Modification to unit optics proposal

Falcrack
Lieutenant

Modification to unit optics proposal

Postby Falcrack » Mon 27 Jan 2014 20:08

I'll try and keep this short yet get the main point across!

In my proposal, the optics ability of units would relate to their ability to spot hidden or distant enemy units, just like it currently does. However, once the enemy unit is spotted, all friendly units with line of sight on the enemy unit would receive a +1 or +2 to their optics category, but only towards the enemy unit that has been spotted (not towards other enemy units which may be hidden). As soon as sight on the enemy is lost, this bonus would of course disappear.

The consequences of this would be that a unit with even mediocre optics could have a reasonable chance of keeping sight on an enemy unit once the recon unit that spotted it originally has moved/been killed etc. Enemy units once spotted would have a slightly harder time getting hidden again.

I think this is reasonable, considering that even a unit that is not a dedicated recon vehicle, if it knows where the enemy is and has its eyes on it, should be able to have a better chance to keep its eyes on the target.

Finally, get rid of the free intel where when your unit stops flashing while in cover, you know it has been spotted. If I have a hidden CV or other unit, I should not be able to tell that an enemy recon team has its eyes on it because it has stopped flashing all of a sudden. All friendly units when in some sort of cover should flash regardless of whether the enemy has sufficient optics to spot it or not.

Your thoughts on this?

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Modification to unit optics proposal

Postby smyljr » Tue 28 Jan 2014 19:12

i like it
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

Numbers
Warrant Officer

Postby Numbers » Tue 28 Jan 2014 20:55

I like the first proposal, I don't like the second one. If names no longer stopped flashing when spotted, it would make CV hunting even more endemic.

Falcrack
Lieutenant

Postby Falcrack » Tue 28 Jan 2014 23:12

Alternatively, once a unit has been spotted, its stealth category goes down by 1 or 2 until enemy sight on it has been lost again, at which point the penalty is removed. Would make recon units that have been spotted have a bit harder time sneaking back into cover once they are discovered. Infantry fights in the forest would be much improved IMO.

As to ability to know if enemy has sight on you because it stops blinking, I use that feature all the time to know if one of my units has been scouted out. I'm still against it. Unless the game intends to model psychic abilities in which you can "feel" that someone is secretly looking at you, I don't think it should be a feature. Maybe give CVs better optics in order to help compensate for CV hunting issues.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Wed 29 Jan 2014 07:04

Falcrack wrote:Alternatively, once a unit has been spotted, its stealth category goes down by 1 or 2 until enemy sight on it has been lost again, at which point the penalty is removed. Would make recon units that have been spotted have a bit harder time sneaking back into cover once they are discovered. Infantry fights in the forest would be much improved IMO.

I really like that idea, much easier to implement than OP
Of Salt

Jereth
Lieutenant

Postby Jereth » Wed 29 Jan 2014 08:01

Some of these ideas have been discussed before: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=38349

Regarding your first part though, I'm not sure I understand your reasoning for this change? I feel like this would generally be a nerf to recon, because A) it gives other units magical optics, thus reducing the importance of dedicated recon, and B) it would make it harder for recon infantry to hide, especially while advancing. Overall I think it would introduce too many side effects for no apparent reason.

The second part, I'm not against... But judging by the discussion in the thread I linked, it's probably too hardcore an option for some people.

While we're spitballing with stealth/optics changes... I'll shamelessly plug my idea: All infantry should have exceptional stealth while stationary. Well, maybe all. Militia or other poorly trained units could perhaps have very good instead... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the basic concepts of camouflage and concealment.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”