I need more targeting options

derpcannon BG
Sergeant Major

I need more targeting options

Postby derpcannon BG » Tue 24 Apr 2012 16:12

It gets so annoying when a tank starts to shoot on the move when not ordered to which makes me lose firefights often due to very poor accuracy and flank exposing. This game really needs a "shoot on the move" and "shoot while stationary " option. Also when the enemy spams large amounts of cheap units but puts high end vehicles with them it gets really hard to constantly designate a T-80U in order for my tanks not to shoot at the cheap vehicles which leads to my force's demise. Why cant there be also "target tank", "target AT vehicles", "target APCs" and "target infantry" type commands?

Pixelchaser
Sergeant First-Class

Re: I need more targeting options

Postby Pixelchaser » Tue 24 Apr 2012 16:26

a stance option could be nice too. fire only if fired upon etc, however managing units in these situations is part of the game. as it is a hands on combat game and not a game where the A.I takes presidence in any situation more than general defence as there is as much commanding to be done in order to "not" target something which is how a system can get to targeting somthing via extra rules. hope that makes some sense lol.

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Tue 24 Apr 2012 16:35

I like this idea in theory but in practice it would be a nightmare with only one setting per vehicle. You would almost need a global targeting hierarchy to prioritize targets for all units. If it was done individually, the level of micro would jump tenfold and even more frustrations would ensue ie. my tank set to "target AT" ignored the SAM launcher 500m away and shelled some crappy AT INF 2km away?

I'd like to see unit categories have setting that you can adjust pre-game.
- max firing ranges for SAMs and ATGM
- target prioritization

Any how...agree that more would be nice...just not sure what that would be...

REDDQ
General

Postby REDDQ » Tue 24 Apr 2012 16:57

Tough job with that indeed... I would like have auto-aiming at supply vehicles first :D

Firestarter
Lieutenant

Postby Firestarter » Tue 24 Apr 2012 18:31

Some sort of rules of engagement would help this very much, like return fire or something like that. It would be much easier to make sneaky inf ambushes :D

SkylineR33FTW
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby SkylineR33FTW » Tue 24 Apr 2012 18:40

Also this may not be a popular opinion, i disagree that "AI help with targeting" which is basically what it is, should be added. Manually picking out the best targets (i.e Taking out the AA with an attack so you can bring in your Apache to clear up) is one of the skills that higher skilled players will put into place to get a advantage over players who do not do this, so many games you see people not targeting my main tanks, but targeting my weaker frontline force because the tanks auto target the closest thing.

This is seen a lot more than you would think, and a decent player will manually pick targets of higher priority to take down (i.e challengers over 15 point weisels) so i see this as something the better players will learn and then do, you may say "but it will help the worse players get better" I personally don't see this as being needed, they will put up extra "tactics" like these the more of the game that they play, so we shouldn't give them "free AI controlled advanced tactics" Because you have to distinguish the better players out somewhere, and this is one of the ways of doing so.

Also, the "Hold fire until command" suggestion, you can do this manually also, by easily turning weapon sets off til you need it, and as above i think that better players use this more than the people who do not realise as such, so again, it is one of the things that separates the better and the worse players out.

derpcannon BG
Sergeant Major

Postby derpcannon BG » Tue 24 Apr 2012 19:16

derpcannon BG wrote:It gets so annoying when a tank starts to shoot on the move when not ordered to which makes me lose firefights often due to very poor accuracy and flank exposing. This game really needs a "shoot on the move" and "shoot while stationary " option.

SkylineR33FTW
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby SkylineR33FTW » Tue 24 Apr 2012 19:22

derpcannon BG wrote:
derpcannon BG wrote:It gets so annoying when a tank starts to shoot on the move when not ordered to which makes me lose firefights often due to very poor accuracy and flank exposing. This game really needs a "shoot on the move" and "shoot while stationary " option.

"shoot on the move" - Right click an area

"shoot while stationary " - press "Q" and the tank will stop when it sees and enemy, engage, then carry on

bluntobj
Staff Sergeant

Postby bluntobj » Tue 24 Apr 2012 20:23

I imagine coding "smart" rules would be a Sisyphean task. No one would be satisfied.

However, some dumb ROE would be very helpful:

Tank Target Preference = Recon > Vehicle AA > Tanks > ATGM > Inf OR Default

You could have a little string like this with a dropdown on each section to choose how you wanted ROE to work. Since everything takes time to target, you have time for the AI to choose what to target.

I suppose you could have a loss tolerance option that would move the vehicle backward while firing if they are being rushed, or some such, but that might be a little easymode.

You could also have a "focus fire" preference, or "shoot individual" preference (especially with ATGM).

Basic Dumb ROE would be a definite improvement.

ace40k
Sergeant Major

Postby ace40k » Tue 24 Apr 2012 21:03

'prioritize heavy tanks'
'prioritize cavalry tanks'
'prioritize supply units'
'prioritize aa units'
'prioritize rifle infantry'
'prioritize atgm infantry'
'prioritize command units'
'prioritize tank destroyers'
'prioritize apcs'
'prioritize ifvs'
'prioritize ....'

how bout removing micro management altogether? if you want to attack something, just click on the unit name instead of the unit itself. much easier
"Where do you need a flying tank?" - SuperHind

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”