Why is the ASU85 here?

derpcannon BG
Sergeant Major

Why is the ASU85 here?

Postby derpcannon BG » Fri 25 May 2012 15:25

This PoS is inferior in every way compared to other 15 pt units which makes it completely useless to be added in a deck. It was also intended to be paradroped into the enemy rear on the strategic level of planning by aircraft and not fight alongside mechanised land formations. on the main front. Since there are no Il12s and Il76s and the game exclusively focuses tactical mechanised warfare why is this thing here? If the asu85 wont be removed I want the BMD series loaded with VDV, ASU57 and the 2S9 nona.

solvens
Major

Re: Why is the ASU85 here?

Postby solvens » Fri 25 May 2012 15:58

derpcannon BG wrote:This PoS is inferior in every way compared to other 15 pt units which makes it completely useless to be added in a deck

Don't use it then. There is some units that I personally find useless but that some people use because it fits their playstyle or just because they like the unit IRL.
derpcannon BG wrote:It was also intended to be paradroped into the enemy rear on the strategic level of planning by aircraft and not fight alongside mechanised land formations.

Like the german Wiesel, for example. Is that really impossible that the ASU would have fought alongside tanks during WW3 ? Differents units often stick together in cases of retreat or if nothing else is available.
derpcannon BG wrote:If the asu85 wont be removed I want the BMD series loaded with VDV, ASU57 and the 2S9 nona.

1) It's a gameplay choice ; the BMD wouldn't be very different of the BMP in terms of weapons or performance. And you have already tons of units ; Pact didn't get the Nona, Nato didn't get the Lars, etc...
I suppose that those units won't be added in the game in the near future, so why should the poor ASU 85 be deleted without any advantage ?
2)I could say "or what ?", but before that, you forgot to say please. ;)

I Would like to see paradrops of infantry and light vehicles in the game, but I think they won't be there soon. You probably have to wait for mods.

ow592
Sergeant First-Class

Postby ow592 » Fri 25 May 2012 17:22

derpcannon BG wrote:This PoS is inferior in every way compared to other 15 pt units which makes it completely useless to be added in a deck.

I don´t know the units you mean. Please tell us!

Orange
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Orange » Fri 25 May 2012 17:35

derpcannon BG wrote:This PoS is inferior in every way compared to other 15 pt units which makes it completely useless to be added in a deck. It was also intended to be paradroped into the enemy rear on the strategic level of planning by aircraft and not fight alongside mechanised land formations. on the main front. Since there are no Il12s and Il76s and the game exclusively focuses tactical mechanised warfare why is this thing here? If the asu85 wont be removed I want the BMD series loaded with VDV, ASU57 and the 2S9 nona.

I got the same view towards the ASU. The ISU 122 is for the same cost in every aspect superior. There are a couple of units which have no real worth or use or just out of competition, It maybe is intended well they are definitely not multiplayer ready.

Same is it with the MT LB Strela 2, you look at it, then at the Strop 2, you take the Strop 2 and never think of Strela 2 again.

Would be interesting to hear what the intention was when adding the ASU.
Hey Ya
Mighty-I-dee-I-dee-I (Mighty-I-dee-I-dee-I)
Odee odee odee oooo (Ode odee odee oooo)
Odee odee odee oooooo (Ode odee odee oooo)

Mighty ighty ighty ighty ighty ighty O

Toot
Warrant Officer

Postby Toot » Fri 25 May 2012 17:49

Would you rather have the ASU or a T-55.

Ok.

ow592
Sergeant First-Class

Postby ow592 » Fri 25 May 2012 20:47

Orange wrote:I got the same view towards the ASU. The ISU 122 is for the same cost in every aspect superior.

ASU is a small unit and ISU122 is a big unit. ASU don´t get that easy dedected and is harder to hit.

if you don´t like ASU don´t use it, but complaining about a useless unit is nonsence.

Orange
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Orange » Fri 25 May 2012 21:00

ow592 wrote:
Orange wrote:I got the same view towards the ASU. The ISU 122 is for the same cost in every aspect superior.

ASU is a small unit and ISU122 is a big unit. ASU don´t get that easy dedected and is harder to hit.

if you don´t like ASU don´t use it, but complaining about a useless unit is nonsence.

Wooow so there is something in which it got an advantage over IS-122, didn't notice that sry. Still, even with that I have heavy doubts towards its usefulness as every other aspect apart from Size is worse.
Hey Ya
Odee odee odee oooo (Ode odee odee oooo)
Odee odee odee oooooo (Ode odee odee oooo)

Mighty ighty ighty ighty ighty ighty O

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 25 May 2012 21:01

The real killer is the range, though.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Cygnus
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Cygnus » Fri 25 May 2012 21:26

The ASU gun has an advantage over the ISU because it's an AP shell that scales with distance, whilst ISU uses HEAT.
However, if you're using the ASU-85, you might as well switch over to the T-34/85 which has 1 more AP and greater operational range.

Right now there is really no point in using it. I would maybe considering using it if it'd cost 5 supply or something.

solvens
Major

Postby solvens » Fri 25 May 2012 21:45

Orange wrote:Still, even with that I have heavy doubts towards its usefulness as every other aspect apart from Size is worse

Let's see : Better acuracy, better RoF for the HMG, better optics (I think), less fuel consumption, and AP rounds instead of HEAT (which is a big advantage). In some extreme cases, I think it can even be slightly better than a T-34 or a T-55, but the lack of versatility comdemns the ASU.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”