Ranked system

Hippopotamus
Corporal

Re: Ranked system

Postby Hippopotamus » Mon 16 Jan 2012 17:19

My idea is simple and effective. You have rank which does not affect anything, and there's no matchmaking. You simply choose a server from the list and play. Cheap, easy and effective. There's no need for anything more complicated than that.

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Mon 16 Jan 2012 18:00

Ragga wrote:handicap isnt the solution... if you haven't played a game with a rank system that goes up and down, i do understand that it would be hard to understand. the only handicap needed is that if a higher rank player playes - because of wait time - a lower rank player, the higher rank player will only gain a few points, while the lower rank player will gain much more with a victory.

I am very aware of how ranking systems usually work, I just don't think they're very fun. If I play a game, I do it because I want to be challenged, not because of the chance of winning. Preferably, every single game I play I should have 50%chance of winning. In a big game like starcraft 2, with large player base on all levels of skill, the "match with someone of similar level" works well and the skill difference can be used to calculate movement on the leaderboards.

In a game with a considerable smaller player base such as this one, the "similar level" might be a quite large differense indeed. It doesn't matter if you get to play a game after 5 seconds of waiting and moves appropriatly on the leaderboards by it, if the player you're matched with is considerably worse than you, it wont be a particulary fun game for either of you.

gottimw
Master Sergeant

Postby gottimw » Mon 16 Jan 2012 18:59

Hippopotamus wrote:My idea is simple and effective. You have rank which does not affect anything, and there's no matchmaking. You simply choose a server from the list and play. Cheap, easy and effective. There's no need for anything more complicated than that.

That is called a pub playing, and that is normal and you can see that in ANY modern multiplayer game. I think you dont quite understand the purpose of ranking and auto matching.
Its there for a players who are looking for a competitive challenge ie someone with their skill level so they can enjoy a game where they will not be squashed by pro nor they will be noob bashing.
This gives them opportunity to improve their game and gradually play better players.

People who dont like that play pub and they choose thier rules it ie: no time, total war, centre of gravity. ANd they will enjoy 2h. long admin spam game (RUSE scenario).

Hope this clarifies why some ppl want nice rank sys.

I hate to admit it, but maybe Alcarin was right all of this time.
I love GREEN font!
_____________.,,_ ______
____________o''___)~ ___
______________'''' ______

Ragga
First Sergeant

Postby Ragga » Wed 18 Jan 2012 22:06

Now that the NDA has been lightened... can we have any insight on the Rank System, MP System, and Automatch System???

D-M

Postby D-M » Wed 18 Jan 2012 22:08

There wasn't any at the time.

Ragga
First Sergeant

Postby Ragga » Wed 18 Jan 2012 22:13

D-M wrote:There wasn't any at the time.

Only Single Player?

D-M

Postby D-M » Wed 18 Jan 2012 22:29

No, no automatch, no rank, you could just join and create games and chat in-game or before game.

sgnl05
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby sgnl05 » Thu 19 Jan 2012 04:24

The problem with using a handicap system as the default mode of balancing is that it doesn't necessarily help poor players improve, but just encourages them to abuse the extra resources that they're given. In the beta it was reasonably common for players to use more or less "standard starts" that they'd discovered worked reasonably well in a wide variety of circumstances and were fairly adaptable. If a player has a huge handicap he might get accustomed to using a standard opening gambit that consists of quite a lot of expensive heavy tanks. And this might work quite well for him until he ranks up a bit and gets a smaller handicap. Then he'll have to use a different opening move that's more balanced and he might discover that he can't actually compete any more.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Thu 19 Jan 2012 12:43

sgnl05 wrote:The problem with using a handicap system as the default mode of balancing is that it doesn't necessarily help poor players improve, but just encourages them to abuse the extra resources that they're given. In the beta it was reasonably common for players to use more or less "standard starts" that they'd discovered worked reasonably well in a wide variety of circumstances and were fairly adaptable. If a player has a huge handicap he might get accustomed to using a standard opening gambit that consists of quite a lot of expensive heavy tanks. And this might work quite well for him until he ranks up a bit and gets a smaller handicap. Then he'll have to use a different opening move that's more balanced and he might discover that he can't actually compete any more.

It depends a bit how it's implemented of course. If you had an screen popping up pre-match allowing you to select from a list of handicaps (+income, +starting resources, +morale, +apache... etc) then it means that while you may have strategies around taking them, you won't take them for granted nearly so much. I also think that, in a good system, they should be fairly rare as really we'd want people to be closely matched on skill most of the time. I would have thought a 25% expected win ratio would be acceptable to have without handicaps myself.

There are all sorts of other problems however. How do you do a rank update on a mixed Elo/handicap system? In other worse, balancing the handicaps and incorperating this into the rank accurately isn't trivial.

Anyway... I think it's an interesting idea. It's the sort of thing I'd certainly be interested in seeing in a game to see how it works, but I'm not really sure how well it'd work in practise.

micz
Master Sergeant

Postby micz » Thu 19 Jan 2012 13:29

Rank system would be nice, but i did not like R.U.S.E. rank system, because it was mainly based on level, which is not an indicator of skill, anyone can get to level 100. I like Starcraft's 2 league system it is much better than R.U.S.E. rank system. I didn't like in RUSE ranked matches that i couldn't play with friends, when I invited my brother to 2v2 ranked match we ended up in opposite teams. It would be nice if matching system would look for other pair of players because it is way to easy to defeat two random players when you are co-operating.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”