What are you reading?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: What are you reading?

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 28 Oct 2015 02:05

Xeno426 wrote:I rather prefer reading an actual book than a website. Call me old-fashioned.

Same for me ... :)

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Cheesehead » Wed 28 Oct 2015 03:54

If you want to know all about U-boat operations from 1942-45, this is your book. He basically describes every single U boat patrol with a paragraph or two (more if the patrol was especially noteworthy) and has an excellent appendix full of tables and such. He does a good job illustrating his thesis in that the U-boats weren't even close to ever winning the tonnage war and at best were more effective at secondary and tertiary effects such as tying up a lot of allied resources while trying to debunk some other myths as well. It's a somewhat long read, but if your interested in naval history, it's a pretty handy resource to have around and serves as an excellent base if you ever need to do a paper on U-boat operations..

Spoiler : :
Xeno426 wrote:Image

Oh boy... Chem engineering.....That's a fun one. Please say you can do stuff other then just playing around with water....

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Thu 29 Oct 2015 20:32

Cheesehead wrote:Image

If you want to know all about U-boat operations from 1942-45, this is your book. He basically describes every single U boat patrol with a paragraph or two (more if the patrol was especially noteworthy) and has an excellent appendix full of tables and such. He does a good job illustrating his thesis in that the U-boats weren't even close to ever winning the tonnage war and at best were more effective at secondary and tertiary effects such as tying up a lot of allied resources while trying to debunk some other myths as well. It's a somewhat long read, but if your interested in naval history, it's a pretty handy resource to have around and serves as an excellent base if you ever need to do a paper on U-boat operations..

Silent Victory is a good one by him as well. That is on the submarine war in the Pacific.

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Tue 3 Nov 2015 01:56

The English translation of Pierre Pazoux's "The Iran-Iraq War" is coming out tomorrow. Hopefully Amazon will ship it in time...
SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Cheesehead » Thu 5 Nov 2015 03:16

So my new/temporary job has given me a lot of time to read for the moment, so I've been catching up on some books I've had sitting around. (Plus I'm getting paid)
Latest one

Fairly interesting read. His primary focus is on how the German high command for the army gradually got taken over by Hitler. He takes the thesis that Hitler is literally Hitler and basically got lucky with the initial successes which prevented the generals from going against his will later on. The tone of the book seems to suggest that Hitler had an axe to grind with the German high command staff for some reason.

The other interesting idea presented was just how much friction was caused "pure" armored formations and operational/strategic level mobile tactics. It tries to bust the myth of blitzkrieg and suggest that it was simply an extension of previous German strategy of encirclement. It was fascinating to see how Gurdarian and the other armored folks had a lot of problems trying to make best use of the Panzers and maintaining their Independence from foot infantry formations, something that I'll probably try and find a book on in the future.

Overall, it was a solid read, if a bit long while being excellently sourced with a wide variety of sources, especially primary sources from a number of the generals. I think the author tries to do a little too much in the book and it could probably be split into a couple slightly more in depth volumes. The other issue is that it is quite old; I'd be interesting to see what new sources would have changed his work.

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Fri 13 Nov 2015 16:24

Since I discovered Wargame I become more and more interested in post WW2 world; here is one very good book about the post colonials wars who shaped many modern states such as wars Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Kenya, Iran, India, North and South Korea or other crises as Hungary, Greece, Pakistan, Algeria. May be biased towards some facts but it's an awesome read and have some neat descriptions of people like Nasser, Ho Chi Min, Nehru.

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Wed 18 Nov 2015 14:37

At times you can't put it down but at others it seems to drone on and on. The pacing seems a bit off too where the early and late part of the battle aren't as well covered as the middle. But a good read...also as it's 50 years old, the writing and translation adds to its charm.

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Thu 19 Nov 2015 08:29

It's finally here!

A quick skim shows good military detail and promising maps to follow the war's course...I'll look forward to enjoying this soon.
SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Thu 19 Nov 2015 11:53

Yes, please tell us what you think about it as I'm interested in reading it.

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Fri 20 Nov 2015 04:48

Just started this one...

Return to “Off-Topic”