War movies.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: War movies.

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 11 May 2015 09:42

hansbroger wrote:Very much "ordinary men". Gruesome and difficult to watch but definitely one of the common techniques if not outright standard procedure of einsatzgruppen and anti partisan troops SS and otherwise (the regular army and allied auxiliaries could be particularly brutal when doing counter insurgency work as well, especially in places such as Yugoslavia).

Indeed.
What may seem as "overdone" or "propaganda" nowadays in this scene was actually standard methods used by Einsatzgruppen. That's what was made clear in the documentary I saw which used that scene to depict Oradour: they said it was actually made based on historical works about Einsatzgruppen, with great attention to details.

If you speak French and want to watch the documentary I'm talking about , here it is:
Une division SS en France, Das Reich
It is far from perfect (many footages from 1940 or 1941 with Panzer II or III to illustrate 1944!), but at least the parts about the massacres are well documented.

Sunshine wrote:Just put it on my list, thanks! :)

Little known is the fact that Guy Sajer later made a successful career as a cartoonist, under the pen name "Dimitri". He was mostly famous for "The Goulag", a humourus series about a communist French worker emigrated to USSR whom ends up in a goulag. Yet, he enjoys life there, even getting married to a female guard camp and having a kid with her, although the former becomes a child-commissar always on the back of his lazy father to turn him into a real proper Stalinian communist.
Only when a belately published his memoirs did his past became known. He later published other (very serious) comics based on his memoirs, especially "Koursk".

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Wed 27 May 2015 01:41

The heavy water war (english title) should now be available with subs
https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&source=w ... 53MWuiUj7A
Viker for ingen!

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Sun 31 May 2015 00:11

What may seem as "overdone" or "propaganda" nowadays in this scene was actually standard methods used by Einsatzgruppen. That's what was made clear in the documentary I saw which used that scene to depict Oradour: they said it was actually made based on historical works about Einsatzgruppen, with great attention to details.

Also AFAIK similar to the standard MO for the Japanese in China. What they did at the Alexandria hospital and during the Manila massacre and at the Baatan death march...

I'm glad we live in a world where major nations don't do that stuff anymore.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Sat 6 Jun 2015 00:41

I know Stalingrad 2013 was talked about before but I just saw it and want to also warn anyone with an ounce of military knowledge: do not waste your time. Absolutely horrible in almost every way (the sets were actually pretty good though).

I laughed out-loud at the airstrike at the end...utter crap that makes Enemy at the Gate look like a master piece of historical significance.

Go to the dentist and have a cavity fixed rather than watch this...it would be more enjoyable.

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Sat 6 Jun 2015 11:14

OpusTheFowl wrote:I know Stalingrad 2013 was talked about before but I just saw it and want to also warn anyone with an ounce of military knowledge: do not waste your time. Absolutely horrible in almost every way (the sets were actually pretty good though).

I laughed out-loud at the airstrike at the end...utter crap that makes Enemy at the Gate look like a master piece of historical significance.

Go to the dentist and have a cavity fixed rather than watch this...it would be more enjoyable.

What about the ricocheting AT shell? :lol:

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Postby Romiros » Thu 11 Jun 2015 12:20

[EUG]MadMat wrote:What about the ricocheting AT shell? :lol:

It was HE. Shooting using ricochet was in artillerists textbooks for a long time.

Если при стрельбе снарядами с установкой взрывателя на замедленное действие уменьшать углы падения, то при определенном их значении снаряды начинают рикошетировать, т.е. отражаться от преграды под углами, которые несколько больше углов падения, и разрываться в воздухе. Опыт показывает, что современные снаряды при стрельбе по грунту при углах падения до 10 рикошетируют все (100%); при углах падения около 20 получается примерно 75...80% рикошетов; при возрастании углов падения до 30 количество рикошетирующих снарядов резко снижается. При стрельбе по целям, расположенным на воде, если углы падения составляют около 10, получается примерно 75...80% рикошетных разрывов.
В тех случаях, когда углы падения оказываются меньше 1...2, взрыватель с колпачком часто не срабатывает, а снаряд разрывается при втором или даже третьем падении. При таких углах падения стрельбу на рикошетах выгоднее вести при установке взрывателя на замедленное действие без колпачка. В этом случае взрыватель начнет действовать от соприкосновения с травой, грунтом и сработает через некоторое время, когда снаряд после рикошета будет уже в
воздухе, т.е. произойдет воздушный разрыв.
Рикошетирующий снаряд отклоняется обычно вправо от плоскости стрельбы, поэтому направление полосы основной массы осколков составляет с направлением стрельбы некоторый угол. Вид воздушного
разрыва снаряда после рикошета показан на рис. 5; а характер разлета осколков - на рис. 6. Осколочное действие снарядов при стрельбе на рикошетах также характеризуется приведенной зоной поражения, которая примерно в 1,5...2 раза больше, чем при стрельбе с установкой взрывателя на осколочное действие. Кроме того, разрывы снарядов в воздухе после их рикошетирования оказывают сильное морально-психологическое воздействие на живую силу противника.
Стрельбу на рикошетах целесообразно вести по живой силе и небронированной технике, расположенных открыто или в окопах (траншеях) без перекрытий, а при поражении надводных целей - по живой силе и огневым средствам десанта в десантно-высадочных средствах (за исключением плавающих танков и бронетранспортеров).

That tank, btw

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Thu 11 Jun 2015 16:52

Romiros wrote:It was HE. Shooting using ricochet was in artillerists textbooks for a long time.

Except for the fact the 53-K didn't use HE...it did have fragmentation rounds however...

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 29 Jun 2015 23:58

Is that some kind of Polish Black Hawk Down? :)

Solo
Brigadier

Postby Solo » Tue 30 Jun 2015 08:47

Taking a course at university called American Military History. We had to write a paper on an American war film; I wrote mine on Black Hawk Down. Earned a 100% :D

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 30 Jun 2015 15:06

Solo wrote:Taking a course at university called American Military History. We had to write a paper on an American war film; I wrote mine on Black Hawk Down. Earned a 100% :D

Do you think you could get away with star wars its American and its a war film.