Supply and How it defeats Artillery

Clockwork
Private First-Class

Supply and How it defeats Artillery

Postby Clockwork » Tue 21 Feb 2012 14:14

Artillery master tend to bombard nonstop when they have reasonable targets and runs out of supply from their FoBs, some build several FoBs early on - they only delay the inevitable.

So how to make this work for you and your team, you build expendable troops that is cheap and does not generate a great deal of value but still can pack a punch against heavy armor in close space in forests and offer em as targets while your main force are hidden or maneuvering into striking range...protected against air recon with a simple missile screen. If your enemy don't use heavy artillery your not out of the game even, you just have the ability to push at will- win win.

Now the hardest part is to actually wait, sit tight and wait until artillery drop in amount quite to a level from rain to trickle. While trying to make sure the losses of troops are down to the cheapest in your deck, you will find it ain't that hard but the numbers being 500 vs opponents 1000-1500 might be quite intimidating to look at.

Now is it where your recon or airborne units come into play scouting, the small amount of armor the opponent got sitting as speed bumps en route to destination might be worth avoiding or using your long range unit to take em out swiftly as you march into their artillery racking up close to 2000 points in one sweep before moving onto next artillery cluster.

So time eventually beats artillery for you, if you play the pieces..

grims
Corporal

Re: Supply and How it defeats Artillery

Postby grims » Tue 21 Feb 2012 15:09

I do agree with this strat, but one thing is that someone dedicated to arty can resupply with trucks for verry little cost. Now some do this some dont. i have seen one guy with tons of empty resupply trucks in his base and continued constant fire until the game ended

BobbyDylan
Sergeant First-Class

Postby BobbyDylan » Tue 21 Feb 2012 15:30

grims wrote:I do agree with this strat, but one thing is that someone dedicated to arty can resupply with trucks for verry little cost. Now some do this some dont. i have seen one guy with tons of empty resupply trucks in his base and continued constant fire until the game ended

The current game mode does little to decentivise this kind of behaviour. When your goal is to kill a set point number, and not hold ground, this kind of tactic is attractive (i've never done it myself, mind, it seems dull).

Soyaman
Sergeant Major

Postby Soyaman » Tue 21 Feb 2012 16:06

BobbyDylan wrote:
grims wrote:I do agree with this strat, but one thing is that someone dedicated to arty can resupply with trucks for verry little cost. Now some do this some dont. i have seen one guy with tons of empty resupply trucks in his base and continued constant fire until the game ended

The current game mode does little to decentivise this kind of behaviour. When your goal is to kill a set point number, and not hold ground, this kind of tactic is attractive (i've never done it myself, mind, it seems dull).

And this is why I play Time.

Certain strategies actually work here which doesn't work in Destruction. Rushing, pushing for example.
Artillery is vulnerable late-game
And so is ATGM spam. The lack of supplies will force the enemy to either get veteran units and guarantee hit. Or not spam missiles.

Clockwork
Private First-Class

Postby Clockwork » Tue 21 Feb 2012 20:25

BobbyDylan wrote:

It is undoubtedly boring to play the strategy against artillery, but it's less boring than being victimized early on by artillery. The endgame on other hand can be quite fun, quite thrilling against a good opponent. As for when he is done to supply trucks, he is no longer firing optimal...

If your opponent actually play any other strategy you still are able to play this style of game without the waiting, as said it is a win win tactic, you can deal with just any type of deck.

You just get the advantage of a better sit. awareness. Hence time is on your side

Gezak
Private First-Class

Postby Gezak » Wed 22 Feb 2012 14:23

Any strategy that includes waiting until the artillery has spent all the ammo is basically the "do nothing" strategy, and not very inspired.

The "plan" to just let your opponent pound you into the ground and then hope for him to run out of ammo... well it wont work against a support player that has played support more then a few times.

A good support player wont run out of ammo. Ever.

The weak point of support is not ammo, as he most likely wont have long supply lines that you can raid.

The weak point that he WILL have is usually his teammates leaving him largely undefended.

Scout. Infiltrate. Destroy.

shibdib
Sergeant

Postby shibdib » Wed 22 Feb 2012 16:04

Re-balancing supply will fix the game. Limit each player to 1 fob and a limited number of supply vehicles, it'll discourage aimless arty fire, discourage turtling, and encourage better tactical use of vehicles and not spamming them.

Yinyang262
Private

Postby Yinyang262 » Thu 23 Feb 2012 04:37

What about a cooldown on times between barrages for artillery pieces?

Gezak
Private First-Class

Postby Gezak » Thu 23 Feb 2012 13:46

shibdib wrote:Re-balancing supply will fix the game. Limit each player to 1 fob and a limited number of supply vehicles, it'll discourage aimless arty fire, discourage turtling, and encourage better tactical use of vehicles and not spamming them.

Aimless arty fire, turtling and spamming of troops were tactics that were used extensively by US and USSR forces in all World Wars and later.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”