Idea for Naval Maps

molock'grim
Corporal

Re: Idea for Naval Maps

Postby molock'grim » Tue 4 Mar 2014 19:25

First of all i'm not a beta tester (first post here o/) so i can only see Red Dragon on Youtube (thanks to you guys (mainly attila16)).

I think that warships have to be really powerful simply because that's what they are and they have to be a pain for your opponent if he didn't pay attention to his navy. But the main battle should stay on land supported by air and sea units.

To do so i think that the "High Sea" boats shouldn't be able to go that near of the coast line. That's not their job. They should be able to fight against other boats and to support landing craft only when they are on the way to coast (like during the D-Day).

the costal boats aren't designed for fight against other boat (as support or not) but to support landing craft and the first kms in land (mainly sea to air support i guess?)

while riverboats are supporting land units deeper in land.

What I mean is that boats should have specific purpose like planes (fighter, bomber etc...) and a successful amphibious attack should be:

1. Take control of the high sea with high sea boats

2. Bring coastal boats and landing craft to land infantery, tanks etc...

3. Congrats u have land ur troops

But if your opponents were clever enough, they have entranch a second defense line, out of the line of fire of your boat.

Don't know if i'm clear...

I mean that atm high sea boat can do all the work alone (except river of course).

I agree that boats shouldn't be able to cap zone and i think that a higher cost (specially for high sea boats) would be a needed balance.

PS: english isn't my native language so i hope i'm understandable...
Zoring´s recon rework supporter
Norvegian and danish player since airland battle.
Spoiler : :

cramble
Master Sergeant

Postby cramble » Tue 4 Mar 2014 23:45

i would still like to see ravens planes drawn it is a really good idea, with this idea we atleast have something to do with those transport boats.
''Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. We live in a primitive time, don't we? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it.''

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Wed 5 Mar 2014 00:45

http://imgur.com/a/iNsFC

Here is a link to an album where I've uploaded two photos - one of the original D-Day map, with a unit fire pos for scale, and the second is of my suggested changes. The map I drew was very rough, and could easily be modified or added to - just a proof of concept. I understand this change is very likely not going to be implemented for this map, but I hope it can influence design philosophy going forward - in maps under development and future maps still as yet unthought of.

The idea is that the narrow strait means that in order to engage in an all out naval war, you need to go around the top of the island to get to your opponent. So hopefully the focus is more on getting your troops onto the island rather than engaging with a missile blob.

Ideally, I think the entire island itself would be either one zone with 3 points, or two zones worth 2 each. This is still net less than what it was before where the sea zones totaled 6 points. Also, the starting zones should have their water areas removed, so that they cannot be contested by ships - either that or have ships unable to act as CVs anymore. Again, point values are just off the top of my head, perfectly able to be changed.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

cramble
Master Sergeant

Postby cramble » Wed 5 Mar 2014 01:06

I really think this idea (likely not going to be ingame.) is really well thought and could make the naval landing forces a must have.
I would say 2 capture zones on the island so you need to push each other of the island each time.

The naval will act as support and can still fight each other on the top of the island.

I really like this idea even do it has a small change of making it.
As far as i saw videos now about red dragon its like this each team blobs 10 ships or so, head on fighting each other, missiles everywhere ship dies here ship dies there.
Blablabla team wins moves to main base of the other team takes it over and the game has already bin lost.
I know i know im not a beta tester etc etc allot of things are going to change. But for me at this point im going to play the maps where there isnt any naval to be used and have my fun there.(dosnt mean i would not like to play with naval.)

Only the naval part is bothering me the rest of the game that i saw i really love and cant wait to play. But i rather wait 2 months for this all to be fixed then to play a broken game.

Keep it up raven and i hope more people will support this idea. ;)
''Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. We live in a primitive time, don't we? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it.''

teslars
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby teslars » Wed 5 Mar 2014 01:14

I would like to see this but for an entire map, with all these island around the frontier of south and north korea, i'm sure this is possible.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Wed 5 Mar 2014 04:28

Updated with links that will hopefully be easier to use.

Original D-Day with unit shown for scale: http://i57.tinypic.com/1jkc2p.jpg
Proposed D-Day changes with annotations: http://i60.tinypic.com/16qoli.jpg
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Wed 5 Mar 2014 04:39

raventhefuhrer wrote:Updated with links that will hopefully be easier to use.

PLEASE. I rarely see marine landings on any map, and none on D-Day. This would be great. And if we got landbased AShM launchers, in the naval category,............ :twisted:
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 5 Mar 2014 04:54

raventhefuhrer wrote:Updated with links that will hopefully be easier to use.

Would the bigger ships still be able to get through the strait?
Courtesy of KattiValk

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Wed 5 Mar 2014 04:56

I dunno, probably, but they'd have to go practically single file. It's supposed to be a very unattractive place to attack, but still an option. I tried to curve the island relative to the mainland try prevent missiles from being fired through the strait at most angles, to prevent people from just sniping through it as well.

Wargamer620
Warrant Officer

Postby Wargamer620 » Wed 5 Mar 2014 05:39

I have not been given access to the beta(hint hint hint) but based off of what I have seen on youtube and read here this seems like a pretty good idea. On a different note is there such thing as a land based ASM and if so is one included in the game or even possible to do so?
How to Make a Smokescreen Without Arty

Graphic wrote:Eugen HQ is guarded by eight platoons of Fallschirmjager '90. You'll never make it out alive.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”