Idea for Naval Maps

acegard
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Idea for Naval Maps

Postby acegard » Tue 4 Mar 2014 17:38

I like this idea a lot. From what I've seen it could really help. More focus on marine landings and, as Raven said, relegating ships to a supporting role for your ground forces (much like aircraft serve to support your ground war) will hugely help integrate naval forces into the game.
Image"Crazy" is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Mi-24P can into space!!!
I love the battlefield - a Wargame tune

Mad22
Lieutenant

Postby Mad22 » Tue 4 Mar 2014 17:42

Beowlf wrote:
Mad22 wrote:Does seem like the maps would need to be enormous. Possibly for marine/naval only maps if they are to be introduced.

Not necessarily. Imagine D-Day heaving one big island with, for example, 2 control zones, instead of 3 small ones. I hope that this would allow to accomplish two things.

1) Lessen the influence of naval victory on the whole map. Especially if you wouldn't be able to cap a zone with CV ship.
2) Make amphibious forces a choice worth considering.

Right now, as Raven said, amphibious landings are viable only upon agreeing on heavy restriction in using any other type of unit. And even then, they are not that interesting and heavily favours Pact, with better armed landing crafts.

Alright to be fair that sounds alright. Guess I had larger in mind for some mad reason.

Push for it people.
HOT SHOTS IS MORE REALISTIC THAN TOP GUN. whats that about?

troublmaker
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby troublmaker » Tue 4 Mar 2014 17:43

teslars wrote:The main problem of D-DAY is that if you win the naval fight, you win the battle because :
-You'll lose your only marine/air spawn to the enemy. That's basically mean no way to counter the enemy marine force anymore
-If you take all 3 islands plus the coast ( easy with ships that shot at 8000m ) you earn more points than your enemy even if he take all the ground sector.

A way to balance this would be to increase the values of every sector on the ground except those on the coast for D-Day.
Another way to address this marines spam issue would be to add the same limit of units as planes

This is true of Conquest and Destruction but not of Timed Total Destruction. In timed total destruction there is enough time and energy to use recon and tube artillery to shell out the enemy's fleet and inevitably destroy them. There's also been abuses with heavy tanks taking a couple of shots at some of the ships . It's far cheaper to fully supply a Leopard 2 than a command ship. Because of how the stealth works the ships usually won't get a shot off against carefully microed ships. I mean ships move so insanely slow they cannot dodge this for the life of them.

krogoth21
Sergeant First-Class

Postby krogoth21 » Tue 4 Mar 2014 17:49

I agree with the OP.

The most enjoyable way to do this would be to ensure that the first wave of amphibious landing can be conducted before the enemy fleet has any chance of interfering. This way there would be a land battle on the island, and the fleet combat would decide whether or not you can send more reinforcement.

Sgt._Pepper
Lieutenant

Postby Sgt._Pepper » Tue 4 Mar 2014 18:24

troublmaker wrote:
teslars wrote:The main problem of D-DAY is that if you win the naval fight, you win the battle because :
-You'll lose your only marine/air spawn to the enemy. That's basically mean no way to counter the enemy marine force anymore
-If you take all 3 islands plus the coast ( easy with ships that shot at 8000m ) you earn more points than your enemy even if he take all the ground sector.

A way to balance this would be to increase the values of every sector on the ground except those on the coast for D-Day.
Another way to address this marines spam issue would be to add the same limit of units as planes

This is true of Conquest and Destruction but not of Timed Total Destruction. In timed total destruction there is enough time and energy to use recon and tube artillery to shell out the enemy's fleet and inevitably destroy them. There's also been abuses with heavy tanks taking a couple of shots at some of the ships . It's far cheaper to fully supply a Leopard 2 than a command ship. Because of how the stealth works the ships usually won't get a shot off against carefully microed ships. I mean ships move so insanely slow they cannot dodge this for the life of them.

I saw this in a video, where you were also playing, and they just shelled your fleet to death. I also found it a bit ridicoulus how their tanks shot your ships.
Also the fight for the islands was very boring. There wasn't too much fighting going on.

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Postby Rorschach » Tue 4 Mar 2014 18:25

Sorry, but what is 'D-Day'? Is it a map? In which case, has anyone got a handy link?
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

cramble
Master Sergeant

Postby cramble » Tue 4 Mar 2014 18:27

raventhefuhrer wrote:This thread hasn't gotten much attention, which is too bad because I thought it was a pretty good idea. Was going to do a mock-up in MS Paint later today of how D-Day could be changed.

Go on and make it you have gotten more support now and if you make the picture it only makes a better point of you idea.
The only thing we now here is that ships the way they are in the game now is bad and this sounds like a really good plan to change the way ships play in the game.
I mean its nice that there are landing boats with troops on them but where the hell do you go with them on that d-day map with all those ships that are firing at each other. I honestly cant see where to go to with those boats then.

Like somebody else posted just a while ago make ships like airplanes where in airland battle supporting the ground forces. Or what we are now talking about supporting naval troop landings.

I would say go for it im 100% behind you. Even do i didnt play the beta yet if seen enough videos that dosn''t make me really exiting for naval stuff.
And i don't want to play only the maps that dont have naval units in them i still like the landing boats with troops on them and the riverboats.

So keep it up raven ships need to be supporting units like airplanes not dominating the game.
''Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. We live in a primitive time, don't we? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it.''

Sgt._Pepper
Lieutenant

Postby Sgt._Pepper » Tue 4 Mar 2014 18:50

Rorschach wrote:Sorry, but what is 'D-Day'? Is it a map? In which case, has anyone got a handy link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iVtOGBWwPI

This is a german gameplay of it. He also shows bits of the naval battle.

I couldn't find any pics, but there probably are some in this forum.

Hope this helps you.

EDIT: It also shows arty and tanks shelling the ships. Troublemaker was also in the game, so he probably talked about this one.

Polo
Staff Sergeant

Postby Polo » Tue 4 Mar 2014 19:00

Sgt._Pepper wrote:
I saw this in a video, where you were also playing, and they just shelled your fleet to death. I also found it a bit ridicoulus how their tanks shot your ships.
Also the fight for the islands was very boring. There wasn't too much fighting going on.

Could you provide a link? I would be interested.
On the part about shelling the fleet, it may change with the arty patch doesn't it?

Sgt._Pepper
Lieutenant

Postby Sgt._Pepper » Tue 4 Mar 2014 19:16

Polo wrote:
Sgt._Pepper wrote:

Could you provide a link? I would be interested.
On the part about shelling the fleet, it may change with the arty patch doesn't it?

I provided the link in the post above yours.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”