[Guide] Choosing your PACT vehicles

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

[Guide] Choosing your PACT vehicles

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 13 Sep 2012 13:59

Based on AP damage to morale patch (V 12.10.08.950000069)

So here is a quick guide with a rough description of each and every PACT vehicle units, by category. As a reminder, these are mainly my opinions, they are bound to change, and can be flawed, but I'd be happy to correct myself if proven wrong.

This will go Nation by nation, deck choice by deck choice, since otherwise it would actually be a mess with multiple units of the same family filling different roles. However, after their name, I will include things like AT (Anti-tank: Recoiless Rifle & Canons), ATGM (ATGM), AATGM (Autocanon and ATGM), AU (Autocanon) and "Other".

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Transports are lightly covered in the infantry guides since they fit there better, and will not be developed further in this guide. They may be mentioned if they can have a true combat role or worth being chosen as "Vehicles" instead of "Transports" through.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A quick note on vehicles:

Wheeled vehicles all go at the same speed on roads. All tracked vehicles go at the same speed on roads. Tracked vehicles are slower on roads than wheeled ones. Wheeled vehicles have trouble managing difficult terrains (hedges, forests, etc...) and go very slowly in them.

USSR

BTR-60 & variants (Transport)

ASU-85 (Anti-infantry, tracked, 15pts)
With it's low AP and average HE canon, the ASU is supposed to be an anti-infantry vehicle, with a HMG giving it a mean of defending itself against their transports. However, it has a terrible operational range and speed, preventing it from being used in the offence. Also, it is outclassed by the SU-122-54 fitting the role much better in pretty much everything. A unit designed for one task and not particularly good at it.

-SU-122-54 (Anti-infantry, tracked, 15pts)
With a very high HE (5) and a decent HMG, this unit is really good at fighting infantry. However, it's AP power is extremely limited and it can't handle anything bigger than an APC (and not Marders). It's rather cheap and even though it has a limited speed and operational range, it's generally enough to reach forward positions. Due to their low price, you can send them alongside you infantry when moving into forests, where they will really hurt deployed infantry units. In a 4 SU vs 4 (any infantry) situation, the SU will wipe out the 4 squads while suffering between 1 and 2 losses: Only 2 shots can wipe out squads and stun the others.

-BMP1 (Canon & ATGM-Transport, tracked, 15pts)
Terrible ATGM and bad gun, it's really cheap, it's a bit too pricey for cheap anfantry, and a bit too bad for better infantry. I'd avoid using them, but they can fill the gaps and force enemies into defensive positions due to the ATGM fire.

-BMP1 Obr. 1970 (Canon & ATGM-Transport, tracked, 20pts)
Like the BMP1 with slightly more accurate weapons, it's not a good choice.

-BMP1P (Canon & ATGM-Transport, tracked, 25pts)
Armed with an average Konkur ATGM, it's actually pretty good due to its low price if used while carrying cheap infantry (for better availability).

-BMP1D (Canon & grenades -Transport, tracked, 25pts)
Slightly slower than the other BMP1s but more armoured, this Grenade-launcher armed IFV is great when used alongside other transports since the grenades stun pretty well. Otherwise, it's not really good on its own.

RESULT: The BMP1 family can be a interesting deck choice as transports, but is otherwise in too limited numbers for any real use. Only the last versions really are worth anything.

-BMP2 (AATGM-Transport, tracked, 40pts)
Armed with an average Konkur ATGM and a decent Autocanon, the BMP2 is a rather good versatile transport and offers PACT the opportunity to field ground autocanons in decent numbers. Only few are available and they could be really interessting if they weren't only available to Motostrelki as transports.

-BMP2D (AATGM-Transport, tracked, 45pts)
A much tougher version of the BMP2 (Armour 2 in front and sides) it can hold its ground against most NATO autocanon platforms since few of them have more than 1 armour. A good choice for motostrelki transport.

-BMP2 obr. 1986 (AATGM-Transport, tracked, 50pts)
Armed with an upgraded Konkur ATGM and an accurate Autocanon, the BMP2 OBR is a rather good versatile but suffers from its armour value of 1 compared to the BMP2D. It also has stabilizers, making it a much better in terms of firepower, but not so good in terms of toughness, IFV.

-BMP-3 (Anti-infantry, AATGM-Transport, tracked, 60pts)
Armed with the less accurate & powerful BASTION atgm, the BMP-3 also fields a long range HE only canon that's quite efficient against ATGM infantry like Milan and Dragoon quads. With good armour (2/2/1/1), good firepower and the ability to fight any kind of targets with good efficieny, it is quite good, especially on the move, but costs a lot.

RESULT: I personally recommend them all, at least as a counter to NATO autocanons. For that, you either have to take the BMP-2D for its armour or the BMP-2 Obr in order to maximise firepower. The BMP3 can be a good occasional addition to battlegroups

BDRM-2 MALYUKTA-M (ATGM, Wheeled, 30 points)
Overpriced ATGM platform with a bad ATGM and no other mean of fighting.

-BDRM-2 MALYUKTA-P (ATGM, Wheeled, 40 points)
Even more overpriced: Tons of missiles in store, but they will never hit.

-BDRM-2 KONKUR (ATGM, Wheeled, 50 points)
Overpriced ATGM platform with an average ATGM, 10 missiles in stock... It can still be used occasionally but lacks real punch. Due to its decent mobility, it can be used as an ambush ATGM for hit and run tactics, but costs too much for that job, and it can still run out of fuel if moving in woods.

BTR-70 ZHALO (canon, Wheeled, 20 points)
White cheap and fast, it's a great vehicle to outflank your enemy, though it lacks AP for direct confrontation. It can also be a great distraction force, and is easy to relocate. Just think about joining a few units with AA abilities in the gorup since they don't even have MGs.

-MT-LB SHTURM-S (ATGM, Tracked, 55 points)
Best range land ATGM system, it is quite accurate and powerful. Great value in pairs and great open fields as long as recon feeds them with targets.

UAZ-469 SPG-9 (AT, Wheeled, 10 points)
Really cheap, this jeep can be a good APC in woods, especially when veteran since it increases the chances of critical hits. It suffers from low ammunition count, but can follow any group of units due to a huge operational range. Can be a good addition to ambush roads, and as an ATGM magnet.

- UAZ-469 FAGOT (ATGM, Wheeled, 15 points)
Not a great ATGM, but for really cheap, this unit can do the job. It is vulnerable to artillery fire and helicopter rockets due to a low number of Hit Points.

- UAZ-469 KONKURS (ATGM, Wheeled, 15 points)
Really good ATGM range for the price, it's great in hedges of great open fields when you have recon to point out the targets. They are also vulnerable to artillery fire and helicopter rockets due to a low number of Hit Points.

ZSU-23-4 AFGHANSKII (Autocanon, Tracked, 20 points)
Really cheap, if vetted it can be the cheapest, most accurate land autocanon available to PACT for the price, though it has limited efficiency (due to range) against air units.

DDR

BMP-1 SP-1 & SP2: See BMP-1 and BMP-1 Obr
PZJ UAZ SPG-9 & PZJ UAZ FAGOT: See USSR version
SPW-40P2 MALYUKA-M & P: See USSR versions
SPW-60PB (transport) : See USSR variant

Note: DDR basically has the worst of all lines, don't bother checking. Only the UAZ may be worth something, but you lose the really long range ones.

Czechoslovakia (CSSR)
This will be short...

OT-810D (Canon, tracked)
Really cheap, it is average in every possible way, but makes a very good infantry cleaner in woods. It lacks the HMG that's on the SU-122, but it's still efficient.

Poland (POL)
See infantry section for most of them, though:

TOPAS 2A is good at cleaning woods
SKOT-2 AM is not worth its ATGM as a combat unit.
Last edited by DeuZerre on Tue 16 Oct 2012 12:02, edited 2 times in total.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Orange
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: [Guide] Choosing your PACT vehicles

Postby Orange » Thu 13 Sep 2012 14:02

SU 122 costs 15 points (I think)
Why you do a guide on units before playing the patch. Try it out first.
Hey Ya
Mighty-I-dee-I-dee-I (Mighty-I-dee-I-dee-I)
Odee odee odee oooo (Ode odee odee oooo)
Odee odee odee oooooo (Ode odee odee oooo)

Mighty ighty ighty ighty ighty ighty O

DeuZerre
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 13 Sep 2012 14:04

You know, the SU-122 is already HE 4, which is really god for the price. It has been in my deck for the last 6 weeks or so. The fact that they are boosting it is a bonus. And I don't know why I though it was 20 points... I always buy them in 4, then split them anyway.

As for why? It's been in a word document for a long time, i just tweaked it before posting.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

D-M

Postby D-M » Thu 13 Sep 2012 15:28

OT-810D (Canon, tracked)
Really cheap, it is average in every possible way, but makes a very good infantry cleaner in woods. It lacks the HMG that's on the SU-122, but it's still efficient.

Ehh ? 0 front armor, it will be either stunned of destroyed before shooting anything. :/

DeuZerre

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 13 Sep 2012 15:38

Nah, it will shoot once, and either stun the unit it faces until an other shot, or die at the return fire. Against a Rarden it's cheaper and the AP scaling makes its AP3 into something good.

Just spam them in groups of 4 without any care in the world. They suck against armour though.
Marshal honoris causa

Obermotz
Master Sergeant

Postby Obermotz » Thu 13 Sep 2012 17:44

they have HEAT rounds

DeuZerre

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 13 Sep 2012 17:54

Obermotz wrote:they have HEAT rounds

You certain of that? I always send them to their death in big numbers through forests alongside infantry, must have been screwing with me, and between TOPAS 2A, SU6122 and OT-810D shell, it's sometimes hard to determine who kills what. I'm pretty certain they One-shot rardens though.
Marshal honoris causa

DiabloTigerSix
Colonel

Postby DiabloTigerSix » Thu 13 Sep 2012 19:11

The DDR BMP-1 slot is a bit different, because it gives you increased availability of the BMP-1 SP-1. I think you can deploy as many as 24 of them.

Now, here my advice:

1. Buy plenty of BMP-1 SP-1 's with 2-, 3- or even 4-vet if you feel like it. Forget the SP-2, it's too expensive for this.
2. ???
3. Profit! If you know how to fight, you'll make a good use of them.

That useless gun suddenly becomes accurate and you get magic stabs as well which means no need to stop to shoot!

They're quite fast and "soviet_doctrine_ftw!!!" swarms of accurate 4AP power rain that can be very effective unless you're facing some fast heavies (Leopard 2A4's to be exact), but other than that they alone can sweep away the majority of enemy units that'll stand in their way mmmmmmmmmm... yeah! This is my new Marder VTS1 <3.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Thu 13 Sep 2012 19:22

DeuZerre wrote:ZSU-23-4 AFGHANSKII (Autocanon, Tracked, 20 points)
Really cheap, if vetted it can be the cheapest, most accurate land autocanon available to PACT for the price, though it has limited efficiency (due to range) against air units.

It can't shoot at anything with armour.

Orange
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Orange » Thu 13 Sep 2012 19:38

praslovan wrote:
DeuZerre wrote:ZSU-23-4 AFGHANSKII (Autocanon, Tracked, 20 points)

It can't shoot at anything with armour.

It can. Well if yours can't than thats your problem for playing wrong. My condolence
Hey Ya
Odee odee odee oooo (Ode odee odee oooo)
Odee odee odee oooooo (Ode odee odee oooo)

Mighty ighty ighty ighty ighty ighty O

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”