Not enough infantry

M551OP
Staff Sergeant

Not enough infantry

Postby M551OP » Mon 16 Apr 2012 13:09

Currently all my decks have 150-200 tanks and 60-100 infantry units. It's impossible to build a deck that doesn't have this ratio. In other words, in every single battle we command an armoured regiment/division and are prevented from playing an infantry regiment/division. You cannot play a mostly infantry deck in this game and I am disappointed. There are two solutions to this problem, one easy and likely to happen, the other harder and requires significant changes to the game.

Firstly, the availability of infantry could simply be increased.

Secondly, and something I would like to see, the infantry and tank deck spaces could be merged with a limit of 10 units. That means you could very the ratio of tanks to infantry from 5:5 to 3:7 or whatever you wanted. I would also like us to be able to use multiple iterations of the same unit. Want 40 chasseurs famas? Fine, but it takes up twice as many deck spaces as another unit.

REDDQ
General

Re: Not enough infantry

Postby REDDQ » Mon 16 Apr 2012 13:21

There was a reason why number of available squads was decreased... every tour through any forest was a death wish.

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Mon 16 Apr 2012 13:24

It's still the case for PACT.

And actually it is still the case, really. Anything not infantry isn't supposed to go in forests.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

REDDQ
General

Postby REDDQ » Mon 16 Apr 2012 13:38

I know... Pact has so little infantry units... there was serious overdue in cutting here... :|

M551OP
Staff Sergeant

Postby M551OP » Mon 16 Apr 2012 16:18

REDDQ wrote:There was a reason why number of available squads was decreased... every tour through any forest was a death wish.

As it's supposed to be. I want it to be that way, it's realistically how infantry would be used.

Demonic Spoon
First Sergeant

Postby Demonic Spoon » Mon 16 Apr 2012 16:30

I'm not really sure how you're running out of infantry unless you're spamming them out the ass -and- getting them killed quickly..You can call in 40 Motostrelki or something.

I suppose it depends on the type of infantry you're using. Some have less - I know the cheapo Polish infantry only have 24.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Mon 16 Apr 2012 17:17

Demonic Spoon wrote:I'm not really sure how you're running out of infantry unless you're spamming them out the ass -and- getting them killed quickly..You can call in 40 Motostrelki or something.

I suppose it depends on the type of infantry you're using. Some have less - I know the cheapo Polish infantry only have 24.

Besides the Motostrelki, the other PACT infantry is around 24, including the other rifle squads. Makes it pretty difficult to build a national-flavored deck, on top of the issue of lacking good mid and top-end tanks for Poland and Czechoslovakia.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

REDDQ
General

Postby REDDQ » Mon 16 Apr 2012 17:43

Xeno426 wrote:Besides the Motostrelki, the other PACT infantry is around 24, including the other rifle squads. Makes it pretty difficult to build a national-flavored deck, on top of the issue of lacking good mid and top-end tanks for Poland and Czechoslovakia.

Low-end tanks too... T34/85 is difficult to call good in 1980s, especially when you have T55 with the same price...
They could at least give Poland T55AM MERIDA in game... but that's how things were in Eastern Block, standardization! :mrgreen:

Anyway, Soviet Motostrelci are numerous but weak so not many use them... mostly Vysadkari, Czech Motostrelki and some German fellows + specialized infantry.

Demonic Spoon
First Sergeant

Postby Demonic Spoon » Mon 16 Apr 2012 17:56

Pretty sure the game was not designed and balanced with national decks in mind.

Reaper Two
Private

Postby Reaper Two » Mon 16 Apr 2012 18:15

I run an Infantry Deck/IFV deck primarily and it works fantastically. Most maps.

Infantry is just fine. My only complaint is that I can't dig in.

Infantry need a function where they can't fire back [or something] for like a minute and a half while they dig a foxhole. Something to that effect. Foxhole gives them a bit of armor perhaps?

With the right balance of Paratroopers, Chasseurs and Milans, with a pair of stinger teams I can hold off multiple players and secure a flank on my own. The only time I really have issues is when I run out of reinforcements for my milans. That always seems to happen.

Cheap IFVs like the AMX-10p [autocannon IFV] in combo with the AMX 90 [tank killer] support my infantry for the most part [a heavy tank killer is sitting around somewhere], countering other infantry and any sort of light vehicles that get tossed my way. Milans take care of heavy tanks. My real bane is heavy arty spam. I use the AMX30s and mortar carriers to try and counter battery, but I'm starting to think I might want to invest in some paladins for CB support.

When run with a group that knows what they're doing, infantry decks are VERY powerful. You can secure entire sides of the map on your own, just requires micromanagement and not trying to go toe to toe with the enemy all the time. Gotta know when to fall back into the forest. Jeeps become your best friend [hit and run].

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”