Are over 2.5 km fields common in Germany? Are the maps good?

tiago
Captain

Re: Are over 2.5 km fields common in Germany? Are the maps g

Postby tiago » Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:12

DelroyMonjo wrote:Just for some contrast from the previous photos....Texas, USA- 268,581 sq mi (696,241 km2)
I doubt one would see an aerial view like that in Germany.
Wait a few seconds for a 360 degree pan.

http://www.hawkeyemedia.com/panos/Sugargirl_Ranch.asp

There are.., or very close to it. When I went to visit NeuSchwanstein I saw quite a few very flat and open terrain between München and Füssen. You know Germany has farms as well ;) Anywhere where large farm fields are possible is a open combat field for tanks .

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:25

DelroyMonjo wrote:Just for some contrast from the previous photos....Texas, USA- 268,581 sq mi (696,241 km2)
I doubt one would see an aerial view like that in Germany.
Wait a few seconds for a 360 degree pan.

http://www.hawkeyemedia.com/panos/Sugargirl_Ranch.asp

Could be Schleswig-Holstein (far NW Germany) with a lot of imagination. Its a lot more flat with a lot less forests there. But a WW3 would have been long over if Warsaw Pact made it there. :lol:
I grew up close to the inner german border and it could be a coincidence but the landscape was pretty much left untouched for decades. Lots of villages with only a single street and most acres wont go further than 1km in any direction and being surrounded by ditches, hedgerows or small forests.
Perlen vor die Säue.

arminiuz
Sergeant First-Class

Postby arminiuz » Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:33

Misfit wrote:All those panoramic views are good and well, but when you drive through germanies northern flats you'll see a huge amount of slopes, ditches, hedgerows and forsets (they cover most streets), small villages and farms, hills, etc. And you can see a lot of slopes on most of those pictures, it'll be easy to use hull down position almost everywhere.

So, no 2,5km fields are not common but the exception.

2.5 km Fields maybe not that common in nothern Germany but in western Ger, (as my Google Maps Screenshot) in the Area of Wesel / Kleve there are several of these fields.

Click Me and have look yourself. (zoom out)
Last edited by arminiuz on Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

D-M

Postby D-M » Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:35

So far away from civilization !

arminiuz
Sergeant First-Class

Postby arminiuz » Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:36

Nope, not so far away ;)

EDIT
Wrong Link, here, not very far away

https://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=wesel ... ra=ls&z=12

18km to Wesel and ~35 km to the Ruhrarea (one of the biggest metropolitan areas in Europe!)

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:42

arminiuz wrote:
Misfit wrote:All those panoramic views are good and well, but when you drive through germanies northern flats you'll see a huge amount of slopes, ditches, hedgerows and forsets (they cover most streets), small villages and farms, hills, etc. And you can see a lot of slopes on most of those pictures, it'll be easy to use hull down position almost everywhere.

So, no 2,5km fields are not common but the exception.

2.5 km Fields maybe not that common in nothern Germany but in western Ger, (as my Google Maps Screenshot) in the Area of Wesel / Kleve there are several of these fields.

Click Me and have look yourself. (zoom out)

Well take a close look at all the ditches surrounding the acres. And you can always climb on top of an elevation and see kilometers away. That still doesnt mean you can see everything or look in every ditch. Fact is there are more areas with less than 500m uncovered line of view than billard table flats like we are having in Wargame or on those pictures. But hey, what do i know. :roll:

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rtHhue ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiEWKVqF ... re=related
Perlen vor die Säue.

tiago
Captain

Postby tiago » Thu 27 Sep 2012 14:59

Then we must define what you consider clear view. I consider clear view a terrain where I can see a dam M1A1 colored in bright pink ( to make cammo irrelevant factor in this discussion).

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Thu 27 Sep 2012 15:25

As i said, what do i know with all those google experts. :roll:
Perlen vor die Säue.

urielventis
Sergeant Major

Postby urielventis » Thu 27 Sep 2012 20:15

During the cold war, a german study found that over half the terrain on the inter-german border has sighting range of less than 500m, and that only 10% has sighting range over 2000m.

Major Snails
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Major Snails » Thu 27 Sep 2012 21:32

As a german I can say, I cannot see Germanies Landscape or urban/suburban situation beiing reflected in the "german names" maps of W:EE in any way.

In germany:

- there are more hedgerows, treelines, small forests
- nearly every region has at least some bigger woods, except for the extreme north of the country (like fulda gap comes pretty much close to the south/central germany situations. except for the hills beeing in a valley o_O
- especially hills are often covered with woods
- villages are many times as big as that one in W:EE, lie VERY close to each other, often have interconnected industrial or similar areas, many small buildings, farm buildings (very common everywhere), lonely houses or villas.
- rivers, big and small, are pretty much everywhere
- large lakes are not quite common, at least not of the size you find in W:EE
- micro terrain features are everywhere. Streets often lie on "damns" or in a ditch.
- we have MANY railways
- small streets, even through fields, are way better than those you find in W:EE (you could drive very fast there)
- fields sizes differ in East- and West germany throught to different agricultural situation. In East, fields are many times the size than in the west.
- something like "swamps" is quite uncommon if not completly non-existent, especially in urban areas or near villages.
If existing, they are extremly small
- there is a church in every freaking town :)
- streets are annoying, but still way better than those in W:EE
- slopes are quite commonly covered with woods or fields all the time. Woods are more likely imo.

I could go on like this forever. I just say this: for a wannabe-simulator, not-know-if-its-not-only-arcade game, the maps are all but realistic and more like a very abstract arcade style maps.
Especially the symmetric setup makes me really *yawn* all the time. Balance is nowhere in this game, but in the map design... really really bad decission when it comes to me :)

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”