What would make ATGMs *feel* more accurate...

Frostiken
Sergeant

What would make ATGMs *feel* more accurate...

Postby Frostiken » Fri 20 Apr 2012 14:27

It's really, really obnoxious when you tell some ATGM units to attack some tanks, and they all fire their missiles at the same tank. The first one hits and destroys it, and the rest of the missiles are thrown away. Why? One of the nice things about SACLOS / MCLOS is you can aim it at a different target in-flight. If your tank blows up, aim at the one next to it!

I think this would really help ATGMs feel more accurate while not actually BEING more accurate, as you'd be able to volly-fire without knowing you're flushing away missiles on every kill because they all want to shoot the same god damn tank every time... right now I have to split my ATGM units and micromanage the hell out of their firing orders because with only 4 or 5 missiles that cost as much as they do to resupply, I simply can't afford to have the morons firing the missiles to all decide to attack the tank on the far left.

ake
Corporal

Re: What would make ATGMs *feel* more accurate...

Postby ake » Fri 20 Apr 2012 14:56

+1

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Fri 20 Apr 2012 15:16

+1

Totally agree.

Tired
First Sergeant

Postby Tired » Fri 20 Apr 2012 15:33

+1

Grotsky
Private First-Class

Postby Grotsky » Fri 20 Apr 2012 15:35

+1, This would really be awesome.

gottimw
Master Sergeant

Postby gottimw » Fri 20 Apr 2012 15:35

No even though you are right about it being not logical, but thats one of few reasons why you would want to keep tanks in group.

Grouped tanks already suffer from number of issues, like easiness to get side hit, or higher loses if you get stun by arty (one target easier to hit) so i would want that mechanic left untouched for sake of balance than realism.

I hate to admit it, but maybe Alcarin was right all of this time.
I love GREEN font!
_____________.,,_ ______
____________o''___)~ ___
______________'''' ______

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 20 Apr 2012 15:44

gottimw wrote:No even though you are right about it being not logical, but thats one of few reasons why you would want to keep tanks in group.

Grouped tanks already suffer from number of issues, like easiness to get side hit, or higher loses if you get stun by arty (one target easier to hit) so i would want that mechanic left untouched for sake of balance than realism.

It's for the sake of balance this was suggested, since as it stands now most ATGMs perform so poorly you could leave most of them out of your deck and save yourself resupply points.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

gottimw
Master Sergeant

Postby gottimw » Fri 20 Apr 2012 15:47

Xeno426 wrote:
gottimw wrote:No even though you are right about it being not logical, but thats one of few reasons why you would want to keep tanks in group.

It's for the sake of balance this was suggested, since as it stands now most ATGMs perform so poorly you could leave most of them out of your deck and save yourself resupply points.

ATGM weak? Now tell me how zippos are weak agains infantry.

I hate to admit it, but maybe Alcarin was right all of this time.
I love GREEN font!
_____________.,,_ ______
____________o''___)~ ___
______________'''' ______

DiabloTigerSix
Colonel

Postby DiabloTigerSix » Fri 20 Apr 2012 16:18

But wouldn't this make them overly effective?

Frostiken
Sergeant

Postby Frostiken » Fri 20 Apr 2012 16:20

You can't describe ATGMs as being effective without a great big honking asterisk.

90% of the ATGM units are nothing but liabilities.

Tanks of all sorts can find a use somewhere in the game. ATGMs are split into either 'before 1985' where it's the Fagot, Konkurs, Swingfire, Shillelagh, etc. and are about as accurate as thrown shoes and about as threatening, or 'after 1985' where it's the I-TOW, Hellfire, etc. and thus ridiculously accurate.

The difference is that the latter ones exist on the other side of a huge, very obvious line. You can see yourself in the ATGM tech they go from 4, 5, maybe 6 accuracy and suddenly jump to 9, 10, 12. Everything on the lower side is useless and is a massive waste of supply points. Everything on the other side isn't.

I don't expect miracles out of my older model ATGMs, but it's frustrating as hell when my infantry have only 4 Milans and even with elite veterancy they still only have a 55% chance of hitting, and they end up wasting half their missiles shooting at tanks that someone else is shooting at too.

DiabloTigerSix wrote:But wouldn't this make them overly effective?
I'd rather deal with potential balance problems than want to punch a hole in my own face every time I see my M60s firing ATGMs willy-nilly and they all spiral off into oblivion and then - surprise - they're totally out of ammo in 5 seconds flat because they can't be trusted to use them intelligently.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incidentally, it'd be nice to see tech restrictions come into play at some point, so you can't rely on your bleeding-edge computer-controlled smart turrets anymore.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”