Marder VTSI

Postby stug41 » Tue 11 Sep 2012 04:41

Does anyone use this? If so, how?
They come 12 in a deck.

Guggy
General

Re: Marder VTSI

Postby Guggy » Tue 11 Sep 2012 05:15

For awhile, EVERY NATO player used that unit in their deck. It was a central part of a rushing strategy that led to the range increase on Heavy tanks, as well as some other tweaks.

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Tue 11 Sep 2012 05:56

Their big issue was their armor which allowed them to absorb the vast majority of ATGM hits from Pact launchers (one hit is all it needed, it'd be on the enemy by the 2nd shot). But the BIGGEST issue was the veterancy system allowing for the tank to be vetted very cheaply, and producing a unit that was extremely capable and even good at firing on the move.

walkyre
Master Sergeant

Postby walkyre » Tue 11 Sep 2012 07:56

this is nearly the only "gunvehicle" i use with nato .... like the zalo with pact... you normaly dont need more than this

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Tue 11 Sep 2012 08:01

walkyre wrote:this is nearly the only "gunvehicle" i use with nato .... like the zalo with pact... you normaly dont need more than this

Dito. Coupled with Marder1 and Marder Roland2 they make a nice quick reaction force. And they are expendable.
Perlen vor die Säue.

Mtp34
Sergeant Major

Postby Mtp34 » Tue 11 Sep 2012 08:47

Many people are using the Marder VTSI as quick reaction force to encounter quickly and with low cost any kind of attack from the opponent (like Inf rush adn funny things like this ).

I have also seen that in a lot of 1v1 games i played recently, btw to prepare myself for the tournament where i hope not to be kicked out in the first round ( :) :) :) ).

Otherwise it can be also used as cover for the command unit (lets say use 1-2 max).

i personally like this unit as it gives you a flexibility in reacting on multiple, possible situation within the battle.

Mtp34
Sergeant Major

Postby Mtp34 » Tue 11 Sep 2012 08:47

Misfit wrote:
walkyre wrote:this is nearly the only "gunvehicle" i use with nato .... like the zalo with pact... you normaly dont need more than this

Dito. Coupled with Marder1 and Marder Roland2 they make a nice quick reaction force. And they are expendable.

A very good and descent combination of units.

IlSocio
Sergeant

Postby IlSocio » Tue 11 Sep 2012 09:09

I totally agree with those who use them as cheap anti-inf-rush but also combined with marder1 and rolands.

Givin' them 2 vet and watch them obliterate infantry, ATGM, and all the cheap stuff (APC, cheap tanks). Of course the same can be done with zhalos.

If you need gun-power fast and cheap, this is your choice.
Moana Team

Prettyhill
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Prettyhill » Tue 11 Sep 2012 10:11

The Marder VTS1 has been important in the history of WEE.

After the artillery meta post-launch, VTS1 became very popular.

In an earlier state of the game, a well conducted VTS1 rush was actually very hard to counter due to the reasons mentioned above. Then a patch came, and lowered the rate of fire of these small beasts. That didn't help very much and led to the heavy tank patch.

I think VTS1 was the main contributor to the patch that created the very distinct heavy tank meta, that lasted for several months (and indeed made the game a bit pale after a while).
"Am i really discussing wargames here with people who have never heard of Fistful of TOWs? I guess that explains why no one has a clue as to what a wargame is then." -Sharky Ward

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”