NATO strategies?

tiago
Captain

Re: NATO strategies?

Postby tiago » Wed 22 Feb 2012 18:39

Would be nice if we had command like "keep facing enemy" " guns silent" in addition to fast move. That would give us much better options to implement tactical advantage.

Kamfrenchie
Sergeant Major

Postby Kamfrenchie » Wed 22 Feb 2012 19:18

If by guns silent you mean not opening fire on sight, you can do this by turning off the weapons of a unit.
Had heavy tanks been buffed there would not have been a need for a vts1 nerf.

so long as there's no AA ,your Havocs/Apaches should be ruling the skies unless you're absolute rubbish with them.

Boogie Van on balance talk

tiago
Captain

Postby tiago » Wed 22 Feb 2012 19:40

But then they will not answer fire when fired upon. Gun silent means do nto open fire to not be detected.. but if they are firign at you.. for hells sake.. return the favor.

Yinyang262
Private

Postby Yinyang262 » Thu 23 Feb 2012 04:31

Personally I think the winning Strategy for NATO is a Diverse opening. On my 1v1's I always start with the same opening, Recon Helo, 2 Apaches, 2 AA Helos, One squad of delta force (dropping into a forest somewhere), then mortar carriers and either Abrams or Leopard II's depending on my mood, using the ATGM's from the Apaches and the long range from the mortars you can demoralize or destroy part of the enemies armor or vehicles before they even get near you, enemy AA can be taken out with the mortars while you use the superior mobility of your helos to harrass. I would generally agree that a bend not break strategy is effective as long as you hold enough territories.

grims
Corporal

Postby grims » Thu 23 Feb 2012 08:32

Yinyang262 wrote:Personally I think the winning Strategy for NATO is a Diverse opening. On my 1v1's I always start with the same opening, Recon Helo, 2 Apaches, 2 AA Helos, One squad of delta force (dropping into a forest somewhere), then mortar carriers and either Abrams or Leopard II's depending on my mood, using the ATGM's from the Apaches and the long range from the mortars you can demoralize or destroy part of the enemies armor or vehicles before they even get near you, enemy AA can be taken out with the mortars while you use the superior mobility of your helos to harrass. I would generally agree that a bend not break strategy is effective as long as you hold enough territories.

I never tried the the apaches in beta due to their cost, but i think i will give them a shot this time around

lionel23
Sergeant

Postby lionel23 » Thu 23 Feb 2012 09:14

I find NATO much stronger and diverse than PACT. The key to Nato is their superior infantry compared to Warsaw.

US Dragons, US Stingers, US Riflemen are a huge thing for NATO, along with the French (or is it British?) Milan ATGM teams. Nato also possesses the best combat infantry transport - the M113A2. It's 1 armor all around, equipped with an M2 Browning which will destroy all PACT vehicles due to them not having armor.

Also, I find NATO armor far better. Yes you don't have AT missiles but I much prefer to rely on guns over missiles. That's why you have the Sheridan tank (ATGM light tank) and the Starship (crappier ATGM, but has a much better improved main gun). Leave it to your infantry to tout the ATGMs and rely on massed numbers of weapons. If you REALLY want to hit something and kill it with missiles, use Bradley recons or the M113 ITW.

Also, sad you don't use the Apache, it's way better than the Cobra by far. It costs more but it has 10 HP over 5, which means 3 iglas will instant kill a Cobra but a Apache will survive all 3 hits, giving you a chance to escape.

To those who don't know this:
Huey (5HP), Blackhawk & Chinooks (10 HP)
Cobra (5HP, Apache (10 HP)
Armored Command Vehicles (10hp), Jeep Command (5hp)

You will see this in game, it's sadly not listed on the stat sheets to make it obvious. Same with the number of guys in an infantry squad. Basic riflemen squads will come with 10 guys per squad, while support and special forces generally are 5 man squads.

diana olympos
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby diana olympos » Thu 23 Feb 2012 09:40

Taht strange cause during the beta, guys said the exact opposite ^^

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Thu 23 Feb 2012 12:27

lionel23 wrote:Nato also possesses the best combat infantry transport - the M113A2. It's 1 armor all around, equipped with an M2 Browning which will destroy all PACT vehicles due to them not having armor.

The M113A2 doesn't have 1 armour all around, only 1 in front. It basically shares stats and cost with the BTR-60PB but is slower with a little more accurate gun. Speed is more important for transports than accuracy IMO.

The M113 with all around 1 armour is the A3 which is terribly overpriced compared to the BMP-1. The BMP-1 is basically a light tank/tankdestroyer with the ability to carry infantry, the M113A3 is a transport that is only as fast as the cheapest transports with minimum protection against artillery.

In mine humble opinion, the whole M113 series are the worst transports in the entire game, you need to constantly babysit the cheap variant because of fuel limitations and it is just not worth the price to have that amended with the higher versions since you never know if it's going to survive the push to the other end of the map anyway.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”