Can't people understand what a (closed) BETA is?

monochromatic
Chief Warrant Officer

Can't people understand what a (closed) BETA is?

Postby monochromatic » Thu 27 Feb 2014 19:56

Simply put, the amount of ranting over not-final gameplay and the amount of topics that does not concern everybody is staggering right now. I see people complaining about the existence of the new systems instead of how they were implemented, I see people talking about units and their stats/armament as if they were final, people complaining that availability for a given unit is too high or too low as if it was set in stone forever.

I really find difficult do understand that people can't for a moment stop and think that what they see or play is MEANT to change, that is why the game is in BETA in the first place!

I don't know how the closed beta forums are right now but I am afraid to ask, as the general forums are terrible. It pains me to see so many "I haven't played the game ever, but it seems it might possibly suck" or "that new mechanic? it's useless and plain dumb, I don't want to buy the game anymore".

As someone that reads more than comments, I'd like both common users and beta testers to think on what they are doing. All I see on these forums are threads about either how Eugen completely screwed up some mechanics that the general forum can't possibly give a respectable opinion without having played the game (rendering the thread uneccessary) or rants about units/coalitions/categories that are placeholders/not-final . It's even worse when that is done by someone that have not even played a single RD match.

It's getting harder and harder to read these forums, please think a bit more on what you say and how you say it.

RedDevilCG
Colonel

Re: Can't people understand what a (closed) BETA is?

Postby RedDevilCG » Thu 27 Feb 2014 19:57

+1

Lots of stats are placeholders people. Everyone take a breath.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:02

Should stickie this, and just link to it every time somebody makes a stupid post.

Or post the "doom prophet picture.

Closed beta forums are fine btw, mostly its just rage at the navy and arty, nation wise it is pretty much fine for balancing, its mainly a case of finding actual bugs and issues while also providing balance help. Those testers who comment there usually are fine, most the "problematic" testers dont comment there.

yrk yrk
Staff Sergeant

Postby yrk yrk » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:04

+1
here's a rant i can support :)

monochromatic
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby monochromatic » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:08

yrk yrk wrote:+1
here's a rant i can support :)

I'ts a meta-rant, but well... I need to do it for my own mental health.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:25

All the negative things said about the game are usually genuine concerns that the poster has, it doesn't mean they won't buy RD or that they think a feature is useless. Most people understand that it's a beta and as such will be slightly broken, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't voice their concerns. Sure, some people are a little more rude about it than others, but they still should tell the devs what they think is wrong. It's really up to the devs to decide what's worth considering, and the greater the pool of ideas the faster they will be able to find potential issues with the game.

For example, I personally think the US isn't that great compared to many other countries, but that doesn't mean I think it's a broken aspect of the game, it just hasn't met up to expectations, and several things have actually been nerfed to make room for new units which doesn't make a world of sense. Yet despite my many comments about it, I trust that the devs will be able to make the US as viable as they deem it should be, and if they decide that the US must be mediocre then I'll swallow my pride.

Besides, not everything requires hands on experience to comment about, even I can tell rocket arty is extremely powerful and I haven't actually played with it yet. But I have seen 4 consecutive CVs get placed in different spots, never get spotted, but are still killed in single rocket arty barrages.

Just learn to read past some of the more passionate comments.

Darkstar387
Warrant Officer

Postby Darkstar387 » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:28

I'm glad somebody said this. The game is essentially in its prototype phase; that means it will be riddled with bugs, design flaws and inconsistencies BY NATURE. This is really the only time Eugen has experiment with their product and test new or modified features outside of the office and I feel like nobody is putting their trust in the focus group Eugen have selected to test their product.

I trust the Beta testers to help Eugen deliver a final product that reflects everybody's interests. I also believe that any criticism should be passed tastefully and professionally. Creating topic labeled "OMG EUGEN YOU MESSED UP" doesn't help anybody accomplish anything, and it seems like that's all people are saying.

RedDevilCG
Colonel

Postby RedDevilCG » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:34

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:Just learn to read past some of the more passionate comments.
Don't worry. I can assure you that we are doing this. I've already read some comments from people in the general forums that gave me ideas to test in the beta.

Just for those that are panicking about things as the stand in the beta today, they need to cool their pants! :lol:

Jack Sutton
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Jack Sutton » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:37

Well if we all stood by and said nothing about the minor things that need changing then nothing would because eugen would think its ok. I understand what your saying and I realise that nothing is set in stone at thins point but like I said before if you do ask you do get. :)

Panzeh
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Panzeh » Thu 27 Feb 2014 20:39

Yeah, honestly talk about minor changes doesn't really belong on this forum, impressions about broad based mechanics absolutely belong, because they're far more accurate reflections of what the final game might become than nitpicking about things in the armory.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”