New version (v39)

monochromatic
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: New version (v39)

Postby monochromatic » Fri 28 Mar 2014 15:21

My experience was better than Niack's:

Map: 38th Parallel, 2000pt begining (we should have lower settings!), 4000 objective

My Deck: US National, first time I was using it
AI's Deck: Soviet National Deck, full blown attack with high-end stuff
Difficulty: Medium

I gotta say I was impressed. The AI is not perfect, but I noticed big improvements over WAB's.

The good:
It was very aggressive but not spammy, using instead combined arms pushes frequently (it used Heli recon with Mi-24s, T-72s with Biriyusas and the TOR)
It managed to infiltrate soon enough. They sneaked infantry on my zones and destroyed two of my CVs, one of which was my HOME CV with Morskayas, kudos to them.
They also brought a CV to neutralize one of my zones and defended it in a forest with SPAAGs and tanks. Also brought supply trucks.
They proctected one of their own CVs with a BUK, placing it very near.
They reacted to my attacks with the right units frenquently, although not responsably. I used 2 blackhawks to attack Motostrelkis and it brought a SPAAG and got one heli, but the absence of anything else to defend the SPAAG let me kill it.

The Bad:
It didn't try to cap zones. Out of the 4 zones on their side of the river, they capped only one, and used another cv to neutralize one of my zones. They never capped the other 3, although I saw units in one, no units on the other.
It seemed irresponsible at times, sending lonely units over combined pushes, sending AA without ground support or ground support without AA. The first unit I saw was a infiltrating, lone Mi-24W, very expensive and unprotected.
It Kept moving his CVs too frequently (home CV and neutralizing CV), and the annoying sound and display on the screen keeps playing. VERY annoying for me, at least. They did it for no apparent reason, as the CV moved for a fraction of a second.
I sniped one of their CVs with recon and artillery, only for them to put a 2nd CV in the exact same spot. It didn't care that their CV was in a forest but not blinking.
I cought a CV simply because it was in the middle of a road and failed to move on sight of my Abrams tanks.
--

Overall impression: I tried reckless stuff on purpose to see what would still work, and I believe this AI seemed much more interesting to play against. The lack of awareness of their CVs was a big deal breaker though, as it made it too easy for me to win, since they had almost no zones and didn't protect their CVs as they should.

I was losing at the first third of the game, but managed to turn it around and win a major victory in the end.
--

OBS: THERE IS BULLET TIME AND SPEED SETTINGS BELOW THE MINIMAP, THIS IS A GREAT ADDITION! MANY WILL BE PLEASED TO KNOW! :D

...but bullet time is a bit TOO slow IMO. It is slow even for Bullets! "Very Slow" would be alright for me.

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Fri 28 Mar 2014 15:36

Yeah, AI spawns landing craft. And right next to your spawn zone at that!
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Eurofighter
Private First-Class

Postby Eurofighter » Fri 28 Mar 2014 15:50

Another point to add to the bad like above is the AI don't get FOB'S or seem to resupply any of their units. But one of the big changes I like is that you can now speed up or slow down the game which is really good and that the AI are just spamming 1 unit.

TKN_Jez
Corporal

Postby TKN_Jez » Fri 28 Mar 2014 15:57

Has the AI been totally reworked or is it an evolution of the WAB one?

:)

fatfluffycat
Major

Postby fatfluffycat » Fri 28 Mar 2014 16:05

Finally, I been waiting for this for years!
How is possible? / Thread of the Year 2015

yacoub
Warrant Officer

Postby yacoub » Fri 28 Mar 2014 16:26

Thanks for adding AI Skirmish and they can use custom decks! Very exciting!

I did have my first crash of the beta though, in my first Skirmish match.

Where can I send the crash dump file for analysis?

Thanks.

Snowin
First Sergeant

Postby Snowin » Fri 28 Mar 2014 16:47

Ai on Hopy and glory keeps moving and capturing their reiforcement area

Mad22
Lieutenant

Postby Mad22 » Fri 28 Mar 2014 17:13

Loving the speed settings In skirmish.
HOT SHOTS IS MORE REALISTIC THAN TOP GUN. whats that about?

Firepower
Sergeant Major

Postby Firepower » Fri 28 Mar 2014 17:36

Huzzah!

icehawk308
Major

Postby icehawk308 » Fri 28 Mar 2014 20:10

Also noticing AI doesnt seem to use air power, little weird to see all those massive ground swarms moving but little in the air.

This is with decks who have all 5 air slots filled btw

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”