LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

User avatar
trotskygrad
General
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:09
Location: две тысячи лет война
Contact:

LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby trotskygrad » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:24

First things first: I'm aware this thread is on very unstable ground, given that this has been said:

[EUG]MadMat wrote:LAV-25 are not troop transport. Period.


I'm here to post the reasons why this should be reconsidered, from an Authenticity perspective

US Marine Deck needs some love, as stated in the other thread

Apart from the Phrog, as stated in the other thread, the LAV-25 is the most pressing issue.

Many posters, who have posted against it in the past given it's modern use solely as a scout vehicle, forgot to look back and take a look at the cold war deployment of the LAV-25, in which it served a transport role.

Given that we can cram 15 morskaya pekhotas in a BTR-70 with a 7 person capacity, cramming US Marines into a LAV-25 isn't so far fetched either.

Let's look at MadMat's previous posts on the topic.

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:Marine infantry shouldn't ride in LAV-25s in the first place. IRL they carry scout teams, but they're not used as APCs (as that's what the AAV-7 was for).

True. That is fixed in Red Dragon.


The second statement isn't exactly true. Even the original poster MadMat replied to has gone back on it.

panzersaurkrautwefer: kinda changed my mind though. It's 100% only used for recon NOW but in the 1980's it looks like it had a light mechanized infantry role
panzersaurkrautwefer: it's one of the pitfalls of trusting my opinion. I'm a very post 2000 veteran who thinks cold war stuff is neat vs someone who knows that stuff front to back

Leatherneck2382 wrote:Not sure why the change, as it was correct in ALB. The US Marines felt that the Soviet Mechanized Infantry would overwhelm them without a fast armored transport. Thus, the LAV-25 was developed as the solution. It wasn't until 1994, until they were structured into Light Armored Recon, and even starting carrying less Marines per LAV-25.

"The Battalions primary functions are to provide fire support and ground mobility, as well as conduct reconnaissance and security missions."
FMFM 6-30 Light Armored Infantry Operations 16 October 1990


therefore, I think the LAV-25 should return as a transport, in order to be authentic and to give marine decks a viable fast transport that they thought they needed in time frame to counter the BTRs that are present in game.

If we want to get really crazy, it should also be available in Motorized, as it was trialed in it as well.

panzersaurkrautwefer: it started off as a "recon/light transport" for the Marines, AND a light transport for the motorized 9th ID testbed

What we want:

1-2 Cards of LAV-25s, available for most major infantry types for the marines (marines, stinger, smaw, assault engies)
Last edited by trotskygrad on Fri 4 Apr 2014 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

User avatar
NATO Potato
Captain
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun 20 Jan 2013 01:22

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby NATO Potato » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:29

If it did go back to carrying troops I wouldn't mind. But I like them as they are now because I can get them cheaper. And the availability would get nerfed too as with all other IFVs

User avatar
trotskygrad
General
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:09
Location: две тысячи лет война
Contact:

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby trotskygrad » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:38

NATO Potato wrote:If it did go back to carrying troops I wouldn't mind. But I like them as they are now because I can get them cheaper. And the availability would get nerfed too as with all other IFVs


cheaper you say?

Image
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

User avatar
another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 13128
Joined: Sun 21 Jul 2013 05:18
Location: Hiatus
Contact:

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby another505 » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:39

i would love them to be back in marine
while at it, are anzac lav-25 with the tow2 are used as transport during coldwar?
Image
Of Salt

Lord Helmchen
Major-General
Posts: 3887
Joined: Tue 5 Mar 2013 00:23
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby Lord Helmchen » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:42

trotskygrad wrote:Thread

^This. If it was used as a transport for the marines in the cold war it should be a transport for the marines in a cold war game. This is like putting the Marder1A3 in the vehicles section and saying that it cannot transport 10 men and is used to provide fire support for the Panzergrenadiere.
Also BTR-80A costs less than the LAV-25 but has better armor, a better AC and is able to transport troops. BTR-90 costs 5 points more though it has better armor, a better AC, is able to transport troops AND got an exceptional good ATGM. :roll:
EDIT: Damn, partially ninja'd by trotsky.
Last edited by Lord Helmchen on Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
NATO Potato
Captain
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun 20 Jan 2013 01:22

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby NATO Potato » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:43

trotskygrad wrote:
NATO Potato wrote:If it did go back to carrying troops I wouldn't mind. But I like them as they are now pet card because I can get them cheaper. And the availability would get nerfed too as with all other IFVs


cheaper you say?

Yes because you are leaving out the extra 10-15 points the infantry squad costs. And the fact you can get at most like 8 btr80a per card because they carry infantry. Just my opinion.

admiral9
Lieutenant
Posts: 1035
Joined: Wed 22 May 2013 18:48
Contact:

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby admiral9 » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:45

Lord Helmchen wrote:
trotskygrad wrote:Thread

^This. If it was used as a transport for the marines in the cold war it should be a transport for the marines in a cold war game. This is like putting the Marder1A3 in the vehicles section and saying that it cannot transport 10 men and is used to provide fire support for the Panzergrenadiere.
Also BTR-80A costs less than the LAV-25 but has better armor, a better AC and is able to transport troops. BTR-90 costs 5 points more though it has better armor, a better AC, is able to transport troops AND got an exceptional good ATGM. :roll:
EDIT: Damn, partially ninja'd by trotsky.


LAV is priced from ALB stats not from RD stats if you ask me, just like a massive amount of other units. (T80U in my personal opinion comes to mind)
Image
daywalkerzyx wrote:Elite inf really aren't a problem.

User avatar
LoneRifle
Major-General
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed 3 Jul 2013 17:11
Location: Cackalacky
Contact:

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby LoneRifle » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:47

I've complained about the BTR/LAV discrepancies before. Thank you for bringing these things to life Trot. :D
Image

User avatar
SKLKNKR
Brigadier
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sat 4 Jan 2014 08:34
Contact:

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby SKLKNKR » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:47

another505 wrote:i would love them to be back in marine
while at it, are anzac lav-25 with the tow2 are used as transport during coldwar?


No, sadly. I'm fairly sure ASLAV-25s were only ever used in the a reconnaissance role, seeing as they also have ASLAV-PC's, something the Marines don't.
Last edited by SKLKNKR on Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:51, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Spoiler : :
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks to F-22 for the avatar and Iris for the signature

User avatar
trotskygrad
General
Posts: 6444
Joined: Mon 17 Sep 2012 16:09
Location: две тысячи лет война
Contact:

Re: LAV-25 as a transport (Authenticity perspective)

Postby trotskygrad » Thu 3 Apr 2014 20:47

NATO Potato wrote:
trotskygrad wrote:
NATO Potato wrote:If it did go back to carrying troops I wouldn't mind. But I like them as they are now pet card because I can get them cheaper. And the availability would get nerfed too as with all other IFVs


cheaper you say?

Yes because you are leaving out the extra 10-15 points the infantry squad costs. And the fact you can get at most like 8 btr80a per card because they carry infantry. Just my opinion.

I know, I'm saying that it would make sense for it to be cheaper per vehicle with infantry, while the whole combo would still be more expensive.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 43 guests