Modding tools

trotskygrad
General

Re: Modding tools

Postby trotskygrad » Mon 25 Feb 2013 17:25

varis wrote:
nWODT_Niack wrote:As said earlier, a map editor – provided it would be technically feasible – would let people vent their creativity without breaking the community. Ideally, custom maps should be distributed when starting the lobby, like what is done for some games.

Maps can be even tested by the community and officially approved by Eugen and added to the "rotation". (Wasn't that done for WiC?)

That way mod tools can bring benefit to 100% of the community.

On the other hand, DLCs won't be for everyone either. There are some people who don't play single player, conquest, economy, etc.

I'm pretty sure mod tools != map tools

I myself would be happy with either, though I would like true mod tools (rule editor, and ways to change unit behaviour) eventually
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

D-M

Postby D-M » Mon 25 Feb 2013 18:14

trotskygrad wrote:
varis wrote:
nWODT_Niack wrote:As said earlier, a map editor – provided it would be technically feasible – would let people vent their creativity without breaking the community. Ideally, custom maps should be distributed when starting the lobby, like what is done for some games.

Maps can be even tested by the community and officially approved by Eugen and added to the "rotation". (Wasn't that done for WiC?)

That way mod tools can bring benefit to 100% of the community.

On the other hand, DLCs won't be for everyone either. There are some people who don't play single player, conquest, economy, etc.

I'm pretty sure mod tools != map tools

I myself would be happy with either, though I would like true mod tools (rule editor, and ways to change unit behaviour) eventually

map tools ∈ mod tools

artao
Master Sergeant

Postby artao » Tue 26 Feb 2013 01:39

@MadMat -- sorry if I'm insulting or offending you. :cry:
gotta say tho, I just looked through all my posts and my initial posts on this subject were rather benign. I admit I've become more irritated and aggressive about it as there has consistently been no answer about this, until that post you just made. Also, I've been repeatedly threatened with being banned for not dropping this subject. .. and that is the only reason.
that's not cool man.
My primary interest re: mod tools is a map editor, which would be useful to the majority of players. Nothing is useful to 100% of players of course.
I do indeed appreciate and enjoy this game, and have thanked y'all for it in numerous posts.
You must admit tho, you can see how it gets pretty irritating and old to keep reading "it will be in ALB" whenever people bring up outstanding issues with EE -- and I don't mean database changes. This of course leads to the sour posts. I'll reign myself in.
Peace

komemiute
Private

Modding tools?

Postby komemiute » Tue 12 Mar 2013 14:58

Sorry if this has already been asked...

What about modding tools?
What about any HOPE to see them?

I'd love to reduce a bit fuel consumption tables...
Could it be done without modding tools or data tables are hardcoded/crypted?
I'm planning to use WG:EE only in SP, BTW...

Thanks a bunch in advance...

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Tue 12 Mar 2013 15:06

Yes, it was asked before, as the 19 pages of this thread (in which I'm merging your post) alone prove it.
You'll find the answer in it ...

komemiute
Private

Postby komemiute » Tue 12 Mar 2013 16:57

Been throught the 19 pages...

I'm feeling really sorry I didn't notice this thread before, Mat. :(
I hope I didn't pass as a troll or anything.

I really REALLY like the game even though I only managed to put few hours in it.

What amazes me is that even though I've played the first mission about 4 or 5 times, something different ALWAYS happens.

Yeah, well... no Godzilla appearance or UFOs, but none were expected either...
I was stunned to realize that AI makes very good use of every occasion to hit on the rear armour if you drop your guard just one second...

I tried several apporaches to the goal and every time I got a slightly different result.

I am impressed.
I also managed to get a friend of mine to fight against me in a couple MP matches and despite the obvious difference in decks and skill I always managed to put up a fair fight, losing always by a handful of points.

I loved it. And I rarely like to lose ;).

That said unfortunately I'd love to see lesser impact of the fuel reserve during normal operations (more during fast movement) and maybe a confirm that Enemy AI has to take care of ammunition too.
Fuel is a different topic...

It could just use less fuel than Human Players, or get resupply trucks for "free", as long as they can be realistically captured by HP.

If any of this is already there, I beg your pardon. As I said, I didn't play enough yet. Two kids and a part time job as artist is not easy on free time :P

Again, great work, GREAT I say, on WG: EE.

*Big Grin, hat's off, exeunt*

DiabloTigerSix
Colonel

Postby DiabloTigerSix » Tue 12 Mar 2013 17:09

[EUG]MadMat wrote:So what to do with that extra-money? We had to decide between:
- invest in modding tools, useful to some <5% of the community, then move completely on ALB and leave modders create "hovering T-80 meta" or "über-Abrams with square-10 armor". With the risk, everyone doing its own little nationalist fantasy, to split a nascent community.

Map editor wouldn't. There's only one more thing I have to say on the matter:

Map editor...

...in ALB

BelgarionNL
Warrant Officer

Postby BelgarionNL » Tue 12 Mar 2013 18:06

why bother now? will these modding tools also work for airland battles then?

FirmusPiett
Lieutenant

Postby FirmusPiett » Thu 14 Mar 2013 19:22

Alright I get that w:AB is taking up all of the dev team's efforts... Totally fine... I am very much looking forward to W:AB (more so than any other game of 2013, well maybe along with Arma 3 :) ) but I hope Eugen don't completely rule out the idea in the long run. W:AB mod tools would definitely be better than W:EE tools. All we need really is a map editor, mission editor, and appropriate converters for accessing the filetypes required for changing and viewing unit's models, stats as well as sounds and words etc.

Tbh I just look forward to the day where I'm able to start a Star Wars total conversion mod 8-)
Spoiler : :

What time period would it be though that's the question :/

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Fri 15 Mar 2013 02:38

If anyone proficient in scripting languages (Python, Perl, NDF) wants to help me work out the serialization of data files and build a toolset, contact me on Steam. I think I'm decently close to wrapping it up.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hobgadling