Noob needs help

Koekemoeroetoe
Private

Noob needs help

Postby Koekemoeroetoe » Tue 8 Apr 2014 21:56

Hey guys,

So, I've been playing Wargame Red Dragon in multiplayer mode lately, but I keep getting slaughtered every. single. freaking. time. I have several decks, both BLUFOR and REDFOR. I just barely manage to get any kills with my units, they get destroyed before the enemy is even in range. Defending a spot in conquest mode is useless this way. I do use recon's, if possible with exceptional sights, or else very good. In most of the decks I have at least one napalm bomber and a cluster/carpet bomber. I've got several tanks, from expensive to really cheap. It doesn't matter what units I use, I keep getting annihilated... For example, an enemy T-72 WILK destroyed my two M1 Abrams (80$ units), even before these tanks had hit the T-72 more than 2 times. Even when it hit, the T-72 took like 1 bar damage, while a hit on my M1 took like 5 bars at once.

Now, I don't mind losing a game, as long as the match is fair. However this way, with me standing no chance at all, it's starting to get really annoying for me to play. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, and I hope you guys can give me a few tips, maybe some suggestions for good (starter) decks. So, what kind of units might give me a bit more of a chance on the battlefield? And any tips for me? What units to avoid, what to have in my decks definitely etc. If more info on my playstyle is needed, please ask.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Koekie (your n00b in need :mrgreen: )

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Re: Noob needs help

Postby Rorschach » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:06

Provide a replay and I'd be happy to take a look.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

Ltankhsd
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Ltankhsd » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:10

Koekemoeroetoe
Private

Postby Koekemoeroetoe » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:17

Oke, these are two games from tonight:

http://alb-replays.info/rdbeta/php/api.php?download=272

http://alb-replays.info/rdbeta/php/api.php?download=273

The first one was destruction mode, unfortunately my whole team abandoned me, so it was a definite loss (1 VS 4 players). Second one was conquest mode, I tried defending my spot, but I just got detroyed by a few good tanks (like 1 or 2 Leopard @A5 and Leclerc tanks).

Cheers,

Koekemoeroetoe

GabrielColt
Sergeant

Postby GabrielColt » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:23

I think the best tip I can give you and this: train with AI. Start in Easy until you are comfortable, then increase to medium, and train until you can defeat the Very Hard AI (or even Hard) in a reasonable manner. Then you start actively playing in multiplayer (it worked for me :D ), and try to test different decks to find a perfect (or almost) to your playing style

But if you want a guide this Is very Good:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153388204(I know this Is a ALB guide But work very well in WRD)

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:25

You may try and contact some friendly bunch like PLF... it's likely you'll get at least a few pointers.

Jereth wrote:
  • Connect to our TeamSpeak server (91.205.193.55:11201)
  • Play some games with us
  • Don't be a jerk
If you have questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to post here or on our forum, or contact one of our officers.

Ltankhsd
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Ltankhsd » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:31

While some people say play against the AI I personally don't recommend that. The AI cheats by always knowing where your stuff is so you cannot sneak up on it. I think it is much more forgiving to play on 10v10 servers since your teammates can make up for some of your slack as a new player. And you can see how your teammates are playing as it is happening. Perhaps just pick a zone to take in the initial rush and work on defending that and then throw some of your weight behind teammates attacks and pay attention to flares and chat to see where help might be needed.

Grunt
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Grunt » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:32

Yeah, could really use a replay and your deck string or picture of your deck.

I've got two useful tips though...

1) Always keep recon around your flanks. Keep your back covered at all times. An decent infantry squad beside your command to take out scouts goes a long way too.

2) When you click on an enemy unit, press "i" and it'll show it's stats.

The base M1s only have 13 AP and 15 front armor, and WILKs have 18 AP power and 15 front armor.

Base M1s have 2100m cannon range, that means they'll only be able to damage the WILK's 15 frontal armor at 1400 meters or less. (AP increases by 1 per 350 meters closer to target as far as I know) While the WILK can damage M1s and shoot at them at it's max range of 2275m because of it's superior AP of 18 (Versus M1's 15 front armor) while the base Abrams can't even shoot at it at that range.

So by the time they even manage to get close enough to shoot, they'll be heavily damaged and panicked. I suggest trying to use ATGMs or getting infantry or tanks close through cover if your tanks aren't as good as the enemy's.

SpitfireMK-Pony
Warrant Officer

Postby SpitfireMK-Pony » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:35

First off, only play USA or USSR if you are starting out (it already sounds like your playing USA) as they are the easiest nations, equipped with every type of unit you could ever need.

Use more, cheaper units, as opposed to a few, high end tanks and planes. With thing like Challenger 2's, and T-80U's they require quite a bit of micromanaging to keep alive, and to fight effectively. Grab some cheaper tanks like M1 Abrams, M60 Pattons, T-62's. Use them in groups, its easier to manage a group or two of crappy tanks, just attack move and reverse everywhere. Same with planes.

Theres no real need to have your exspensive units die if you cant use them yet :P Start with the simpler stuff.

Rabidpalidinski
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Rabidpalidinski » Tue 8 Apr 2014 22:47

I agree with everything everyone has said here. All I really have to say is don't give up and keep trying different tactics. There's always more then one way to play this game (some people do better in different roles but some people are good at various ones). To keep this short and to the point, play different maps with different decks and different people, always taking note what works when and what doesn't work when. Good luck and hopefully after a while you'll be kicking ass like the best. Best wishes, Rabid
<3 MIGHTY SOVIET SPACE BMP
"I solve tactical problems, not practical problems" 8-)
Please fix the PGZ-63's fixed wing cannon range :(

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”