European Escalation still the best title in the series

McMacky
Master Sergeant

Re: European Escalation still the best title in the series

Postby McMacky » Mon 26 Jan 2015 22:12

Not when ATGMs hit as hard as they do in EE.

Lonfield
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Lonfield » Mon 26 Jan 2015 23:45

Smoke is not needed, you can deploy 12 malkas to remove those ATGM :D hahah, now serious, those atgm where really easy to counter, and in EE the units you use to assault are cheaper than the atgm
Bans Bans Bans and Lock Lock Lock!!
Screaming for a better game since 2012

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Wed 25 Feb 2015 17:43

kiheer can't appreciate EE because he's a scrub that loves planes
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Wed 25 Feb 2015 17:50

A personal attack, Trotsky? Seriously?

Besides, everyone's got their own opinion.

Me, for example, I like EE much more than RD, however in EE there isn't much to mod, so I just end up sticking with RD.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 26 Feb 2015 08:09

trotskygrad wrote:kiheer can't appreciate EE because he's a scrub that loves planes
That was a reaaaaaaally late comment. :?

And I don't think EE is bad, as I do have many good memories from it (the moment I started up the first campaign mission being one of my personal favorites) but people should remember that a lot was improved (and messed up) from game to game.

MDKrinkles
Master Sergeant

Postby MDKrinkles » Wed 4 Mar 2015 16:38

To me the main thing that separates EE from the other games is usefulness. Airplanes and napalm rendered infantry useless in many maps in ALB. Naval rendered coasts useless in many maps in RD. Tactically chosen groups of units became useless once bombing raids became an option. In EE most units were useful and had their specialty. Infantry was good for creating waypoints with cities or villages (infantry could also be moved from one village to the next via reusable transport). If you placed AA, AT, and Riflemen in a group you could be sure that they would not be defenseless. Tanks were good for charging short distances (often times tanks needed to be paired with cargo trucks, AA, and AT). It was necessary to make sure you had units for every scenario. If a high grade helo (Mi24) comes in and you don't have AA of course you're going to lose a lot of units. Being prepared was a lot more necessary in EE and I really liked that. In the more recent games a lot of units have been rendered useless by the addition of new ones (I'm not saying I don't like the addition of airplanes and naval, but they thoroughly ruined the balance of WG).
Cult of BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT
www.youtube.com/watch?v=33teK7L4DM4

MDKrinkles
Master Sergeant

Postby MDKrinkles » Wed 4 Mar 2015 16:46

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I personally don't like EE all that much for many reasons:
    -No reverse button (I played EE again and man, is it a pain without it).
    -I don't know about you but I think ATGMs did nothing but miss in EE unless they were high vet or a TOW or something.
    -Unlocking system (and don't tell me it's to teach new players, the campaign will never be like multiplayer, the closest I've seen AI get to real people is Very Hard AI playing Conquest).
    -To be honest, I prefer the newer textures (partially because I own EE on an inferior Macbook while ALB and RD are both on my gaming PC where I can run max graphics).
    -Arty still wasn't tweaked (the arty party was sort of fixed in RD, I think it's the best version of arty yet).
    -Piss poor unit selection (essentially Mixed everything, you know how it goes).
    -Tanks seemed to just Ctrl+Alt+Del infantry in woods so easily.
    -A mixed one here, but the AI's smaller auto cover function (it seems to have been buffed in ALB and up and can be a real pain).
    -Color scheme, frankly it's just too drab.
    -Horrible city system (honestly, I shouldn't have to fuss over micro of every infantry unit in combat).
    -Grenades.
    -Absolutely horrid armory viewing system.
    -Empty APCs and IFVs in the vehicle tab.
    -Unit death list is in the bottom left where I can't see it when busy.
    -Armor system.
    -Several others I can't think of off the top of my head.
    -The Mac version is just horrendously broken (at least for me, I got a new Macbook so that may be it).

I agree with you on some things. The armory interface in the newer games is a VAST improvement over EE. The unlock system is a pain and sometimes keeps me from playing as freely and as often as the more recent games that just throw you in. The unit selection was somewhat limited but thats to be expected from an older title in this series. I actually liked the empty transports because it allowed people to pick up infantry and move them to a new location. To be fair the tanks did seem a tad powerful at times (the T80s and M1 Abrams were gods). To me the main two things are the unlock system and the armory. The armory in EE is just awful and the unlock system is just a pain after a while (I just don't want to have to clear the entire campaign and do a bunch of side objectives to use the units I want).
Cult of BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

MDKrinkles
Master Sergeant

Postby MDKrinkles » Wed 4 Mar 2015 16:51

Numbers wrote:Despite the fact that EE remains my favorite of all three games, I enjoy RD and ALB quite a lot as well. They just offer a different sort of enjoyment.

I'll play EE if I want to have tank battles and mechanized pushes that aren't over in 5 seconds because of ATGM jet trains.

I'll play RD if I want to have giant spam battles, non-stop action, and pretty explosions everywhere.

If Eugen were to re-release EE, but with a few of the features of the later games like a reserve-move order and smokescreens, I'd love it forever, cash-grab or not.

I fully agree. I love EE but that doesn't take away from the fact that I also love ALB and RD. All 3 games just give me very different enjoyment. I'll play RD if I want pretty explosions and water, I'll play ALB if I want TOTAL AMERICAN AIR SUPERIORITY FOR DAYS, and I'll play EE if I want a good, thoughtful, tactical, T80U worshipping, strategy game.
Cult of BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Wed 4 Mar 2015 17:05

EE had the prettiest explosions actually.

MDKrinkles
Master Sergeant

Postby MDKrinkles » Wed 4 Mar 2015 17:18

Crotou wrote:EE had the prettiest explosions actually.

The B5 and Su7BKL disagree.
Cult of BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT