How Blind are Units with Poor Optics?

mehoo462
Corporal

How Blind are Units with Poor Optics?

Postby mehoo462 » Mon 10 Sep 2012 20:15

A quick question:

How blind are units with poor optics?

I have this concept in my head that all units need to be accompanied by recon at all times. But this can get expensive, so I'm wondering how much do you let units with Poor optics (that is, pretty much everything) rely on their own eyes?

For example, if I put an ATGM team (or some tanks) at the edge of a forest, will it be able to see and shoot the stuff that is out in the open and comes in gun range?

Thanks.

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Re: How Blind are Units with Poor Optics?

Postby DeuZerre » Mon 10 Sep 2012 20:37

From my experience, poor is approximately standard tank range, and normal Heavy tank range.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

solvens
Major

Postby solvens » Mon 10 Sep 2012 20:38

ATGM teams are infantry, and have normal optics, which makes them self sufficient (since they are hard to see).
About tanks, as long as your opponent doesn't have any reco, you should spot his moving units before he spots your hidden ones... As long as he doesn't have any reco ;).

Sometimes you can get at gun range before seeing the ennemy with poor optics, especially when there is hedges on the way, so if you want to make them rely on their own eyes you can put them behind an obstacle (like hills), so you will always have the element of surprise.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Mon 10 Sep 2012 22:29

You could use a sprinkling of cheap units with normal optics a bit forward for recon. Read: infantry.

Communazi
Sergeant Major

Postby Communazi » Tue 11 Sep 2012 06:00

even 'good' optics seems to be fairly crap.

I think you need to hide some cheap units ahead of your force & disable their weapons, expensive recon is far too a juicy target.

IlSocio
Sergeant

Postby IlSocio » Tue 11 Sep 2012 09:13

I use often empty-not useful-APCs after they are done transporting infantry.

Sometimes i even destroy non-armoured commands with those, in large maps where people think that becouse they are far from enemy lines their CVs doesn't need support :mrgreen:
Moana Team

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”