High and low end tanks with long range ATGMs

Against --

More/better autocannons
Better stabilizers
Better Infantry
Better tank guns?
Hellfires?
?????

When I win with NATO it is almost always against an inferior PACT player. Against a PACT player that knows his faction, only circumstances will let a NATO player win. Circumstances like maybe the good PACT player has unskilled teammates. Maybe he made just one mistake and did not counter those Deltas in time. But my point is that NATO is the underdog.

The NATO advantages just do not counter the PACT advantages. In a contest between two equally skilled players, the PACT player wins barring any unusual circumstance.

I hope W:AB addresses this. I know PACT fanboys will call this a whine post....of course they will. They want to believe it is 'leet skillz' that allows them to win. Sorry to tell you, it is also a moderately imbalanced faction that helps you win.
Perfection is the Enemy of Progress

Dimonay
Lieutenant

Re: PACT has so many advantages

Postby Dimonay » Fri 19 Oct 2012 19:44

I can see you're point but for some reason I like Nato better than Pact.
I think it's more about how you play

stryker468
Sergeant

Postby stryker468 » Fri 19 Oct 2012 19:49

Dimonay wrote:I can see you're point but for some reason I like Nato better than Pact.
I think it's more about how you play

I like NATO better also. I notice more folks like NATO

I don't know, maybe this is why PACT has advantages...so that people will want to play that faction

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Fri 19 Oct 2012 20:53

The autocannon advantage can be a huge factor to NATO, good players try and exploit it whenever possible. There's also deadlier ATGMs (accuracy+AP) than on the Pact side and they come on rather affordable vehicles (just check out ATGM jeeps). Combat recons are much better for NATO. Just for the fun factor, you can get all the advantages in a single vehicle, the price of which was just discounted with DLC3...

In competitive tournaments, you have to play both factions and I've never noticed a clear bias for either. It's all about who brings the better suited units for the tactic that fits the map and is not countered by the opponent.

Elukka
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Elukka » Fri 19 Oct 2012 20:57

If either faction was notably overpowered we'd see most of the top ladder players use that faction. We don't.

stryker468
Sergeant

Postby stryker468 » Fri 19 Oct 2012 21:21

varis wrote:The autocannon advantage can be a huge factor to NATO, good players try and exploit it whenever possible.

The 'autocannon advantage' is only valid on smaller maps with more terrain to block LOS. If you can maneuver into autocannon range, more power to you. More often than not, those autocannon vehicles are stopped dead by PACT arty or ATGMs.

varis wrote:There's also deadlier ATGMs (accuracy+AP) than on the Pact side and they come on rather affordable vehicles (just check out ATGM jeeps).

Yes. And as soon as the PACT player knows about those Jeeps he sends in the arty shells.

varis wrote:Combat recons are much better for NATO. Just for the fun factor, you can get all the advantages in a single vehicle, the price of which was just discounted with DLC3...

This is true, but it does not compensate for the rest of the imbalance

varis wrote:In competitive tournaments, you have to play both factions and I've never noticed a clear bias for either. It's all about who brings the better suited units for the tactic that fits the map and is not countered by the opponent.

In tournaments players play both factions. Naturally, over time the win/loss ratios are going to smooth out and player skill will be the deciding factor in most cases

stryker468
Sergeant

Postby stryker468 » Fri 19 Oct 2012 21:25

Elukka wrote:If either faction was notably overpowered we'd see most of the top ladder players use that faction. We don't.

Are you talking tournaments?

Because if you are just talking normal multiplayer I noticed this exact thing. High ELO (and hi level also) players are the ones who actively select the PACT side in most cases I have seen.

I really think that there is a slight PACT advantage because it is the least popular faction. But then again may be I'm being paranoid ;)

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Fri 19 Oct 2012 21:28

stryker468 wrote:Naturally, over time the win/loss ratios are going to smooth out and player skill will be the deciding factor in most cases

AKA its balanced. What other definition could you possibly use?

stryker468
Sergeant

Postby stryker468 » Fri 19 Oct 2012 21:32

Gronank wrote:
stryker468 wrote:Naturally, over time the win/loss ratios are going to smooth out and player skill will be the deciding factor in most cases

AKA its balanced. What other definition could you possibly use?

No it does not mean balanced

It means that Player 1 was able to utilize PACT with its advantages, and then he was forced to use NATO in another game. He was forced to use each, so overall things balance out. But in that individual game he played as PACT, he got the advantage.

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Fri 19 Oct 2012 21:48

Imo NATO has a much broader and better selection of vehicles, choppers and artillery. And the TOW is nothing to sneeze at, considering you can get it for just 20 points.
Perlen vor die Säue.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”