Do you REALLY need to zoom into the whites of their eyes?

kruelgor
Corporal

Do you REALLY need to zoom into the whites of their eyes?

Postby kruelgor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 18:36

I was wondering if it puts more demand on system resources when a game like this gives the player the ability to zoom way into the whites of their eyes. It's a strategy game, after all, and really isn't necessary for the game itself.

The total war series does the same thing. I mean, could the game developers had saved precious time? Would the game run smoother and faster without it?

It is kind of neat every now and then to zoom way down there and look at the paint job on the ground units, kind of like bringing a chess piece up two inches from your eyeball, but it's not really something that would be done very often.

Is it a waste of time and resources for game developers to include the feature?
Senatorial elections coming soon for Wargame: European Escalation CLICK HERE for INFO

tankmajor
Staff Sergeant

Re: Do you REALLY need to zoom into the whites of their eyes

Postby tankmajor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 18:43

:x no i dont agree sometimes when you zoom in you can see the close action just like in mow when you see your troops reloading or cartridges ejecting from their cannons or rifles i dont think developers are wasting their time

its one of the main reason why i buy these games and cant wait for wEE

kruelgor
Corporal

Postby kruelgor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 18:45

I assume if you play single player then one would be more of an advocate of it. I loathe single player (except for Civilization and XCom) and perhaps that's why I don't care for the feature. Of course, I'd probably bring up the same complaint if it were applied to Civilization too.

Who during multiplayer would ever want to zoom way in?
Senatorial elections coming soon for Wargame: European Escalation CLICK HERE for INFO

Selkares
Brigadier

Postby Selkares » Sat 21 Jan 2012 18:53

I don't get this never ending debate on zoom and visuals.

Usually people criticize wargames for being too ugly and not user friendly, but when developers deliver an impressive game engine, some people criticize it and say it's useless.

Can't we just let the developers make their choices (according to their possibilities, time, etc...) and take the game the way it is?

Sure, visuals are the least of our concerns.
I'm of those who prefer a huge gameplay and don't really care about visuals, but when we've got both, why spit on the game engine?

kruelgor
Corporal

Postby kruelgor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 19:00

Selkares wrote:Usually people criticize wargames for being too ugly and...

Trust me. I'm not your usual kiddy arcade player. I look at games from a different perspective. These game devs these days have lost focus on what is important, and so they put too much emphasis on graphics and neglect the actual game. I can't tell you how many titles I have where the graphics are very nice, but the gameplay is inferior.

When a game design studio has only X number of employees and X number of days to release the title, then the game design itself will suffer when too much time is wasted on things like zooming into the whites of their eyes. For an FPS/Shooter game I can understand, but not for a game like this.

tankmajor
Staff Sergeant

Postby tankmajor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 19:07

:? so in your opinion going on what you have seen of WEE what do you make of the gameplay zoomin etc
considering zooming in for me also acts as a kind of being close to the units

kruelgor
Corporal

Postby kruelgor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 19:10

tankmajor wrote:when you zoom in you can see the close action just like in mow...

Isn't the scale in a game like WEE much different from a game like Men of War? I recall in Men of War needing to zoom way in from time to time, but that is not demanded in a game like WEE or RUSE.

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Sat 21 Jan 2012 19:12

You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

kruelgor
Corporal

Postby kruelgor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 19:12

tankmajor wrote:considering zooming in for me also acts as a kind of being close to the units

That sounds to be coming from a "single player" perspective, no?

kruelgor
Corporal

Postby kruelgor » Sat 21 Jan 2012 19:14

Oliver wrote:You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

That's not really the debate. The debate is does it or does it not put a higher burden on system resources thus increasing the minimum system requirement and limiting the number of players that can play the game, does it lengthen the time period to produce the game thus we the players must wait much longer for release, does it distract the game developers from focusing on the actual game itself, and does that translate into a higher cost for the product?

What makes this a topic is that the feature is not necessary for the game itself, and would be very infrequently used - especially in multiplayer.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”