random menus. And some other reasons drove many guys away.

Me for example.

But gameplay wise, I enjoyed it a lot. It has much less mechanics than RD for sure, but overall the mechanics are better. The division system, the three-phase thing are refreshing. The Conquest mode is at last well done. And last but not least : all the maps are playable (but lack variety).

A shame.