European Escalation

Lord Helmchen
Major-General

European Escalation

Postby Lord Helmchen » Fri 20 Mar 2015 01:32

Nono, it's not about Russia or Eastern Europe but about the first Wargame title.

Just played it recently and I have to say one thing.
Wow. The game was awesome. ATGM without training hit 1/3 times but it is really awesome.
I don't know but somehow the environment looks way more realistic. Also I somehow liked the atmosphere, that was true Cold War. It's IMO way better than RD concerning the Cold War atmosphere.
And man, the campaigns. I simply fall in love with them every time.
It lacks planes but that's quite okayish.

What do you think? Do you still play it? Anyone up for a match? Would you like a "Wargame:European Escalation II?

D-M

Re: European Escalation

Postby D-M » Fri 20 Mar 2015 01:51

My best memories of Wargame are in this game, imao it has three major elements it made the game much more tactical than WAB and WRD :

- salvo reloading time before shooting at anything (i.e unit need to pause for a reload + aiming period -0.2 s-), no more idiotic kiting, you 've got to think through before commiting your units cause they could get destroy aeons before being able to shoot.

- smaller (45°) frontal arc, made manoeuvers and flanking easier to do (but less rewarding, in a way, since side armor values are higher than in WRD or WAB)

- attacking moral was useful, routing your ennemies with a barrage and a lot of gun was a valid strategy

Plus the map were great, especially those of the last DLCs.
Then again, I still prefer the deck system, the whole pricing and neat amphibious vehicle of WRD. I just hope the dev will combine the best of both game in the future.

Lord Helmchen
Major-General

Postby Lord Helmchen » Fri 20 Mar 2015 01:59

That's what I hope too, a comination of all 3 Wargames with a focus on the EE and ALB scenario i.e. Europe.
Somehow I think the visual effects are better IMO. IDK, it just looks more realistic IMO.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Fri 20 Mar 2015 02:02

- salvo reloading time before shooting at anything (i.e unit need to pause for a reload + aiming period -0.2 s-), no more idiotic kiting, you 've got to think through before commiting your units cause they could get destroy aeons before being able to shoot.

I've always wondered why Eugen didn't make engagement times different, as well as acc, stabs, AP and range.

Mr. Ivan Boroff IV in his T-80UM will be able to engage more quickly than Mr. Ivan Boroff I in his T-34/85.

- attacking moral was useful, routing your ennemies with a barrage and a lot of gun was a valid strategy

IMO this was the only bad thing about EE. You couldn't do real attacks because your tanks always ended up out of control if you tried.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Fri 20 Mar 2015 02:48

I'd buy EE 2.

Fewer units though is a must if not fewer unit variants. For example they had just about every T-80 and T-72 ever made in the game. You had the base T-80 which was kind of pricey and mediocre, the T-80B which was just as useless as the basic t-80 with a larger price tag on it, the T-80BV which was alright, and the T-80U which was supreme king of armor. This lead to having many units with a large amount of price inflation. Then you had units like the early centurion, early t-55s, rusting T-34s which weren't good for much else other than be fodder, however in order to someone how keep them relevant the prices of units relative to the 80s was expensive. Having these units around isn't bad, I'd like to see what WW3 would have looked in 1975. However old stuff needs to be kept separate from new stuff.

Another problem in relation to the pricey problem is that that many strategy games shy away from big battles and tend to focus more on small skirmishes like company of heroes. You could deploy units in platoons, but this feature doesn't much other than to make your units an easier target. Any form attack or push was usually met with a group of guided missiles and an artillery barrage. In alb this evolved into guided missile barrages, mortars, and jets blotting out the sky to wipe out your tanks and troop carriers. In addition to this we had units that were too big for scope of the game/scale in which combat takes place.

Basically I think the next game needs:
1. Fewer types of units, just enough reasonable ones.
2. A better era system that serves to keep retired units from fighting modern ones.
3. A meaningful platoon system, less emphasis on hero units and small skirmishes
4. Have a reasonable amount of support assets.
5. Reasonably in scale assets

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Fri 20 Mar 2015 03:27

loved EE

anyone who has spent time in TS with me knows how often I nostalgia for this game.

honestly, though, it could deal with

-no need for super long buk/kub systems to deal with helis
-an armory
-20 point ALB/EE armor scale
-amphib
-ALB deck system with some RD elements
-maybe limited one-time, limited, very powerful aircraft calls.

perfect game imo

and the campaigns... sogood
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

kanesoban
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby kanesoban » Fri 20 Mar 2015 11:48

Shrike wrote:Any form attack or push was usually met with a group of guided missiles and an artillery barrage. In alb this evolved into guided missile barrages, mortars, and jets blotting out the sky to wipe out your tanks and troop carriers. In addition to this we had units that were too big for scope of the game/scale in which combat takes place.

It doesn't help that you cannot make all your units move at the same speed. If you select both tanks and AA vehicles and tell them to go somewhere, then your AA runs forward because they are usually faster than tanks and get slaugthered. It is a pain to control different types of units. In most RTSs since Starcraft 1, if you select different units and send them somewhere, they will move at the speed of the slowest unit. Why this hasn't been implemented since EE came out, i don't understand.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Fri 20 Mar 2015 12:41

EE had the best maps and the best looking effects (explosions, fire and smoke). Old Conquest mode was perfect with well tuned settings.

But it lacks the reverse move. :)

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Fri 20 Mar 2015 13:10

I am still playing EE regularly with some friends of mine and it is awesome. I also tried to initiate a "Back to WEE Saturday" with not all too much success, but how about we all come online and play tomorrow?

Firestarter
Lieutenant

Postby Firestarter » Fri 20 Mar 2015 13:11

Oliver wrote:I am still playing EE regularly with some friends of mine and it is awesome. I also tried to initiate a "Back to WEE Saturday" with not all too much success, but how about we all come online and play tomorrow?

Every Saturday I wait for you to come online and my hopes are crushed every time :cry: