Im trying to decide if I should get W:RD

Sportexit
Corporal

Re: Im trying to decide if I should get W:RD

Postby Sportexit » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:03

I sincerely hope that hes not still talking about Veterancy. I have explained what Im talking about more then once already.
Pergite!

busboy
Warrant Officer

Postby busboy » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:11

Interesting. Sport, looks like you're probably correct.

Sportexit
Corporal

Postby Sportexit » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:17

Yes. It does.

And that translates in to what I wrote in my first post.
Pergite!

busboy
Warrant Officer

Postby busboy » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:19

Ehh, not so fast. I don't share your "game breaking disgust" yet. Maybe I will as I play more, but thus far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Sportexit
Corporal

Postby Sportexit » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:22

I didnt say I felt a game breaking disgust. I said that with my current knowledge I would have waited. There are a lot of strange buffs and nerfs going on and I do not feel that Red Dragon is anywhere near as fun to play as Airland Battle was "pre napalm buff".

Hence, he should not buy this yet. Imo
Pergite!

wekwek_noob
Lieutenant

Postby wekwek_noob » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:24

Yeah I actually decided no to get it first. Ill just go ahead enjoy some other games.

busboy
Warrant Officer

Postby busboy » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:28

Sportexit wrote:I didnt say I felt a game breaking disgust. I said that with my current knowledge I would have waited. There are a lot of strange buffs and nerfs going on and I do not feel that Red Dragon is anywhere near as fun to play as Airland Battle was "pre napalm buff".

Hence, he should not buy this yet. Imo

Ok, fair enough. My opinion is that even if you don't play it now because you don't enjoy betas, it still is worth buying now with the returning customer discount. The added aspects of the game such as countermeasures and fixed immersion killers like rapid fire, non-lethal artillery make this a general step in the right direction.

Sportexit
Corporal

Postby Sportexit » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:33

Yes, there are a lot of cool stuff too, but in my opinion balance is king in every multiplayer game. There is always the risk of him getting fed up with the game completely if he find that he has to reconfigure hes decks and play style on a patch to patch basis.

I have no doubts that they will eventually fix the game balance to a satisfactory standard but as it stands right now, I cant recommend this over Airland Battle.
Pergite!

philstat
First Sergeant

Postby philstat » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:36

It's a little rougher around the edges than what I expected, graphics wise especially, the I love this game the overall series and I'm very pleased with my purchase. Anyone saying this game is a cut and paste is absolutely full of it, there are SEVERAL new units in this game that were not present in ALB, several. This game is going to be a gem once it's polished a little more, honestly - it's a gem that's just going to get better.

busboy
Warrant Officer

Postby busboy » Sun 30 Mar 2014 17:55

Sportexit wrote:Yes, there are a lot of cool stuff too, but in my opinion balance is king in every multiplayer game. There is always the risk of him getting fed up with the game completely if he find that he has to reconfigure hes decks and play style on a patch to patch basis.

I have no doubts that they will eventually fix the game balance to a satisfactory standard but as it stands right now, I cant recommend this over Airland Battle.

Yes, but is the fact that you don't want to play it now but will later on a reason to pay more money for it later on rather than pre-purchasing it now?

Also, I get what you're saying, but this community is obsessed with "balance" to the point of irrationality. "Balance" is the Lord's name in vain in Wargame. It is a word that consistently gets used to justify the stupidest whines and most unrealistic suggestions.

The game should seek a realistic feel as its main goal. Balance naturally follows because "REDFOR" and "BLUFOR" were in constant competition with each other. While one side might have a weaker widget than the other, they probably have a strong sprocket to compensate for it as a result.

That's a general comment, not directed specifically at you. I'll use our present anecdote to reinforce the point though; the fundamental problem of a unit doing more damage based on their training might effect balance. Why? Because training doesn't make a warhead have a bigger boom. The issue is, theoretically, the lack of realistic feel that results. The imbalance is the symptom, not the cause.

I would submit with this example that there might be other considerations. An elite trained guy with a LAW might be justified to do more damage to that tank because he is better trained to hit a vulnerable spot, etc. I haven't made up my mind yet about this infantry training issue yet. However, if you view Wargame as a realtime, 3D abstraction of actual life events (think a tabletop wargame with dice rolls replicating combat) then you can better consider how positive or negative the abstractions are.

The beauty of the Wargame series is the fact that it feels more realistic than any other such game without actually being a simulator. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”