Does any one feel that Free DLCs are a good idea? Or not...

Dkong08
Sergeant

Does any one feel that Free DLCs are a good idea? Or not...

Postby Dkong08 » Sat 14 Apr 2012 22:39

Frankly, I think the producers of WGEUexcalation made a wise choice to make this DLC free. In my opinion, charging for DLC's ruins the multiplayer experience because it produces conflict joining games. Case in point is the Men of War series which has a jaded following due them charging for DLC's and relentlessly producing them.

However, I do have some concerns with this idea as well. Despite my liking for their free release, I worry how the producers of the game will fund it thus keeping the Wargame community alive. Without money, they will eventually succumb to production costs and not keep the game relevant, causing the community to wither and die (and example of which is the World in Conflict series which claimed it would forever support its community without any subscription). My thoughts lead me to ponder what the producers of the game should do for the future of its community.

What are your thoughts? Should we as players/community of the game do something to keep the game alive? Or should we allow nature to take its course? Discuss!

Senseo1990
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Does any one feel that Free DLCs are a good idea? Or not

Postby Senseo1990 » Sat 14 Apr 2012 22:44

They should continue producing DLCs and charge money for it. Its a company and they have to make money somehow, they cant develop several free DLCs.

Just produce DLCs that dont split the community ;) Problem solved

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4804

Pixelchaser
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Pixelchaser » Sat 14 Apr 2012 23:01

it all depends on the initial design remit of the game. Ruse had ubisoft involvment. W:ee does not!

fracturing a community is sometimes a tactical decision made by the publishers/developers depending on various things. we should really let Eugen go about there business in whatever way they see fit and atleast try not push somthing they are against for whatever reason. They have stated there will be no DLC. i honestly think we should leave it at that and not confuse our expectations.

These expectations are no fault of Eugen`s or Focus. The updates and or new content you seek will more likely come in the form of a new game entirely. and that really is a much better option. more scope for a start.

Whilst everything gets regular DLC these days if you notice not many strategy games ever get DLC that fractures communities ! important point that is. skins and content along the lines of standalone content usually (which does not fracture usually)and where payware updates do occur, its usually in the form of substancial updated which i wouldnt class as DLC. i think the most appropriate update for WEE could be done like WIC was. which is not DLC really.

Nou
First Sergeant

Postby Nou » Sat 14 Apr 2012 23:08

I'll say it again, release mod tools, release specs on the matching and game protocols. The best way a company can make sure they keep getting people to buy the game, even way into the future is the mod communities that spring up around them.

Too bad its not feasible to do what BIS did with the Arma DLCs where they released light version for free with reduced texture quality on all the content, but allowed the community to still be inter-operable.

ace40k
Sergeant Major

Postby ace40k » Sat 14 Apr 2012 23:38

imo, new units/abilities/specials wrapped in a dlc with a price tag is a bad idea because it will further split the already small community. also, people who buy the dlc containing potential new units might be at an advantage compared to people who just own the core game

however, i for one would like to see new maps (especially with different theme, like city, snow or wasteland) in a dlc. there should still be enough lobby games playing the old maps and those who'd like to taste the new maps can buy the dlc. no real community splitting imo
"Where do you need a flying tank?" - SuperHind

Senseo1990
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Senseo1990 » Sat 14 Apr 2012 23:41

ace40k wrote:imo, new units/abilities/specials wrapped in a dlc with a price tag is a bad idea because it will further split the already small community. also, people who buy the dlc containing potential new units might be at an advantage compared to people who just own the core game

however, i for one would like to see new maps (especially with different theme, like city, snow or wasteland) in a dlc. there should still be enough lobby games playing the old maps and those who'd like to taste the new maps can buy the dlc. no real community splitting imo

New units wouldnt split the community and dont necessarily make the player who bought the dlc overpowered or unbeatable ;)
New content is good, noone can deny that. And new content cant always be free. Noone buys a game just for its mods, mods split the community, not dlcs ;)

danuuker
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby danuuker » Sun 15 Apr 2012 02:06

Proper expansion packs please, then 90% of the community can just move on together instead of having a fragmenting the population further. Heck, even Blizzard is doing it for Starcraft 2, with each one a full retail game now. :?

That said, cosmetic things (skins, different voice overs, UI overlays) or single player stuff (new single player campaigns/etc..) are fine for DLC. I'm not even sure paid DLC maps are a good idea.

Elukka
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Elukka » Sun 15 Apr 2012 02:26

Full expansion packs would be great, but I'd rather not have DLC with a price tag. Expansions wouldn't split the community so bad as there'd be maybe one ever, all active players would buy it and it could be bundled with the original for new players. Compatibility between the original game and any potential expansion wouldn't hurt, of course.

In a good expansion pack, you're typically paying 20-30 euros for maybe half a game's worth of content. (though sometimes it's pretty much another game's worth of stuff!) So, you're paying roughly half the price for half a game. DLC tends to be more like paying 1/10 of the price of a game for 1/100 of a game.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Sun 15 Apr 2012 06:09

I've a feeling the free DLC we got wasn't a monumental effort, and was released mainly to coincide with the sale to get extra sales so it could be said there was "extra". Cynical and maybe a little unfair, but there's certainly some truth to it! While there are technically seven new maps, only three of them use original terrain. Three more use campaign maps, and the final one is rebranded Hamburger Hill. I have no problem with this myself as every map is new to mulitplayer, and the Hamburger Hill rebrand is a siege map.

There's plenty of scope for getting extra money out of the brand. Wargame: Modern Warfare and Wargame: Western Front (ie. WW2) spring to mind. Both could play pretty much the same, but have a different unit set and a few different gameplay mechanics.

As for paid-for DLC... I think Eugen said they wouldn't be doing this, but I don't have a source to hand. I doubt reskinned units would be bought by many as I don't think there are that many people who spend enough time zoomed in on their units to value this. New map content wouldn't really work (it didn't in RUSE anyway) as take-up is likely to be low. New unit content would sell, though you get a rather annoyed community if you make the units more powerful than "default" units. I wouldn't mind seeing a few though from the un-represented NATO countries for example. Maybe not enough to make a full national deck, but a few choice ones for paid DLC would sell, and I'd have no problem with this so long as they were balanced. I wonder if single player DLC ever sells? I always get the impression that single player is a little more trouble than it's worth for RTS games these days.

And as for a "proper" expansion pack... I'm not really sure how they'd do that. New factions wouldn't really work within the scope of the game as a full retail product. Maps the same. You really need something fairly significant. I suppose CoH got away with Tales of Valour which was added very little, so I guess there might be some scope. To be honest though I see Eugen going for a much more "Total War" strategy if they want to build a franchise, with new games covering different eras/conflicts with roughly the same game mechanics shared.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Postby Destraex » Sun 15 Apr 2012 07:01

I think DLC should be for fixes and minor additions such as maps and the odd unit.
Expansions should be paid and major releases.

Having said this I do not mind paying for DLC if it is more than just game "fixes" such as multiuplayer AI which this essentially was..

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”