What are you reading?

Bitcohen
Private

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Bitcohen » Fri 31 Aug 2018 16:23

I’ve yet to read it, but have gotten a ton of recommendations for Oyotomegatari 4 and mention it because I’ve seen a fair few FFXIV fans on the forums so far and figure it might go over well for anyone who enjoyed the Azim Steppes. (which is the best thing that game has ever done)

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 1 Oct 2018 18:09

Now reading:

If you have watched Netflix's "Siege of Jadotville", Faulques is (supposedly) the "bad guy", the French leader of the mercenaries and Katagans besieging the Irish troops. Although ... he wasn't there that day, and the siege was led by one of his lieutenants.

Faulques was a hero from the Indochina war, wounded multiple times. In 1948, he had both feet shot by a machine leading a close combat charge, and two years later received four wounds at the battle of the RC4 (Colonial Road 4) and captured. Some wounds were inflicted by bayonets after he was put out of action, to finish him off. Yet he surveied, but in such a bad shape that the VM considered he wouldn't live more than 24h, therefore agreed (against their usual policy to not release officer) to generously give him back to the French Army.
Faulques survived and came back in Indochina 3 years later, then fought in Algeria (where like many paratroop officers he became involved in torture) and Katanga. There, although offciialy a mere mercenary, he was actually "on leave from the army" under the French governement's order.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 7 Oct 2018 08:06

https://books.google.fi/books/about/The ... edir_esc=y

Reading the PDF, quite interesting if you haven't read material like this. Could have a few words to say to some of these Soviet officers but maybe there are some practical tips too... Our current meta in ARMA3 seems to be ghetto off-road & infantry spam with expensive ATGM launchers, in RD terms they play motorized. Feels like home.

Akropolis24
Private First-Class

Postby Akropolis24 » Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:25

The Alchemist

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Tue 30 Oct 2018 14:34

Basketclash
Private

Postby Basketclash » Mon 5 Nov 2018 16:03

I'm currently reading Ready Player One. The movie was cool but so I'm enjoying the book now :lol:

Restneeder
Private

Postby Restneeder » Wed 14 Nov 2018 10:37

I am currently reading Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis. It is considered to be the greatest Greek novel of all time. I will see what the fuss is all about.

Akropolis24
Private First-Class

Postby Akropolis24 » Mon 19 Nov 2018 13:28

Robin Sharma - The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari.

Return to “Off-Topic”