Cannot do anything without someone complaining about it

Black&White
Corporal

Re: Cannot do anything without someone complaining about it

Postby Black&White » Fri 13 Apr 2012 18:32

I mostly agree with OP.

Like I wrote in another "spam"-thread, with my modest experience with this game, I've found that sadly often the higher a player stands in level the more likely is he to exploit the weaknesses in game mechanics & resort to spamming tactics. Even though, reading these forums, one would instantly think that it's the lower level "noobs" that are the worst group exploiting and raping the game, really, they're not. The higher level players are also much more prone to go nuts if they believe someone has spammed against them (even though they don't hesitate to go that way themselves too) or played otherwise unfairly, even if this wasn't the case.

That IMO tells us that many of the higher level players are dead serious about this game, not playing so much for entertainment as for victory. If and quite often when this is the attitude (i.e. level 65 guy is readily willing to spam the battlefield full up to rushing cheap apc+inf, T55, Uaz-rr + cheap AA combos so commonly seen, while meanwhile accusing his enemy of doing the same) it's also quite easy to understand why they run totally nuts if beaten. If entertaining good game isn't a value in itself at all, it's just waiting the inevitable to happen - that is verbal insults, accusations etc.

I honestly think it's quite sad, since us "the old players" should really give our younger brothers some good example, behave correctly and act in a way that would encourage them to continue with this fine (if somewhat still unfinished) game. Maybe even help them out a bit and teach a trick or two.

It's a shame on community that, like OP viewed, the finest games can't be found amoung the more experienced group of people.

Mukip
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mukip » Fri 13 Apr 2012 19:30

This is one reason why I have not entered a multiplayer game yet. I assume I will instantly be scolded for not knowing the ins and outs of the game as they do if I even get a chance after they see I'm level one.

Play 1v1's! People tend to shy away from ranked games because they think it's too competitive for noobs, but you can basically play about experimenting against a real player without any pressure from teammates if you do badly, so it's a great way to ease into multiplayer. Just accept you'll probably lose your first half dozen games and play without stress.

AGTMADCAT
Corporal

Postby AGTMADCAT » Fri 13 Apr 2012 20:22

First off, if you're low-level and looking for friendly teammates, look out for me and thecaptain - we're more than willing to help teach you what to do, as long as you're willing to listen, and not start off by spamming CVs, a bizarre thing I've seen several lvl 1 players do. Honestly I don't even know why they do it, it's totally mad!

More to the point - do you know what would be nice? If responsible members of the community were given the ability to rate opponents for sportsmanship. I'd say that everyone should be able to vote, but then these same ragequitters would be downvoting everyone who beat them, and there'd be too much noise in the system. :roll: If several dozen players were qualified as being "pretty cool dudes", or whatever the devs want to label it, they could upvote other responsible people to grow their numbers. It'd take a bit of coding to add it on, but if it were possible to set up games where you need to have a positive sportsmanship number (With -5 to 5 being considered neutral, to stop people from getting one downvote and being forever in purgatory), we'd be able to increase the game quality for the large number of players who want to play quality games with respectful opponents.

Anyone else think this is something I should flush out more fully, and throw into the suggestion thread?

-AGT

TrooperCooper
Sergeant

Postby TrooperCooper » Fri 13 Apr 2012 20:32

umiman wrote:Cannot do anything without someone complaining about it

Welcome to life. :mrgreen:

TheWord
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby TheWord » Fri 13 Apr 2012 20:38

It's hilarious to be called a noob in a game where I went 2.2k kills to 0.8k losses.

I'm more than happy to talk about units and strats if people actually want to talk, but most of the time it's either a rage quit or they start telling me to play the game properly and stop being such a noob.

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Fri 13 Apr 2012 20:39

OP

Well, that's perfetly normal. Just tell them to...(censored as Opus might have to swing the acronym-hammer)...and go on.

buczer
Warrant Officer

Postby buczer » Fri 13 Apr 2012 20:49

Space wrote:Level does mean something, so don't join games that are not at your level. I rage at retards teammates in a good proportion of the games I play. First I give them advice (eg 'You need some recon' or ' Do not go all helis') then when they inevitably ignore this, I give them the flaming that they deserve. Quite often they respond with 'its only a game' which is obviously true, but it's also a team game if you join a multiplayer game so you should have some respect for your teammembers and not ruin the game for both teams.

This does not mean that I flame team mates who simply get destroyed or makes a mistake - stuff happens and sometimes you can be unlucky enough to be hit by 3 players for example. But playing without any common sense whatsoever and ignoring advice, full deserves the abuse it receives.

Sorry, but if you play with random teammates, than its all what your asking for. Flaming anybody becouse of his play means you have a very serious anger isues. Bad play of your team mate is not an excuse. I was facepalming when one of my teammates gone all helis, get raped by missiles and than just... quit, but I dont see any reason to go nerdrage becouse of it. It wont fix anything.

Just avoid him next time or, if you are host, remove him from team if he will dare to enter your game.

Black&White
Corporal

Postby Black&White » Fri 13 Apr 2012 21:26

AGTMADCAT wrote:First off, if you're low-level and looking for friendly teammates, look out for me and thecaptain - we're more than willing to help teach you what to do, as long as you're willing to listen, and not start off by spamming CVs, a bizarre thing I've seen several lvl 1 players do. Honestly I don't even know why they do it, it's totally mad!

More to the point - do you know what would be nice? If responsible members of the community were given the ability to rate opponents for sportsmanship. I'd say that everyone should be able to vote, but then these same ragequitters would be downvoting everyone who beat them, and there'd be too much noise in the system. :roll: If several dozen players were qualified as being "pretty cool dudes", or whatever the devs want to label it, they could upvote other responsible people to grow their numbers. It'd take a bit of coding to add it on, but if it were possible to set up games where you need to have a positive sportsmanship number (With -5 to 5 being considered neutral, to stop people from getting one downvote and being forever in purgatory), we'd be able to increase the game quality for the large number of players who want to play quality games with respectful opponents.

Anyone else think this is something I should flush out more fully, and throw into the suggestion thread?

-AGT

Would love to see something like that! But like you said, I don't know though how to suppress the "protest votes" of sour beaten guys...

The thing is, it's great to have friends to play the game with when you can be assured the game is fair and good. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to play random games as well, and actually do that very much. It's like playing poker with your regular friday night buddies is nice, but you'd still enjoy as much occasional visit to public tables.

Like others have said it before, compared to many other games the people playing W-EE seem to qualify quite high in what comes to sportsmanship, so it's not all that bad. Could be still better though, and some kind of "sportsmanship pool" is a great idea that would encourage people to think more about their play from a wholly different kind of perspective.

umiman
Private

Postby umiman » Fri 13 Apr 2012 21:38

I wonder if this could also be helped by providing more stats at the end of the game. Things like:
- cost spent on units
- total number of units fielded
- number of support / tanks / infantry / command / etc.
- cost spent on veterancy

Put them up side-by-side at the end of the match so people can see it instantly. Maybe it'll discourage people from spamming only one unit and being completely convinced that their strategy has merit. Or it could convince people that you're not spamming only one unit yourself... Or that you were cheating... Or the fact that 4 tanks cannot beat 50... etc.

plescure
Corporal

Postby plescure » Fri 13 Apr 2012 22:46

umiman wrote:I love this game. I consider it the best RTS I've ever played. But the community is really starting to drive me nuts. And it's not newbies either, but rather all the "veterans" at level 60, 70, 80, etc. who complain about EVERYTHING in game that I do.

Why? Do these people play so much that when someone doesn't adhere to their specific unspoken rules their balls break and they go into a huge tirade about how I'm a noob or a failure or a candidate for abortion. And no, I don't even get flamed when I'm doing badly. It's when I win that the endless flaming begins.

Just today I have been flamed (again, only when I'm winning) for.:
1. Attacking my enemy when I'm obviously "supposed to defend".
2. Buying artillery to kill my enemy's artillery because " you scared to attack me so you need to use artillery you ."
3. Using Marder VTS1s.
4. Using infantry. "get some skill noob. rushers can't play for "
5. Using MLRS. "read the patchnotes noob. Most useless unit in the game and you use them against me go play your stupid COD"
6. Playing on the new maps. "you only won cause you chose this map and got 4000 extra points"

I can go on, but I think you get the idea. And no, I'm not even making these up; I wouldn't even have imagined these were "noobtactics" but apparently they are.

Makes me want to only play with low level newbies. Because there in every game I get a nice "gg" at the end instead of a lecture on why my mom is a giant or why I need to grow hair on my .

tl;dr: Can we get a reporting feature, a way to put notes on enemy players for others to see ("This player loves to complain"), or the ability to mute players?

i hear you dude. i have the same issues. whatever you do, you get someone moaning at you. im called an infantry spammer whenever i attack with inf, then a heli spammer when i back them up. im then an arty noob if i dare to buy arty!! ieven got called a "noob lagger" when i was having trouble with my connection. in all fairness not all games. there are some people out there who know the art of sportmanship, but in a lot of cases when ever i win a game a get a torrent of abuse in return. its quite disheartening. it is quite an aggressive community