DevBlog #10: Set sails!

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: DevBlog #10: Set sails!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Fri 25 Oct 2013 12:34

Could you please create another thread instead of spamming this one with pictures?

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Fri 25 Oct 2013 13:14

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Could you please create another thread instead of spamming this one with pictures?

Created topic here

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=36151
Viker for ingen!

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Fri 25 Oct 2013 13:33

Well, this is really good news. Certainly makes for a much greater flexibility in approach for Navies like the US, UK, Japan, Russia, France and even Canada and Australia!

Be interested to see a line up of units :). Also interested on your line of thought with regards some of the very small frigates the Commonwealth and France have been known to use. Examples like Tribal, Amazon, River, Leander (for New Zealand). Often these ships were built large as "steel is cheap and air is free!" while the actual weapons fit was closer to some of the heavier corvettes listed in your example (Specifically the Pohang corvette).

I want to header that question with the statement I am not "wish listing" just curious how flexible you will be with regards the realities when discussing "ship class". Every nation designs ship class to suit them and as such can be very different from what they name them!! Case in point, US and Japanese Aegis Destroyers are close to 9,500 tons full load and act more like cruisers in the roles they fulfil due to both being regularly assigned into very deep waters and with powerful CVBG's as such while capable of acting independently like a Destroyer in the battle group they are definitely mainstay fighting units! The River/Leander/Amazon class frigates are commonwealth examples of ships that are required to travel the globe due to widespread territories and commitments but regularly did the job of the "Corvette and/or sloop of war" in a fleet. The extra size was often simply done to ensure good sea keeping capabilities and range. Certainly in any ideal conflict the "Destroyer/Frigate" role in the commonwealth navies was given to the Type 42, Type 23, Type 22, Halifax class frigate, Anzac class frigate.s

Spoiler : off topic :
ikalugin wrote:
GBNATO wrote:I can already tell the Royal navy is going to be incredibly underpowered.

I just see that exoset hitting Sheffield. A lesson learned french planes with missiles > RN ships :twisted: :mrgreen:

LOL, perhaps a fair point however anyone who has studied the Falklands knows that the matter was not that simple. Certainly we learnt some painful lessons, although a good one is listed below ;)

FAA Harriers > French planes with Missiles > RN ships.

IF anyone is actually interested in learning some lessons about the reality of the Exocet strike against HMS Sheffield and the reasons for its success beyond the skilful piloting of the Argentine aircraft then I would suggest reading this document here. It is the official report and certainly highlights some of the weaknesses in the Sheffield class (Batch 1) of Type 42 destroyers.

I do feel that a single example of successful missile strike in a conflict in 1982 shouldn't be taken too seriously with regards the Type 42. Especially as our timeline is 1991 with prototypes to 1995etc. As a result I would like to mention that Batch 2 and Batch 3 of the Type 42 was a huge step up and even Sea Dart had been significantly upgraded by this point and supplemented with 2 Phalanx CIWS and a massive move to extensive soft kill decoys. This all proved very useful when she knocked down a Silkworm heading for USS Missouri with a salvo shot of Sea Dart. Indeed the American firing computers had an issue with Missouri's Chaff, something we experienced in the Falklands and had learned to counter. An example of a batch 3 Type 42 located here.
ImageImage

mrl0ve
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby mrl0ve » Fri 25 Oct 2013 19:01

So point defense systems for ships... Does it mean we will see Arena for T-80/90 ? :twisted:

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Fri 25 Oct 2013 19:10

mrl0ve wrote:Does it mean we will see Arena for T-80/90 ? :twisted:

Do I really need to answer that ... ?

mrl0ve
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby mrl0ve » Fri 25 Oct 2013 19:12

:cry:

Wasn't on the "not to ask for" list..

But well, I don't get why it shouldn't be ingame. :cry:

Col_Sandfurz
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Col_Sandfurz » Fri 25 Oct 2013 20:32

You are just great!!!!

I loved AoW:HT with its Naval fights (especially the Arleigh Burke^^)
I loved the effects of the starting Harpoons and Tomahawks and the visuals of the CIWS

So you now bring this awsomeness to Wargame (which is already an awsome game)..

I really trust you to make RD a super awsome game, but I like to ask you some questions:
- Does the introduction of the big ships also mean that the 4 weapon limit will be gone?
e.g. the Arleigh Burke (or Kongo) have the 127mm gun, SM-2, SM-2ER, Harpoon, Phalanx CIWS, Tomahawk, ASROC and standart Torpedo tubes (while the latter two will not be ingame since the subs to shoot at are in deeper sea)
Even if the Tomahawks will be missing, I would like to see a higher weapon count.
This would also help for example aircraft the be even more multirole (I look at you Su-25)
Also Infantry could greatly benefit from this.

- Do you implement improved missile flight? You did an amazing job with AoW:HT's Harpoons and Tomahawks (but unfortunately less so with the sea launched SAM's) And you have confirmed the Udaloy II which has the sea based version of the Tor SAM komplex, a pure VLS system and so is the Kongo. The imploved missile flight performance could also be brought to the Hellfire, Maveric, AMRAAM, Phoenix and R-33 and R-37 missiles, that would look so damn cool!!!!

- Since the Kongo is confirmend and it has AEGIS system onboard, does this mean that, at least this kind of ships, can engage multiple air targets (fixed wing, rotary wing and AShM's) at once? This system was (as you know for sure) also present in all the AMRAAM capable aircraft, as well as the Tomcat, MiG-35 and maybe (i do net know fore sure) all aircraft with R-77 (RVV-AE).
I would also love to see a "simple" target sharing algorithm with normal SAM and SPAAG system to counter for exapmle heli and aircraft spams.
Some "brainfart" of mine regarding those systems, maybe it can be usefull: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31517

ubermensche
First Sergeant

Postby ubermensche » Fri 25 Oct 2013 21:02

Frigates?

Also: how are ships going to be replenished? Is there gonna be a new logistics ship? Like AORs?

hotrod525
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby hotrod525 » Sat 26 Oct 2013 00:06

awesome... DDG-51, will they got Tomahawk Land Attack capability ? If they will be "Anti Missile capability" ?

Darasuum
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Darasuum » Sat 26 Oct 2013 02:55

Someone asked this before, but there was no answer.

Will ships help each other with missiles defence? As in if one of my two ships is targeted by missiles will the second ship help shoot down said missiles if they come within point defence range?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”