Post your questions to the beta testers!

jonas165
Brigadier

Re: Post your questions to the beta testers!

Postby jonas165 » Sun 2 Mar 2014 14:14

Darasuum wrote:
jonas165 wrote:
Darasuum wrote:1: Is the artillery ROF still tied to the amount of shells they fire. For instance in ALB, the AMX has a ROF of 7, and fires 6 shells. Bakan has ROF 8, fires 7 etc.

As in ALB, the RoF displayed in the armoury is inaccurate and in some cases just wrong.

I see. Does this mean the ROF stat is useless and every piece fires a set amount of shells? Or is this still influenced by the ROF system, albeit buggy(weird)?

I haven´t tested arty that much yet, so I don´t know it exactly. The only thing I can say about Arty is that it eats supply like nothing else. If you use Arty like in ALB (and I don´t mean spamming, I just mean sniping some spotted AA sometimes and stuff like that), one FOB won´t be enough for you. But you get what you pay for with the new arty (or sometimes way more).
But somehow, only mortars seem not to have profited from the global arty power increase.

Darasuum wrote:
jonas165 wrote:
Darasuum wrote:2: How are helicopters doing? From the armoury pictures I could see that a lot, and I mean a lot of AA-systems suddenly got 2800/2800+ range against helicopters.

Look at the Soviet Ka-50 and you know why. Combined with a Ka-52 for SEAD and recon, most AA units don´t pose a threat to it anymore. Longbow is also not bad, but I not had problems with it yet as REDFOR. Also, availability is generally higher then in ALB, so especially cheap choppers and high-end scout-hybrids come in high numbers, compared to ALB.

I see. Was kinda worried with the Crotale, increased range on the Rapier, TOR, new improved hawk, Roland 3, Thunguska-M etc etc. All with 2800 or 2800+range.

The Ka-50 has low difficulties dealing with AA. It is spitting fast missles at an imense fire rate and can take 1-2 hits due to armour and high HP. Only anything with 2800+ is a real problem for it, and only if the player uses it smart enough.
Cortale has a quite low availability, though. I don´t know why, but my most kills on choppers come from jets and AA choppers.
But yeah, I don´t see these "when everything else fails to stop them" Hinds as often anymore as in ALB.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

kvnrthr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby kvnrthr » Sun 2 Mar 2014 16:49

raventhefuhrer wrote:GUID means 'guided' which means there's literally a guy sitting there, looking at a little screen with a joystick that he's using to maneuver the missile to hit your plane. So if the operator is killed, or loses sight, or the plane gets too far away then the missile won't hit.

Hmm, its slightly worrying. On one hand it makes air superiority fighters more survivable but I think it sounds like a massive nerf to AA....But I haven't played beta, so I wouldn't know.

How do you think making all AA guided affected the game for you? Do you think this is a huge nerf to AA or is the change only moderately noticeable? For example, OSA AKM; I don't think aircraft will stay within the 3150 (now 3500, i think) range for very long. But perhaps I am wrong... what's your personal opinion?
Hoping for a better next-gen Wargame and new engine in a few years...
One can dream ;_;

cramble
Master Sergeant

Postby cramble » Sun 2 Mar 2014 16:53

Can supply choppers resuply supply trucks ?
If you get what i mean hehe.
''Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. We live in a primitive time, don't we? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it.''

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Sun 2 Mar 2014 16:58

kvnrthr wrote:
raventhefuhrer wrote:GUID means 'guided' which means there's literally a guy sitting there, looking at a little screen with a joystick that he's using to maneuver the missile to hit your plane. So if the operator is killed, or loses sight, or the plane gets too far away then the missile won't hit.

Hmm, its slightly worrying. On one hand it makes air superiority fighters more survivable but I think it sounds like a massive nerf to AA....But I haven't played beta, so I wouldn't know.

How do you think making all AA guided affected the game for you? Do you think this is a huge nerf to AA or is the change only moderately noticeable? For example, OSA AKM; I don't think aircraft will stay within the 3150 (now 3500, i think) range for very long. But perhaps I am wrong... what's your personal opinion?

I can say it makes IR AA more viable, especially Cortale and stuff like that. It somehow limits the capabilities of single AA Units, but a Radar ADN is still quite strong. A Roland 3 usally manages to fire at least 2 missles, so two Roland 3s take down planes quite well. I have the feeling missles are now faster, but that could also be my Imagination. But I rather rely on Hybrid-Systems or F&F, also because of SEAD.

cramble wrote:Can supply choppers resuply supply trucks ?

Didn´t try it yet, not enough activation points for supply choppers in my decks. But Eugen said it will be featured.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Sun 2 Mar 2014 17:01

IR AA and SPAAGs are definitely my mainstay AA systems now, with a Roland 3 or TOR sitting around in the back. The [GUID] tag on radar AA makes them borderline useless against SEAD birds, but that's more than compensated for by how useful ASFs are now.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Sun 2 Mar 2014 17:02

A lot of people don't like the changes, including some of my friends but in my experience, the AA changes haven't been an unreasonable nerf to AA. If I get bombed, it's not like my AA flails uselessly and misses the kill, it pretty much always knocks whatever came at me out of the sky. The difference is that now you might have to rely more on a varied AA system, using manpads and infrared AA rather than just a few radar AA.

Like I've said, the 'no fly zones' seem to be smaller and less toxic to the overall air combat meta, so I think that's a good thing. People are still adjusting to the increased usefulness of interceptors and the necessity of using them.

Sadly, no.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sun 2 Mar 2014 17:05

No.

cramble
Master Sergeant

Postby cramble » Sun 2 Mar 2014 17:12

Thanks for the answers but im sure it was posted somewhere by a dev that it will be coming in the game.
So i hope some of you can make a point about it in the beta forums just to make sure. And other wish we should just hope it will be there in the final release.
''Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. We live in a primitive time, don't we? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it.''

Panzeh
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Panzeh » Sun 2 Mar 2014 17:25

raventhefuhrer wrote:A lot of people don't like the changes, including some of my friends but in my experience, the AA changes haven't been an unreasonable nerf to AA. If I get bombed, it's not like my AA flails uselessly and misses the kill, it pretty much always knocks whatever came at me out of the sky. The difference is that now you might have to rely more on a varied AA system, using manpads and infrared AA rather than just a few radar AA.

Like I've said, the 'no fly zones' seem to be smaller and less toxic to the overall air combat meta, so I think that's a good thing. People are still adjusting to the increased usefulness of interceptors and the necessity of using them.

Sadly, no.

I think my problem is, interceptors are really expensive atm, if they were cheaper and more available, I think it would be a bit better for the meta. If they're to be your primary air defense, they need to be not 130+ points a pop to get the good ones.

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Postby Rorschach » Sun 2 Mar 2014 17:29

praslovan wrote:

No.

:(

I was hoping for this feature, it would make supply chains really cool, having helicopters flying from the FOB to just behind the front line, and then having trucks take the supplies and drive right into combat.

I mean, really, how am I meant to land an Mi-26 or a Chinook on the front line? if it doesn't get shot down, it'll get spotted from a mile away, and blown to bits by arty...
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”