Evolution of playing style

schaefsky
Sergeant Major

Evolution of playing style

Postby schaefsky » Wed 10 Apr 2013 17:26

I have been playing WEE since about release, and I recently noticed that my playing style has evolved quite a bit:
First, I was a very defensive player, kind of building forests of doom. (ah the good old days of flamethrowers with no LOS restriction, a platoon of inf and a flamer could kill a whole army :D)
Then I thought, map control is king, and always went for about the middle of the map to grab it and defend and maybe push later.
Now, after drooling over some WALB beta videos (planes ftw!), I decided to be a bit more aggressive. That is basicly the same as above, but pushing forward more with less regards for losses.
My points have changed a little because of that, usually (not always though ;)) I had lowest casualties in my team, they tend to be a bit higher now. But boy, I'm enjoying my T72As rolling towards the enemy! And I also think, being more aggressive has had quite an impact on the outcome of a game (especially if you happen to meet something like a CV on the move with something like 2 Gazelle cannon and a Gazelle SNEB).
So, while my points rating at the end of the game has become worse, I think I've gotten better at actually helping to win the game. Also it is a lot more fun to me than sitting and waiting for the enemy.
Also the patches have helped making it possible to push more.
Anybody has similar experience? Or completly opposite maybe?

Note: I play public 3v3 or 4v4 with randoms almost exclusivly.

the_Monk
Sergeant Major

Re: Evolution of playing style

Postby the_Monk » Wed 10 Apr 2013 20:14

Just don't start blindly rushing......that would not be 'evolution'....hehe

Remember........the early bird may get the worm......but it is always the second mouse that gets the cheese! :mrgreen:

schaefsky
Sergeant Major

Postby schaefsky » Wed 10 Apr 2013 20:31

I always thought the early worm gets the fish?

Anyways, no blind rushing for me. Always a nice mixed tank /recon / AA / Inf group advancing.

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spektre » Wed 10 Apr 2013 20:36

playin aggressive in your own style is the biggest fun,
but more difficult as only defending,
so its natural that you do it when you got better in this game

do you watch replays? if so search for some matches from darricks, delta, enohka, dirty d, komaromi etc
they all have an unique style and use different units then the rest
maybe you get some ideas to be even more aggressive
Last edited by Spektre on Thu 11 Apr 2013 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
WTF?

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Thu 11 Apr 2013 09:40

If you play with randoms it is difficult - but in a team it's nice to have a mix of experts. In our team we have a very aggressive player, one very defense player, one "Sneaky Bastard" (Scout-Expert) and an "Allrounder". Quite a nice mix ;)
But even after hundreds of battles we find things to improve - that's why we still like the game and play daily 8-)

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:05

Forgot one that kicks everyone with level above 50 out of your lobby. :mrgreen:

And of course everyone possesses the skill to "play dead" in the lobby when competent team comes into it. Then when someone on the opposing team gives up and quits everyone suddenly come alive and start the counter when some randomer joins that broken team and of course the most hypocritical "We don't kick people." excuse when that teams asks to kick the randomer so that the guy outside can join back in.

But yes. It is not hard to be an expert against level 10 I give you that much.
Last edited by praslovan on Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:14

praslovan wrote:
[DAY]Topspin2005 wrote:In our team we have a very aggressive player, one very defense player, one "Sneaky Bastard" (Scout-Expert) and an "Allrounder"

Forgot one that kicks everyone with level above 50 out of your lobby. :mrgreen:

And of course everyone possesses the skill to "play dead" in the lobby when competent team comes into it. Then when someone on the opposing team gives up and quits everyone suddenly come alive and start the counter when some randomer joins that broken team and of course the most hypocritical "We don't kick people." excuse when that teams asks to kick the randomer so that the guy outside can join back in.

But yes. It is not hard to be an expert against level 10 I give you that much.

Some DAY we are all welcome...

OT:

Its a thin line between playing skillfully aggressive and doing a brainless charge. In my opinion playing skillfully aggressive with a tank army is one of the hardest things to master in this game.
Last edited by enohka on Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

HiGh-O-
Sergeant First-Class

Postby HiGh-O- » Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:15

[DAY]Topspin2005 wrote:If you play with randoms it is difficult - but in a team it's nice to have a mix of experts. In our team we have a very aggressive player, one very defense player, one "Sneaky Bastard" (Scout-Expert) and an "Allrounder". Quite a nice mix ;)
But even after hundreds of battles we find things to improve - that's why we still like the game and play daily 8-)

Every time I've played against DAY or a member of your squad it's been the "Sneaky Bastard" tactic you've employed... There was one match where I was against Mtp34 on Open Range which still haunts me, it was way too balanced for comfort lol. It would be ***damn nice if you people would just go and defend that empty little corner of the map in the next encounter...! =)

As for my own playstyle evolution, I tend to prefer to take the initiative and use strange unit combinations and force composition. Vetting heavy tanks or going recon crazy are my favourites. Although using perverted amounts of arty and the occasional helo-inf can also put a smile on my face :mrgreen: Playing defensive makes me paranoid. I want to know where the enemy is and where he isn't :)

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:21

I question skill that is displayed against self proclaimed "experts". :|

My play style? I don't play any more unless it is a lol match so it must be quite archaic.
Last edited by praslovan on Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:45, edited 3 times in total.

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Thu 11 Apr 2013 16:22

praslovan wrote:I question PLF skill even more now. :|

+1

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”