What are you reading?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: What are you reading?

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 1 Feb 2012 01:04

Selkares wrote:I really like those books ;)

Well, I'm a huge fan of W40K's universe myself (I've been painting Space Wolves, Chaos Marines & desert Imperial Guardsmen & tanks for more than a decade ;) ), but the novel series has been lasting for too long.
After the events on both Isstvan III & V, GW has "frozen" time in order to produce as much books as possible about everything happening in the Imperium at the same time ... So, on the 18 novels published so far, less than half are directly related to the Horus Heresy: the first five of them, #9 (Mechanicum) & #14 (The First Heretic). Those are among the best books, usually entrusted to GW's best authors (mostly Dan Abnett & Graham McNeill)'s pen.
The other books are uneven, ranging from the very bad (#6 Descent of Angel) to quite cool (#7 Legion), but usually barely related to the Horus Heresy. Some like Legion or Nemesis would have been very good stand-alone books, which could have been set at any period of W40K's timeline without much work of adaptation.
The longer GW publish books in this serie, the more it makes money, so it will try to make it last for many years to come. At this pace, I'm afraid I'll die of old age before I can finally read about the battle for the Emperor's Palace ... :(

Well, it was what I thought before I started reading that one, #18 Delivrance Lost, which from what I've red so far, seems to be back on the main storyline's track just after Isstvan V ...
Let's hope! :)

Selkares
Brigadier

Postby Selkares » Wed 1 Feb 2012 01:21

Very true, you can feel GW is trying to get the most out of this series...

I read some of the stand-alone series, the Eisenhorn trilogy is great.

I also played until last year at the tabletop game, got Tau, necrons and Imperial Guard (around 4000 points of Death Korps :geek: )

I also play at the video games, my dream is a huge epic Warhammer40000 game:
1) a total war game with planets and space battles instead of boats or
2) a supcom-like game in the 40k universe or
3) a 40k with the iriszoom :mrgreen:

To come back to the books, the other series I'll try to read is the "gaunt's ghosts" ;)

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Wed 1 Feb 2012 01:26

I gave up on buying 40K minis long ago, but I still like the designs and variations of the Imperial Guard vehicles.
SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 1 Feb 2012 01:38

Selkares wrote:Very true, you can feel GW is trying to get the most out of this series...

If you like the Eisenhorn series, you'll like the Ravenor one which is basically its sequel, Inquisitor Ravenor being a minor character in Eisenhorn's second book.

Selkares wrote:To come back to the books, the other series I'll try to read is the "gaunt's ghosts" ;)

Gaunt's Ghost series is uneven too. Characters are cool, Dan Abnett is a good writer, but after a dozen of them you get bored. You should read the first three of them, #3 Necropolis being the best of all Gaunts. A Stalingrad style battle ...

Among the stand-alone books, Graham McNeill's "Storm of Iron" ("Déluge d'Acier" en VF) is may be the best: it is a XVIIIth century style siege adapted to the 40Hth millenium. Really good, the author being obviously well versed in ancient siege warfare ...
Dan Abnet't's "Titanicus" is also quite cool, depicting a Mechanicum planet at war against Chaos forces, both relying on Titan Legions.
And completely different from the rest of GW's production, the "Ciaphas Cain" series is relating the adventure of a cowardly commissar whom had chosen an appointment in an artillery unit to be sure to be far from the front, but becomes a hero against his will and his therefore honored with an assignment in a frontline regiment. Written at the first person as the memoirs of a retired Cain, with plenty of annotations from historians and an Inquisitor whom knew him well, it is a lot of fun ...

Tac Error wrote:I gave up on buying 40K minis long ago, but I still like the designs and variations of the Imperial Guard vehicles.

Same for me ...
I had quite an impressive Imperial Guard (Tallarn) army back then, with several tank squadrons and several full infantry companies.

Selkares
Brigadier

Postby Selkares » Wed 1 Feb 2012 01:49

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Selkares wrote:Very true, you can feel GW is trying to get the most out of this series...

If you like the Eisenhorn series, you'll like the Ravenor one which is basically its sequel, Inquisitor Ravenor being a minor character in Eisenhorn's second book.

Selkares wrote:To come back to the books, the other series I'll try to read is the "gaunt's ghosts" ;)

Gaunt's Ghost series is uneven too. Characters are cool, Dan Abnett is a good writer, but after a dozen of them you get bored. You should read the first three of them, #3 Necropolis being the best of all Gaunts. A Stalingrad style battle ...

I remember the Ravenor character.
I was afraid the Ravenor series was going to be too similar to the Eisenhorn one but if it's good, I'll give it a try.
And yes, the three first Gaunt's books is what I'm aiming for ;)

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Dan Abnet't's "Titanicus" is also quite cool, depicting a Mechanicum planet at war against Chaos forces, both relying on Titan Legions.

Yes, read that one, really liked it.

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Tac Error wrote:I gave up on buying 40K minis long ago, but I still like the designs and variations of the Imperial Guard vehicles.

Same for me ...
I had quite an impressive Imperial Guard (Tallarn) army back then, with several tank squadrons and several full infantry companies.

Well, I guess it's the same for everyone at some point.
I have quite a lot of units and even built my own table and scenery but this hobby takes too much time and money...
I still play a game or two from time to time and follow a bit the evolution (bought the last Necron codex for instance) but I definitely gave up painting.

solvens
Major

Postby solvens » Wed 1 Feb 2012 21:49

I was a Tau player, but yet I only play Infinity from time to time.
Have you asked GW to acquire the rights for a Wargame 40.000 extension ? :)

Ciaphas cain's books were fun. Which book from Dan Abnett should I read first ?

Back to the topic, I'm reading Double star by Heinlein.

A very interesting, but depressing book : Death is my trade, by Robert Merle.
A biographical novel about the life of the commandant of Auschwitz.

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 1 Feb 2012 22:43

solvens wrote:Which book from Dan Abnett should I read first ?

Without a doubt the "Eisenhorn Trilogy". It is the best series set in the W40K universe, focusing not on the mighty brainwashed Space Marines but on the Inquisition instead, and the threats from inside the Imperium.

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Thu 2 Feb 2012 07:52

Starting to read the second book in Fraser's series:

SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

fjodor
Sergeant First-Class

Postby fjodor » Fri 10 Feb 2012 12:55

Preparing for W:EE - Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit

Warriorsquirrel
Private First-Class

Postby Warriorsquirrel » Wed 15 Feb 2012 01:13

Thats the latest I finished reading.

Return to “Off-Topic”