"WEE for what it truly is": a different angle

Sotek
Master Sergeant

"WEE for what it truly is": a different angle

Postby Sotek » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:23

This is likely my last attempt at reaching the developers and some of my fellow players. My disappointment in WEE has not wavered, but I still have hope for WALB. I will try to convey my bafflement through a different angle, so it can serve a useful purpose for the next installment.

Before everything, let's please not talk about my match or any other. This is no place for drama. My opponent deserved his victory and, as I said in the first place, I should have played differently. Bentguru, Enohka, Komaromi were right in pointing at the holes in my defense, but that was not the point I was trying to make, so I will try to do so more clearly.

So, what is the problem with WEE?

Any top-level player is only a mistake away from losing to a newcomer who is rushing/spamming.

Now, assuming that WEE aims at being competitive and considering the steep learning curve, am I really the only one seeing a problem here? Are there any other STR where a mistake is all it takes for anyone to take down the best? Gaining skill in WEE takes time, but the reward that comes with it does not seem that compelling.

Of course, the "pro" has to make a mistake somewhere - some will no doubt emphasize that point -, but in a "standard" WEE game without initial spamrush, the same player could easily make a dozen mistakes and still come out on top, as in any STR true to the name. Such is the reward that comes with skill/experience.

Given the current state of WEE, I guarantee that I could train a 12-y old to rush/spam and that after a single day he would be able to beat 75% of his opponents. Is this possible in any other serious STR? This experiment has actually been successfully carried out by DarrickS.

That's what I meant when I said that I finally "saw WEE for what it truly is". And please, I am not calling myself a "pro" or Rapeman a noob.

Now, does anyone think that it is satisfactory?

praslovan
Major-General

Re: "WEE for what it truly is": a different angle

Postby praslovan » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:27

EE is saying goodbye... ALB is coming. Why bother?

Imo EE was experiment and never aimed to be SC of cold war in terms of esports. Hence Eugen being surprised about the # of copies sold.

And why do you post this now? Game is like this for quite some time now.

Maybe players that consider themselves "top" (or others convinced them to) are not so "top" after all.
Last edited by praslovan on Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:34, edited 2 times in total.

untilted
Master Sergeant

Postby untilted » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:30

Sotek wrote:Any top-level player is only a mistake away from losing to a newcomer who is rushing/spamming.

only in 1v1 (and maybe 2v2)

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:33

untilted wrote:
Sotek wrote:Any top-level player is only a mistake away from losing to a newcomer who is rushing/spamming.

True. But game is not useful above that.

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:35

@Sotek:

I'm not a competitive player, but I agree with what you said, overall.

Some game design issues cause big problems, but I believe it's too late for W:EE. It's stilla good game though, just not a competitive one.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:40

I really hope this problem will be solved in WAB.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:45

Crotou wrote:I really hope this problem will be solved in WAB.

FLX wrote:
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Another preview ... in Polish: ;)
http://www.gry-online.pl/S022.asp?ID=8720&STR=2

(Google trad)
Change will see the game balance, especially in its early stages. Players will get the start less firepower, so as to reduce the effectiveness of rushów. ;)

I only hope spam of threads like this lately don't convince Eugen that this problem is as big as Godzilla and that they overdo the counteractions for it.

BlackLabel
Sergeant First-Class

Postby BlackLabel » Fri 11 Jan 2013 16:56

praslovan wrote:
untilted wrote:

True. But game is not useful above that.

Still fun to play..not everyone wants to be in the "1v1 elitist prick club" ;)

Mtp34
Sergeant Major

Postby Mtp34 » Fri 11 Jan 2013 17:00

My personal view on this game is simple, it has pro`s and contra`s and it seems to be maybe not the perfect game, but for my personal purposes and from what i do expect for the money i invested here, its one of the best games i have bought last year.

I think all depends what you personally put into this and what you want to personally achieve (eg high Elo etc or simply play some decent rounds in the evening).

I prefer the last.

Btw i was surprised about the discussions in regards of Darricks and Sotek matches during the cup, but as both have stated, those things can happen even to the best.

"Chapeau" for their personal behaviour and spotsmanship after their matches.

Firestarter
Lieutenant

Postby Firestarter » Fri 11 Jan 2013 17:02

I wouldn't say it's too late to fix these issues for WEE, although there would always be loopholes around them since the issue lies in the core aspect of the game.
I'll just wait out til Airland, no need to frustrate myself even further over trivial causes.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”