HeliSpam Powerz

lexovix
Private First-Class

HeliSpam Powerz

Postby lexovix » Sun 25 Mar 2012 22:04

Well, hit my target of 2000 ELO before level 40 (36) being a heli-spammer for i'd say 80% of those games. Broken game is broken. Last two games that took me over attached - Helispamming of course.

Was rather hoping to lame Tigga with this before posting, but no luck finding him.
So two games against 1830 and 1800 players.

Need to be able to micro to make it ever work, don't just expect your massive blob of heli's to kill everything.
- Needs to be spaced just enough that SAM missle's won't take out more than 1 or 2 per hit, but close enough that your attacking full force asap.
- Need to be selecting sub groups to take out individual AA units while still flying them in the correct general direction of command units.
- Eyes need to be glued to screen constantly zooming in to unidentified shadowed units looking for the command units, any wasted time trying to find it and you're .
- In-Game: 'Profile' - 'Nickname' - Change it every few games, added chance of a player you've already killed off not recognizing you and expecting it.
- You need to have NO self-respect.

If you can do all the above, then yeah it can work, if the person doesn't have full counters waiting. So, don't use it twice against the same person.
On a fun side note however, be amazed at how often after killing someone with it, they will then have full AA waiting for you next game, or at the very least highly increased numbers of AA and playing defensively... Gives you a good opportunity to open with 3 commands and take map control for a second victory.

Basic premises of this is to ask for it to be patched, game of this depth shouldn't be able to be exploited so easily.
Attachments
helirush.zip
(40.22 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Tue 24 Apr 2012 16:59, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Language

SkylineR33FTW
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: HeliSpam Powerz

Postby SkylineR33FTW » Sun 25 Mar 2012 22:09

Congratulations. You must feel amazing. You are obviously the best player ever and have way to many skilzzzz to even list regarding the game. -_-

On a serious note: you are exactly the kind of player that ruins the game for everyone else, please go play CoD and stop ruining this game.

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sun 25 Mar 2012 22:30

I disagree that he's ruining the game. Him bringing it to light and admitting its OP/broken is more or less what he should do.

cyrogeist
Sergeant First-Class

Postby cyrogeist » Sun 25 Mar 2012 22:31

SkylineR33FTW wrote:Congratulations. You must feel amazing. You are obviously the best player ever and have way to many skilzzzz to even list regarding the game. -_-

On a serious note: you are exactly the kind of player that ruins the game for everyone else, please go play CoD and stop ruining this game.

+1
I'm the guy that says the stupid stuff!

To whoever decided that the In-game chatroom was a smart idea: I hate your face

lexovix
Private First-Class

Postby lexovix » Sun 25 Mar 2012 22:44

SkylineR33FTW wrote:Congratulations. You must feel amazing. You are obviously the best player ever and have way to many skilzzzz to even list regarding the game. -_-

- Missed entire point of this thread, hence your point is mute.
- Welcome to come suck me off once this gets patched due to my highlighting of the issue and the game isn't 'ruined' by anyone else in the future.
- I work a 60 hour week, get time for one decent game a night, rest was spent stacking up the ELO rating to enable sufficient credit to be given to the exploit to enable it to be fixed... Please, pray tell how you have been more constructive to the game than this.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Sun 25 Mar 2012 23:35

Posted this on the other thread but thought I'd post it here:

What proportion of wins did you get? I came across a reasonably good ~1800-1850 heli spammer a couple of days ago and it went fairly well for me. I did lose one command vehicle, but had plenty of time to use my reserve points to call in enough AA to completely wipe out the rest before they got close to my other. I must admit I struggle to see how a pure heli spam can work against a player who uses early heli recon and keeps 300+ points in reserve. There's a lot of AA you can buy for 300 points, and the ~300 points of starting AA you should be starting with anyway tends to do a rather good job.

Had a quick look at both replays. Interestingly neither player sent heli recon out at the start. The one on Hammerhead did keep 150 points in reserve (all wasted by not stopping SAM AA), and actually had some AA to start, but what he was doing apart from that I have no clue. On Dual field the most he could bring on was 35 points worth, and he started with a tiny amount of AA. Asking for it. With this in mind I'm not really sure if it's a metagame problem or a problem with heli spamming. My standard start has much more close range AA than these guys (tends to be at least 3 Afghanskiis per command truck, plus SAM which varies with map), I keep much more points in reserve (I go for 300+ on most maps), and I send out helicopter recon to see if I'm being rushed. Now arguably this sets me back a bit if I get ground rushed, but I tend to find that, barring heavy use of VTS1s, I don't struggle with ground rushes.

Anyway, now you think it's broken do you have any ideas to fix it? A helicopter nerf wouldn't be great. Helicopters are pretty borderline in a lot of uses to begin with. They increased SAM splash in one of the patches, which I guess is a good counter to bad helicopter rushes, but as you say it's possible (though tricky) to keep spread. I don't think greater SAM splash is a good idea as you already see pairs being taken out by a single shot often enough.

I suppose one solution to spam of almost all kinds would be to half the unit caps for initial deployment. As soon as you start the game everything is normal, but for initial deployment you only get half units. This would slow down a heli rush (and all other types of spam rushes) significantly as calling on units from the back would take a while, while at the same time it'd have a very minor impact on "normal" or "balanced" play.

the_Monk
Sergeant Major

Postby the_Monk » Sun 25 Mar 2012 23:37

.....ok......I'll bite.

I think with just a bit of insight and a little less condescension you would recognise that the game isn't in fact broken. What is broken is that everyone plays or expects to play each game differently. Just because one can doesn't mean that one has to.

Even your OP suggests same when you talk about changing your name in order to keep fooling the same people otherwise their strategy/counter changes etc. etc.

Just because a person exploits weakness doesn't mean an underlying mechanic is broken. Better micro, coupled by better understanding of the game-mechanics just means you are at best a good player and at worst exploiting the weaknesses of others in order to continue climbing a ladder.

This would be like saying if someone found out the police response time is 12 minutes (when called to a crime in your area) and then practices their plan (practices their micro) until they can perform a crime against you in less than 12 minutes (ie. avoid getting caught in the act) that the cause of the crime is the police force.

Nothing else to see here......

Kovlovsky
Captain

Postby Kovlovsky » Mon 26 Mar 2012 00:01

There is nothing new here. Your two adversaries didn't scout well and didn't kept a sufficient reserve to call AA reinforcement. Morover, the first guy lost his Buk M1 in total waste. He didn't make it stop and was destroy by rockets.
Courtesy of Graphic

Toot
Warrant Officer

Postby Toot » Mon 26 Mar 2012 00:27

OP is my hero.

bentguru
Warrant Officer

Postby bentguru » Mon 26 Mar 2012 00:36

Post a whole bunch of replays, not just two. You can't analyze a game with just two games.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”