MLRS vs Smerch

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

MLRS vs Smerch

Postby enohka » Thu 20 Dec 2012 12:55

Hey,

I'd like to discuss the balance between the Natos MLRS and the Pacts Smerch.

Lets have a look at the Stats:

On the paper the Smerch seems to be better:
  • Accuracy: 10
  • HE Power: 7
  • ROF: 11/min

MLRS:
  • Accuracy: 8
  • HE Power: 5
  • ROF: 11/min

But in real life i think the MLRS is way stronger. Why do i think like that? The real ROF of the MLRS is way better than the Smerchs. It's cheaper and you can call more. In team games, a good nato team will start with 2-3 MLRS, when you fire 36 Rockets with corrected shot the lower accuracy is not really important.

Lets have a look at FLX's "Big Chart"

Smerch
  • Aim Time: 9
  • Reload Time: 90
  • ROF: 9,7

MLRS
  • Aim Time: 7
  • Reload Time: 60
  • ROF: 6,8

The result of this is, you can fire way more rockets in a shorter time, you can react faster. You have it way more easy to fire at moving blobs.

Last fact: you can call 4 Smerch or 14 MLRS which are better and cheaper.

I think the MLRS should be nerved slightly - my suggestion would be the aiming Time and the price.

What do you guys think about that?

Regards

enohka

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Re: MLRS vs Smerch

Postby Vasily Krysov » Thu 20 Dec 2012 13:08

Buff the Urgan and match it's price to the MLRS so the Urgan is the MLRS equiv and the Smerch is MLRS++.

D-M

Postby D-M » Thu 20 Dec 2012 13:40

Last fact: you can call 4 Smerch or 14 MLRS which are better and cheaper.

8-)

Ps: HE power multiply an arty's effectiveness and I don't think you can just say it's better if you don't look at the ammo comsumption effectiveness too.

Problem is too complicated while the data aren't enough to specifically say what is better but from my own experience, I 'd prefer the Smerch. :/

Torrisco
Colonel

Postby Torrisco » Thu 20 Dec 2012 13:58

enohka wrote:But in real life i think the MLRS is way stronger. Why do i think like that? The real ROF of the MLRS is way better than the Smerchs. It's cheaper and you can call more. In team games, a good nato team will start with 2-3 MLRS, when you fire 36 Rockets with corrected shot the lower accuracy is not really important.

well we can see videos in youtube and seems that smerch can fire lot faster than M270.
M270 uses 220mm rockets while smerch uses 300mm rockets = more power
when you uses 3 M270 you will drain your fob in 5 or 6 salvos, ingame is way better the smerch than the M270...
smerch has 10 ac at much longer range than M270 which means that Smerch will be always more accurate and sometimes just 1 smerch can kill most of cvs with corrected at huge distances, while M270 needs most of times 2 of them to achieve the same and even their spread at longest range usually fails.

M270 and Smerch for me are balanced... Uragan is the one which needs some changes.

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Thu 20 Dec 2012 14:13

well we can see videos in youtube and seems that smerch can fire lot faster than M270.

Thats def. not true, try it. You can post the video too if you want.

M270 uses 220mm rockets while smerch uses 300mm rockets = more power

In this case quantity is more important than the quality. And you will have it way more easy to get a hit due the about 30% faster aiming time.

when you uses 3 M270 you will drain your fob in 5 or 6 salvos, ingame is way better the smerch than the M270...

A good team will provide the MLRS builder the FOBs, and help you with supply if they are empty. Im talking about >= 2v2

smerch has 10 ac at much longer range than M270 which means that Smerch will be always more accurate and sometimes just 1 smerch can kill most of cvs with corrected at huge distances, while M270 needs most of times 2 of them to achieve the same and even their spread at longest range usually fails.

The range doesnt really matter on most of the maps. So does the accuracy when you are able to shoot faster. You will never be able to kill a CV with one Smerch/MLRS against a relatively good player but you got bigger chances with MLRS due the faster aiming time.

Drrty-D
Major

Postby Drrty-D » Thu 20 Dec 2012 14:24

---FACT---
3 Nato MRLS is almost powerful as 2 Smerch.
They shoot 3 times faster and cost only 45 more,where is the logic in that.And yeah,you can buy 12 WTF?. ;)

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 20 Dec 2012 14:28

The logic is in "One logistics deck slot of pact contains more supplies than 1 Nato supplies slot".
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Thu 20 Dec 2012 14:30

supply is not the problem... you can Spamm with 3 MLRS for 60 minutes in a 2v2!

Drrty-D
Major

Postby Drrty-D » Thu 20 Dec 2012 14:31

DeuZerre wrote:The logic is in "One logistics deck slot of pact contains more supplies than 1 Nato supplies slot".

Have you ever played team games and not with randoms against randoms.With Nato if you play to do MRLS camping,you have your mates FOBs so if its 3vs3 ,3 Fobs for MRLS is enough for a 40 min game,you can always buy extra FOB if you wanna just spamm MRLSs,so this is not the logical point.
But yeah,as i said before,only thing that would not make NATO OP is the lack of supply truck,hope that stays that way.

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Thu 20 Dec 2012 14:32

Artillery ROF is mostly limited by the supply chain. 3 MLRS eat up supplies extremely quickly.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”